ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Best way to do door2doors ?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
joe110
Posts: 5
Joined: 27 Aug 2012, 22:49
Gender: Male

Best way to do door2doors ?

Post by joe110 »

Just wondered what everyone thought the best way is to do door2doors. I always do 1/6th a day but lots put them all in and just take them where there going through out the week. Some even do them all on one day to get it out the way.
Last edited by TrueBlueTerrier on 28 Dec 2014, 05:01, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged threads
joe110
Posts: 5
Joined: 27 Aug 2012, 22:49
Gender: Male

Best way to do door2doors ?

Post by joe110 »

Just wondered what everyone thought the best way is to do door2doors. I always do 1/6th a day but lots put them all in and just take them where there going through out the week. Some even do them all on one day to get it out the way.
enskied
Posts: 1877
Joined: 16 Aug 2013, 17:14
Gender: Male

Re: Best way to do door2doors ?

Post by enskied »

Depends on the frame and Partner...Single slots EASY..set em in take where you are going.
tansorboy
Posts: 355
Joined: 22 Jan 2012, 12:41
Gender: Male

Re: Best way to do door2doors ?

Post by tansorboy »

joe110 wrote:Just wondered what everyone thought the best way is to do door2doors. I always do 1/6th a day but lots put them all in and just take them where there going through out the week. Some even do them all on one day to get it out the way.
Stick em under a hedge - that's what my coach told me!
dundee
Posts: 41
Joined: 03 Mar 2010, 12:06
Gender: Male

Re: Best way to do door2doors ?

Post by dundee »

would love to know how guys have time to prep more than a sixth of door2door in their indoor time?Answer take your bloody breaks and don't start early idiots.
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: Best way to do door2doors ?

Post by bustedflush »

Door-dustbins are best got rid of early. Usually throw them all off Sat. reason being Monday is a busy day for letters and light on packets hence 80%+ are gone by the heavier days. Funnily enough on one round I went for a piss in a thicket and found a stack of leaflets dumped by the tree I was watering. Don't think they were RM ones, and wasn't going to pick one up as they were covered in yellow rain by then.
5plusbonusball
Posts: 1136
Joined: 12 Jan 2012, 20:50
Gender: Male
Location: up north of watford

Re: Best way to do door2doors ?

Post by 5plusbonusball »

Would love to see how long a bundle would last on my new log burner but hard to smuggle them out at hometime :Very Happy . And we do them in loops , a couple of loops a day so all gone by saturday.
Why are lino's paid full-time ??
celerycelery
Posts: 675
Joined: 20 Sep 2007, 16:44

Re: Best way to do door2doors ?

Post by celerycelery »

bustedflush wrote:Door-dustbins are best got rid of early. Usually throw them all off Sat. reason being Monday is a busy day for letters and light on packets hence 80%+ are gone by the heavier days. Funnily enough on one round I went for a piss in a thicket and found a stack of leaflets dumped by the tree I was watering. Don't think they were RM ones, and wasn't going to pick one up as they were covered in yellow rain by then.
Do you throw them in during work hours on the Saturday or in your own time? Never understood it either way to be honest as its built into the next weeks workload.
dundee
Posts: 41
Joined: 03 Mar 2010, 12:06
Gender: Male

Re: Best way to do door2doors ?

Post by dundee »

bustedflush wrote:Door-dustbins are best got rid of early. Usually throw them all off Sat. reason being Monday is a busy day for letters and light on packets hence 80%+ are gone by the heavier days. Funnily enough on one round I went for a piss in a thicket and found a stack of leaflets dumped by the tree I was watering. Don't think they were RM ones, and wasn't going to pick one up as they were covered in yellow rain by then.
shouldn't be touching them on a Saturday that's the following weeks work,get a grip.get used to working to your time every day.most likely redundancies next couple of years,guys still not doing job properly,f***ing it up for everyone else.if you worked in Tesco,would you stack extra shelfs that you weren't meant to do?would you go on check out before your start time?would you work through your break?
toomuchcoke
Posts: 309
Joined: 05 Jun 2011, 18:15
Gender: Male

Re: Best way to do door2doors ?

Post by toomuchcoke »

joe110 wrote:Just wondered what everyone thought the best way is to do door2doors. I always do 1/6th a day but lots put them all in and just take them where there going through out the week. Some even do them all on one day to get it out the way.
In general do 1/5th each day (so getting them out of the way before Saturday). If it's a rural then only take where I'm going to (unless it's a walking segment with multiple houses in which case I might take them all), and might well throw extra ones in on Monday for those calls that hardly every get mail (no point going once in a week with mail and then later with D2Ds). If it's a town round then take all of that days whether they've got mail or not, excluding any awkward ones (e.g. top floor flats) if I'm not going up there.

Three of the rurals I do only have 4 sections (i.e. main frame plus 1 wing) so I tend to do an entire section and one row of the wing so as to "front load" the week with more D2Ds when there's less mail and then at the end of the week when there's more mail most of the D2Ds will have gone.

Throw in Monday's D2Ds on Saturday before heading out on delivery. That and putting stickers on anything that gets P739'd as I go doesn't actually save any time, but it does mean that when you get back to the office you have a bare minimal amount of stuff to do before you leave.
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: Best way to do door2doors ?

Post by arnold cheshire »

depends if you have one lot or six lots its different every week
feduppostie
Posts: 947
Joined: 24 Jun 2007, 19:46

Re: Best way to do door2doors ?

Post by feduppostie »

Forget about saving time!!!!

Do 20% a day exactly as they say you should FFS
Barbel
Posts: 593
Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
Gender: Male

Re: Best way to do door2doors ?

Post by Barbel »

I do a rural and have 4 sections, I do one section on Monday & Tuesday, I miss out Weds & Thurs then do Fri & Sat. I put Mondays section in today when I got back in the office.
joe110
Posts: 5
Joined: 27 Aug 2012, 22:49
Gender: Male

Re: Best way to do door2doors ?

Post by joe110 »

Thanks for the replies. I think I will continue to it as do on the town rounds 1/6 a day but I forgot to mention I do half of Saturdays segment monday then other half Tuesday so come Saturday there done.

Some people also don't put them in the frame they put 20 on the back of the bundle then use them from there. Seems a right pain to me doing letters off the top d2d from underneath. Only thing it saves is slotting them in the frame and the pain of them getting in the way of you sorting the mail into the frame.
islipaway
Posts: 14
Joined: 16 Mar 2014, 12:41
Gender: Male

Re: Best way to do door2doors ?

Post by islipaway »

I've only been doing this for a year but really I don't think there's one answer here. Different door to doors suit different methods and it depends how many there are, also different offices seem to arrange them differently in the frames, some vertically some following the walk.

Sometimes I'll put in them in the frame, sometimes I'll put one at the start and one at the end and put the rest in my bag and take them out one at a time The ones at the start and the end tell me when to start/stop doing them. This only really works if I only have one d2d though.

Mostly I just have to do them however whoever prepped the frame decided to put them in, which often is with mail inside them and back to front so a total pain in the arse.