ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
People opening doors whilst you are putting mail through!
-
sophie97
- Posts: 169
- Joined: 17 Jul 2013, 15:10
- Gender: Female
People opening doors whilst you are putting mail through!
Does this really annoy anyone else, halfway through putting mail through, the door opens up, sometimes yanking you inside. One time it happened, it smiled said hi, with the letters still halfway in, the customer then decided to pull them out and in doing so tore one of the letters and muttered some abuse towards me under her breath 
-
dave72
- Posts: 415
- Joined: 30 Nov 2010, 14:54
- Gender: Male
Re: People opening doors whilst you are putting mail through
Or you opening the door while posting the mail 
-
Jpro747
- Posts: 1342
- Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
- Gender: Male
Re: People opening doors whilst you are putting mail through
Yeah, especially when your casually ramming something through 
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Re: People opening doors whilst you are putting mail through
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
donein
- Posts: 136
- Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 10:53
- Location: north devon
Re: People opening doors whilst you are putting mail through
Dorset Plodder wrote:Yeah makes me laugh every time. I've got a habit of jamming any larger packet against the door frame while I'm sorting out my PDA etc. Often get caught out when some keen customer's watched me walking up the path and open the door before I'm ready!
Yeath I can relate to that you have to smile
-
chrisj
- Posts: 1883
- Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
- Gender: Male
Re: People opening doors whilst you are putting mail through
Customer with 2 letter boxes: one said put the letter in the other one, and the gate has a 'watch out for dog'. I put the letter into the one recommended (I can hear the dog barking already at the other door). Casually started to walk away and felt a movement behind me - something breathing on my calf. I jumped so high! Customer had the cheek to say, it wont hurt you! What?
Did she open the door on purpose or was it just a coincidence?
Did she open the door on purpose or was it just a coincidence?
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Re: People opening doors whilst you are putting mail through
Dogs..... Hate the little bastards!
Had the same thing the other day, rung the bell, customer opened the door and the dog ran straight out and started running around me barking! "He won't hurt you he says"! Too late I'd already twatted the little bastard with the bundle of mail I had in my hand. Dog went of whining....I thought, "Yeah you just say something"! 
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
sophie97
- Posts: 169
- Joined: 17 Jul 2013, 15:10
- Gender: Female
Re: People opening doors whilst you are putting mail through
Ive never had any problems with dogs, fact is, if you are confidant around them, they wont bother you, aside from the 1% that are nuts. I hear so many stories of posties hitting them, kicking, running. Fact is dogs are faster and more agile so you are playing into their strengths.Dorset Plodder wrote:Dogs..... Hate the little bastards!Had the same thing the other day, rung the bell, customer opened the door and the dog ran straight out and started running around me barking! "He won't hurt you he says"! Too late I'd already twatted the little bastard with the bundle of mail I had in my hand. Dog went of whining....I thought, "Yeah you just say something"!
if I walk into a garden, and a dog runs at me, I litteraly just stand my ground, dog will run up to you, if its aggressive it growl and snarl and by this point the owner is usually out having heard the barking.
-
chrisj
- Posts: 1883
- Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
- Gender: Male
Re: People opening doors whilst you are putting mail through
Giving the number of dogs in this country. 1% bastard dogs is more than enough to cause serious damage and hurt even to someone as confident as you.
Some dogs are just aggressive, others are badly treated, others are bred to be hostile to intruders or people invading their space and some pesky little dogs will simply just nip you whether you stand your ground or not.
Even a good dog might be having a bad day just like the rest of us - some dogs get shouted at all the time, some get food dangle in front of their face, some get beat and the owners get away with it most time but the odd times, the dogs 'bite' back: including some that even eat their owners...
Its not worth the risk - if you can avoid a dog then do so. However, when faced with a potential dangerous situation, being confident helps but at the same time, try and provide a barrier between you and the dog and/or create a distraction e.g with your bag, letters, parcel...
Some dogs are just aggressive, others are badly treated, others are bred to be hostile to intruders or people invading their space and some pesky little dogs will simply just nip you whether you stand your ground or not.
Even a good dog might be having a bad day just like the rest of us - some dogs get shouted at all the time, some get food dangle in front of their face, some get beat and the owners get away with it most time but the odd times, the dogs 'bite' back: including some that even eat their owners...
Its not worth the risk - if you can avoid a dog then do so. However, when faced with a potential dangerous situation, being confident helps but at the same time, try and provide a barrier between you and the dog and/or create a distraction e.g with your bag, letters, parcel...
-
OnAFlyer
- Posts: 1938
- Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
- Gender: Male
Re: People opening doors whilst you are putting mail through
It used to be worse when someone opened the door while you were trying to ram one of those Britannia Videos through after getting it stuck halfway.
-
jimmynailsalive
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 304
- Joined: 28 Dec 2013, 13:36
- Gender: Male
Re: People opening doors whilst you are putting mail through
I have one wee shitty dog on my round that attacks the windows and blinds inside its house when it sees me, goes absolutely berserk. It has to wear a muzzle when out and when it sees a postie it is straining at the lead wheezing trying to get at us. Surely a dog like this should be put down as only a matter of time before it gets out and does some serious damage?
-
Barbel
- Posts: 593
- Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
- Gender: Male
Re: People opening doors whilst you are putting mail through
Oh god yeah it's so annoying, also can be embarrassing like others have said, when you're casually ramming something through then it gets stuck. 
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16692
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Re: People opening doors whilst you are putting mail through
I once had a packet that wouldn't fit through the box and there was no answer.Barbel wrote:Oh god yeah it's so annoying, also can be embarrassing like others have said, when you're casually ramming something through then it gets stuck.
There was an open window above the door. It was slightly too high for me to reach up and post it through (I did consider standing on the HCT) but it looked like a well aimed throw would serve me well enough. It was a soft packet. It wasn't breakable.
Anyway it stuck in the window. As I considered how to retrieve it, the door opened and a less than impressed punter told me in no uncertain terms how stupid my actions were.
It wasn't my finest moment.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Re: People opening doors whilst you are putting mail through
Glad you don't have problems with Dogs Sophiesophie97 wrote:
Ive never had any problems with dogs, fact is, if you are confidant around them, they wont bother you, aside from the 1% that are nuts. I hear so many stories of posties hitting them, kicking, running. Fact is dogs are faster and more agile so you are playing into their strengths.
if I walk into a garden, and a dog runs at me, I litteraly just stand my ground, dog will run up to you, if its aggressive it growl and snarl and by this point the owner is usually out having heard the barking.
If I can be bothered I explain 1) What if your dog escapes? 2) What if he runs in the road and is run over? 3) What happens if I step back and tread on his paw breaking it? 4) What if I step back, fall over your dog, break my arm and sue you? etc. TBH I can't be arsed with them and just don't go in...Problem solved!
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: People opening doors whilst you are putting mail through
I once had one of those plastic packets containing clothes about 15" x 10/12" in order to deliver to this house I had to walk round the back which involved walking round a road and in to a cul de sac because there was a locked gate. I thought it would be OK to lob it over the gate and under the car port
wrong, the bloody wind caught it and it ended on the car port roof
needless to say I ended up going round the back climbing the metal pole, hanging on to the roof and fishing it off with a cane from the customers garden. They always say more haste less speed. Who said safe place was a new thing?