ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Do letterboxes need modernising?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
sophie97
Posts: 169
Joined: 17 Jul 2013, 15:10
Gender: Female

Do letterboxes need modernising?

Post by sophie97 »

With the amount of magazines, Graze boxes, the 'this will fit through the letter box' things coming through etc, its a right pain/time consuming trying to get it all through.

'Mail' if we can even call it that now, is getting bigger yet doors with the exception of a few are still using the same size flaps that were designed for normal letters.

Not to mention the postcard sized, verticle crushing flaps.
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Do letterboxes need modernising?

Post by krussel »

Yes there should be a "standard" to which letterboxes meet. Just rounding off the corners on the outer flap would be a start and save cuts on the hands.

Modern boxes are a nightmare with a single letter to push through. Its not the size but the fact you have to fight 2 spring flaps both in and out plus really tight brushes. :evil/mad
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

Re: Do letterboxes need modernising?

Post by datasaint »

RM could have been more proactive about this back in the 60s/70s by making up a standardised letterbox size that all new houses had to follow.

It would help improved efficiency as well as brought more business, because businesses would know 75% of houses have X size postbox we can market this material to them.
dave72
Posts: 415
Joined: 30 Nov 2010, 14:54
Gender: Male

Re: Do letterboxes need modernising?

Post by dave72 »

BT Homehubs "WE FIT THROUGH MOST LETTERBOXES" <<<< liars!!!
OnAFlyer
Posts: 1938
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
Gender: Male

Re: Do letterboxes need modernising?

Post by OnAFlyer »

dave72 wrote:BT Homehubs "WE FIT THROUGH MOST LETTERBOXES" <<<< liars!!!
I'm still waiting for the day when I get my first one of those through!
daveallum
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 175
Joined: 09 Mar 2010, 17:42
Gender: Male

Re: Do letterboxes need modernising?

Post by daveallum »

And also do away with those letterboxes that are ground level,in the majority of Europe they all have to be at least waist high.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Do letterboxes need modernising?

Post by Dorset Plodder »

I thought that H&S regulations had stipulated waist high A4 wide letterboxes (for new buildings) during one of those Brussells Directives. And I thought At Last...Thank God for that! :pray

However discussing this with a few Double Glazing fitters, they basically told me...there's no such regulations and we just do what the customer wants! :sad:
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
spiderj
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 969
Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
Gender: Male
Location: ctp

Re: Do letterboxes need modernising?

Post by spiderj »

OnAFlyer wrote:
dave72 wrote:BT Homehubs "WE FIT THROUGH MOST LETTERBOXES" <<<< liars!!!
I'm still waiting for the day when I get my first one of those through!
It'll happen,I won't admit to pushing hard and squeezing it in.....
:chuckle
I won
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Do letterboxes need modernising?

Post by Dorset Plodder »

BT Homehubs aren't the problem. I've seen some letterboxes you couldn't get a CD through....I jest not! :shock:
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
janitor
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 689
Joined: 28 Aug 2007, 16:18
Gender: Male

Re: Do letterboxes need modernising?

Post by janitor »

Oh come on a lot of people can't even manage to put a number on their house, can't expect them to have a decent letterbox.
salomon
Posts: 52
Joined: 28 Nov 2014, 21:18
Gender: Female

Re: Do letterboxes need modernising?

Post by salomon »

Its the people who go to the trouble of puting a metal box on the wall which is even smaller than a letter box I don't understand.You know the ones that you have to fold an A4 envelope in half and then sort of force it into the box by bending it in, lol. Got to love the newer bigger boxes though!!
jimmynailsalive
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 304
Joined: 28 Dec 2013, 13:36
Gender: Male

Re: Do letterboxes need modernising?

Post by jimmynailsalive »

Funny enough today was the first I had someone complaining I had folded something before I put it through her letter box, had taken extra care before Christmas but no hanging about now with cards, this was like a skinny bookmark card and after her whining voice screeched "why did you have to bend it" I came back to the door and asked her to try and force it past the draft excluder which she refused to do.

About time RM made it illegal as it is in other countries for the lower letterboxes as never in a million years is it safe for your back with some of them and maybe we should start putting more 739's through for the catelogues that are in danger of taking the letterboxes through with them.
spiderj
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 969
Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
Gender: Male
Location: ctp

Re: Do letterboxes need modernising?

Post by spiderj »

Dorset Plodder wrote:BT Homehubs aren't the problem. I've seen some letterboxes you couldn't get a CD through....I jest not! :shock:
Push harder?
I won
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Do letterboxes need modernising?

Post by Lounge Lizard »

Dorset Plodder wrote:BT Homehubs aren't the problem. I've seen some letterboxes you couldn't get a CD through....I jest not! :shock:
Yes, and some of those can't be enlarged because they're in doors of listed buildings. :sad:
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Do letterboxes need modernising?

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Yep they're the ones Lizard. I always suggest they get a nice Old Fashioned looking Mail Box and fix it to the wall, but they don't seem to get the message. Even when I 739 them and they have to come to the DO to collect their DVD/CD, and I mean the Rental type not the larger Cardboard Amazon type! :Very Happy
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)