ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Driver training
-
frankieboy
- Posts: 303
- Joined: 12 May 2008, 18:34
Driver training
Anyone know what the driver training involves, been told that it's 4 hours long, 1 in the office and 3 driving.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Driver training
Its an assessment rather than training. Basically to make sure you can follow the rules of the road and maneuver the vehicle safely. The indoor bit IIRC is hazard perception.frankieboy wrote:Anyone know what the driver training involves, been told that it's 4 hours long, 1 in the office and 3 driving.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Barbel
- Posts: 593
- Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
- Gender: Male
Re: Driver training
Mine was 2 hours long and involved a lot of reversing into parking spaces. He wasn't happy with me at first so out for another 2 hours then I passed.
-
Burghboy
- Posts: 224
- Joined: 21 Oct 2013, 09:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Driver training
From what I understand you can't fail, they just decide weather your high or low risk!
-
Queeg500
- Posts: 37
- Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 11:24
- Gender: Male
Re: Driver training
You have a lesson in the office for an hour. Then you're out on the road where you are assessed and given a risk rating. I had to do a driving commentary during the last 30 minutes, which is not as easy as it sounds. It was an incredibly boring 4 hours although I did learn a few bits.
-
manboss
- Posts: 110
- Joined: 20 Feb 2013, 15:55
- Gender: Male
Re: Driver training
Mine lasted an hour in total, did it this year, consisted of about half an hour driving and then the assessor briefly showing me relevant info on his laptop that I cannot remember what that was, I got the impression the guy was more bothered about getting home!
I've heard of a few people failing, in fact I guy in our office was so bad the assessor had to drive back to the office, does make me wonder if the guy failed it on purpose
I've heard of a few people failing, in fact I guy in our office was so bad the assessor had to drive back to the office, does make me wonder if the guy failed it on purpose
-
stan_lers
- Posts: 136
- Joined: 04 Nov 2014, 21:52
- Gender: Male
Re: Driver training
I went out in one of the huge LDV vans, basically had to drive around town for 40 minutes (during rush hour), showing that I know to go wide around corners to avoid the curb, things like that. Had to pull into a quiet road to do a few manoeuvres. It's not a test and it's probably really hard to fail, more to see if you're capable of driving a van, and if you can drive the biggest van in the DO then you're okay to drive a Bipper or whatever else they use.
-
jbbicker
- Posts: 15
- Joined: 24 Dec 2013, 14:31
- Gender: Male
Re: Driver training
On the regular vans mine took about 45 minutes. That was 3 years ago though. I recently did my changeover for the transit van and it was dragged out over 4 hours as that's what the trainer/assessor was paid for and he would come in for some stick had he clocked off early. There was no test involved. Just driving and talking about driving with some general small-talk to kill time.