ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
about bundles...
-
troubadour2012en
- Posts: 33
- Joined: 14 Dec 2014, 13:40
- Gender: Male
about bundles...
Hi everyone! I know it's a little bit late; I've been all day really busy:(... Just please, don't laugh at me,that will gonna be a newbie question:) So, tomorrow will be my first walk on my own, after few days of training. My coach shown me once, on the last day, how he does the bundles. He did it very quick, for a half of frame, starting from the bottom, and from left to right. In that moment I though I understood what he was doing, but...later, when I tried to remember that, I realized that I should have payed more attention or I should have asked him to do it slower...
Could someone, please, explain if there are some kind of basic "rules" to do that bundles, or...I guess there are many ways to make them, but should be some "tips " that you need to take in consideration!...Thank you very much!...
Could someone, please, explain if there are some kind of basic "rules" to do that bundles, or...I guess there are many ways to make them, but should be some "tips " that you need to take in consideration!...Thank you very much!...
-
jessicarabbit
- Posts: 619
- Joined: 05 Nov 2009, 19:57
- Gender: Female
Re: about bundles...
Make them small if you have lots of different roads and closes do a separate bundle for each new road. First few times u do it on ur own band them up and put them back in frame. Then number each bundle 1 being first you will need. Always double band and if possible use a 3rd band lengthwise. That is all.
-
troubadour2012en
- Posts: 33
- Joined: 14 Dec 2014, 13:40
- Gender: Male
Re: about bundles...
Thanks a lot, Jessica, great advice! I'l keep it in mind, no doubt!
-
manboss
- Posts: 110
- Joined: 20 Feb 2013, 15:55
- Gender: Male
Re: about bundles...
If i'm on a new walk, I always ask the P&L partner if anything needs pulling out separately or if it follows to the frame, then I just tend to pull it out till I get to a bundle size that i'm happy to work with. As said, just make sure the bundles are put in the bag so there in order.
-
troubadour2012en
- Posts: 33
- Joined: 14 Dec 2014, 13:40
- Gender: Male
Re: about bundles...
thanks for reply, manboss. I won't have a P&L partner, I will walk with a LWT...
-
Celtic warrior
- Posts: 101
- Joined: 10 Dec 2013, 16:23
- Gender: Male
Re: about bundles...
If you are still unsure or nervous, then go and ask the workplace coach to go over it again. They should then make the time to assist as it is their job to revisit the trainee to ensure that they have fully understood and are comfortable with the training.
-
manboss
- Posts: 110
- Joined: 20 Feb 2013, 15:55
- Gender: Male
Re: about bundles...
Ah right, actually i'm on that duty in my office tomorrow but in our office that walk is always prepped and bundled up my someone else, being a part timer I just usually turn in at my start time and its ready to go. If it were me and I had to do the prep, etc, if in doubt just ask, once you've done the walk a couple of times it will become easy to bundle up.
-
wabbithunta
- Posts: 872
- Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 18:39
- Gender: Male
- Location: On Planet Earth... Unlike the people who run RM!
Re: about bundles...
He/she should've explained what they were doing, and how as well as why, because from the sound of what you say in your post they didn't do so.
Do what Jessica said and you'll soon get the hang of it. Likewise do this for any walk you do until you know it by heart.
You may also want to write "p" or "pkts" on any mail for a particular house, some posties even turn letters around to remind them that they've got packets for that particular house. If you've no mail for a house then use a 739 card, to remind yourself about it, or you'll find yourself having to walk back to deliver it, if you forget it.
Do what Jessica said and you'll soon get the hang of it. Likewise do this for any walk you do until you know it by heart.
You may also want to write "p" or "pkts" on any mail for a particular house, some posties even turn letters around to remind them that they've got packets for that particular house. If you've no mail for a house then use a 739 card, to remind yourself about it, or you'll find yourself having to walk back to deliver it, if you forget it.
"Better to die on your feet than live a life time on your knees"
-
Altrider
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 81
- Joined: 12 Feb 2013, 17:29
- Gender: Male
Re: about bundles...
As you get used to it keep the bundles tight (small)...I still (when time allows) turn and mark letters where there are packets. As you get used to the walk you will speed up when it comes to tying up
-
greengiant
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1268
- Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
- Gender: Male
Re: about bundles...
What I found helped was to add the first few letters of the next street to the end of a bundle, that way the letters point you in the right direction!
Don't make the bundles too big either.
Good luck, but I'm sure you'll be fine.
Don't make the bundles too big either.
Good luck, but I'm sure you'll be fine.
-
korky
- Posts: 797
- Joined: 30 Dec 2007, 09:28
Re: about bundles...
tie bundles up the size you feel comfortable with, if possible try to make the last letter a large flat, or even for when you have a packet at roughly when you'd band it up.
we write "P" and the number on the house before if no mail,
be careful if you have a no.155 as it may upset those at 153 or 157 when you write P155 on their mail
we write "P" and the number on the house before if no mail,
be careful if you have a no.155 as it may upset those at 153 or 157 when you write P155 on their mail
-
sophie97
- Posts: 169
- Joined: 17 Jul 2013, 15:10
- Gender: Female
Re: about bundles...
This is a good point, once used to a walk you will prob find yourself ending a bundle at the end of a road, but till then this will help you flow round bettergreengiant wrote:What I found helped was to add the first few letters of the next street to the end of a bundle, that way the letters point you in the right direction!
Don't make the bundles too big either.
Good luck, but I'm sure you'll be fine.
-
Surreypostie
- Posts: 999
- Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 21:05
- Gender: Male
Re: about bundles...
Left to right from the bottom upwards and what I used to do for newbies was number the bundles, start at number 1 and carry on, do the same for each delivery pouch.
-
dave72
- Posts: 415
- Joined: 30 Nov 2010, 14:54
- Gender: Male
Re: about bundles...
Baby bundles are easier to handle. Boils my piss when my looper makes massive bundles with little packets rammed in there too, plugs destroy bundles
Double rubber band them too, the bands are rubbish and will snap. Nothing worse than pulling a bundle out of your bag and seeing it all slide out of the middle because the rubberband snapped
Also, if you split a street up make sure you don't have a stray letter from te end of the last bundle starting the new bundle. For example, say you finish the bundle at number 20, make sure number 20 doesn't start your next bundle
Double rubber band them too, the bands are rubbish and will snap. Nothing worse than pulling a bundle out of your bag and seeing it all slide out of the middle because the rubberband snapped
Also, if you split a street up make sure you don't have a stray letter from te end of the last bundle starting the new bundle. For example, say you finish the bundle at number 20, make sure number 20 doesn't start your next bundle
-
lala
- Posts: 189
- Joined: 19 Oct 2012, 19:57
- Gender: Male
Re: about bundles...
Just don't do it if its number 45 ;)korky wrote:tie bundles up the size you feel comfortable with, if possible try to make the last letter a large flat, or even for when you have a packet at roughly when you'd band it up.
we write "P" and the number on the house before if no mail,
be careful if you have a no.155 as it may upset those at 153 or 157 when you write P155 on their mail