ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

shares advice needed

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
osgoody1970
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 360
Joined: 21 Jun 2011, 13:44
Gender: Male

shares advice needed

Post by osgoody1970 »

i have just been IHR and they have written to me, asking what I want to do with my shares(729) I must confess to being a little perplexed with the 7&8 pages of rules that come with them, how much are they worth? will I pay tax on them, can I can still keep them? do not need the money at the mo, but do not know what to do???? any suggestions???? :cuppa
rhino49
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1644
Joined: 04 Jun 2007, 21:50
Gender: Male
Location: At home with my feet up

Re: shares advice needed

Post by rhino49 »

£4:23 per share at the moment - they charge a small handling fee for selling them and usually do so within 48 hours of receipt of your instruction to sell - if you have the full allocation i.e. about 729 shares you would get a little over £3000 at present. I sold mine and treated it as a nice leaving present from RM.
We wish to serve - but we will not be servile
holly123
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 220
Joined: 24 Jan 2012, 12:45
Gender: Male

Re: shares advice needed

Post by holly123 »

Hi sorry for being nosey but how much is IHR worth to a full timer thanks :roll:
RobertT
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 6693
Joined: 09 Sep 2007, 14:26
Gender: Male

Re: shares advice needed

Post by RobertT »

osgoody1970 wrote:i have just been IHR and they have written to me, asking what I want to do with my shares(729) I must confess to being a little perplexed with the 7&8 pages of rules that come with them, how much are they worth?
As rhino49 says, the current price is £4.23 per share or £3,083 in total.
will I pay tax on them
As you’re taking IHR you are a good leaver, so will not pay any tax or NI.
can I can still keep them?
Yes you can keep all of them if you want to or you can choose to keep some and sell the rest.
do not need the money at the mo, but do not know what to do???? any suggestions???? :cuppa
It’s a personal decision really, and nobody has a crystal ball but if you think the price might fall then selling now could be a good idea. Equally holding on to them for longer may see an increase. Whatever you do, they were free, so you’ll gain either way.
Links to all RM pension related websites are here
RobertT
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 6693
Joined: 09 Sep 2007, 14:26
Gender: Male

Re: shares advice needed

Post by RobertT »

holly123 wrote:Hi sorry for being nosey but how much is IHR worth to a full timer thanks :roll:
Assuming it's 'IHR with lump sum' then it would be 34 weeks pay plus up to 12 weeks PILON(payment in lieu of notice).
Links to all RM pension related websites are here