ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

about bundles...

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
troubadour2012en
Posts: 33
Joined: 14 Dec 2014, 13:40
Gender: Male

about bundles...

Post by troubadour2012en »

Hi everyone! I know it's a little bit late; I've been all day really busy:(... Just please, don't laugh at me,that will gonna be a newbie question:) So, tomorrow will be my first walk on my own, after few days of training. My coach shown me once, on the last day, how he does the bundles. He did it very quick, for a half of frame, starting from the bottom, and from left to right. In that moment I though I understood what he was doing, but...later, when I tried to remember that, I realized that I should have payed more attention or I should have asked him to do it slower...

Could someone, please, explain if there are some kind of basic "rules" to do that bundles, or...I guess there are many ways to make them, but should be some "tips " that you need to take in consideration!...Thank you very much!...
jessicarabbit
Posts: 619
Joined: 05 Nov 2009, 19:57
Gender: Female

Re: about bundles...

Post by jessicarabbit »

Make them small if you have lots of different roads and closes do a separate bundle for each new road. First few times u do it on ur own band them up and put them back in frame. Then number each bundle 1 being first you will need. Always double band and if possible use a 3rd band lengthwise. That is all.
troubadour2012en
Posts: 33
Joined: 14 Dec 2014, 13:40
Gender: Male

Re: about bundles...

Post by troubadour2012en »

Thanks a lot, Jessica, great advice! I'l keep it in mind, no doubt!
manboss
Posts: 110
Joined: 20 Feb 2013, 15:55
Gender: Male

Re: about bundles...

Post by manboss »

If i'm on a new walk, I always ask the P&L partner if anything needs pulling out separately or if it follows to the frame, then I just tend to pull it out till I get to a bundle size that i'm happy to work with. As said, just make sure the bundles are put in the bag so there in order.
troubadour2012en
Posts: 33
Joined: 14 Dec 2014, 13:40
Gender: Male

Re: about bundles...

Post by troubadour2012en »

thanks for reply, manboss. I won't have a P&L partner, I will walk with a LWT...
Celtic warrior
Posts: 101
Joined: 10 Dec 2013, 16:23
Gender: Male

Re: about bundles...

Post by Celtic warrior »

If you are still unsure or nervous, then go and ask the workplace coach to go over it again. They should then make the time to assist as it is their job to revisit the trainee to ensure that they have fully understood and are comfortable with the training.
manboss
Posts: 110
Joined: 20 Feb 2013, 15:55
Gender: Male

Re: about bundles...

Post by manboss »

Ah right, actually i'm on that duty in my office tomorrow but in our office that walk is always prepped and bundled up my someone else, being a part timer I just usually turn in at my start time and its ready to go. If it were me and I had to do the prep, etc, if in doubt just ask, once you've done the walk a couple of times it will become easy to bundle up.
wabbithunta
Posts: 872
Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 18:39
Gender: Male
Location: On Planet Earth... Unlike the people who run RM!

Re: about bundles...

Post by wabbithunta »

He/she should've explained what they were doing, and how as well as why, because from the sound of what you say in your post they didn't do so.
Do what Jessica said and you'll soon get the hang of it. Likewise do this for any walk you do until you know it by heart.
You may also want to write "p" or "pkts" on any mail for a particular house, some posties even turn letters around to remind them that they've got packets for that particular house. If you've no mail for a house then use a 739 card, to remind yourself about it, or you'll find yourself having to walk back to deliver it, if you forget it.
"Better to die on your feet than live a life time on your knees"
Altrider
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 81
Joined: 12 Feb 2013, 17:29
Gender: Male

Re: about bundles...

Post by Altrider »

As you get used to it keep the bundles tight (small)...I still (when time allows) turn and mark letters where there are packets. As you get used to the walk you will speed up when it comes to tying up
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Re: about bundles...

Post by greengiant »

What I found helped was to add the first few letters of the next street to the end of a bundle, that way the letters point you in the right direction!
Don't make the bundles too big either.

Good luck, but I'm sure you'll be fine.
korky
Posts: 797
Joined: 30 Dec 2007, 09:28

Re: about bundles...

Post by korky »

tie bundles up the size you feel comfortable with, if possible try to make the last letter a large flat, or even for when you have a packet at roughly when you'd band it up.
we write "P" and the number on the house before if no mail,
be careful if you have a no.155 as it may upset those at 153 or 157 when you write P155 on their mail :left:
sophie97
Posts: 169
Joined: 17 Jul 2013, 15:10
Gender: Female

Re: about bundles...

Post by sophie97 »

greengiant wrote:What I found helped was to add the first few letters of the next street to the end of a bundle, that way the letters point you in the right direction!
Don't make the bundles too big either.

Good luck, but I'm sure you'll be fine.
This is a good point, once used to a walk you will prob find yourself ending a bundle at the end of a road, but till then this will help you flow round better
Surreypostie
Posts: 999
Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 21:05
Gender: Male

Re: about bundles...

Post by Surreypostie »

Left to right from the bottom upwards and what I used to do for newbies was number the bundles, start at number 1 and carry on, do the same for each delivery pouch.
dave72
Posts: 415
Joined: 30 Nov 2010, 14:54
Gender: Male

Re: about bundles...

Post by dave72 »

Baby bundles are easier to handle. Boils my piss when my looper makes massive bundles with little packets rammed in there too, plugs destroy bundles :arrrghhh

Double rubber band them too, the bands are rubbish and will snap. Nothing worse than pulling a bundle out of your bag and seeing it all slide out of the middle because the rubberband snapped :arrrghhh

Also, if you split a street up make sure you don't have a stray letter from te end of the last bundle starting the new bundle. For example, say you finish the bundle at number 20, make sure number 20 doesn't start your next bundle :arrrghhh
lala
Posts: 189
Joined: 19 Oct 2012, 19:57
Gender: Male

Re: about bundles...

Post by lala »

korky wrote:tie bundles up the size you feel comfortable with, if possible try to make the last letter a large flat, or even for when you have a packet at roughly when you'd band it up.
we write "P" and the number on the house before if no mail,
be careful if you have a no.155 as it may upset those at 153 or 157 when you write P155 on their mail :left:
Just don't do it if its number 45 ;)