ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

3 month contract - any chance of extension/full time?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Lixma
Posts: 2
Joined: 20 Dec 2014, 10:00
Gender: Male

3 month contract - any chance of extension/full time?

Post by Lixma »

Hi all,

I have an interview in the new year for a 3 month fixed term contract doing 25 hours p/week.

What are the odds of being taken on full time (assuming I'm not terrible at the job) after the 3 months?

Obviously, all this hangs on me actually getting the job but I thought I may as well gauge some opinions.
slinder123
Posts: 261
Joined: 25 Oct 2014, 14:44
Gender: Female

Re: 3 month contract - any chance of extension/full time?

Post by slinder123 »

i dont think you will get a full time position after the three months but you could get a long term part time contract .this seems to be the way to go with royal mail at the minute shareholders to please. but you will find that you can earn just as much as full time with overtime :Very Happy
jimmynailsalive
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 304
Joined: 28 Dec 2013, 13:36
Gender: Male

Re: 3 month contract - any chance of extension/full time?

Post by jimmynailsalive »

Think it will be just your luck if there is high turnover of staff in your office. 3 months should take you to the spike up in election mail and another 3 month contract should see your office struggling with summer holidays so fingers crossed for you. Are you hoping to get a permanent 25 hour shift as more chance of this and little chance of getting a 39 hour week job?
Lixma
Posts: 2
Joined: 20 Dec 2014, 10:00
Gender: Male

Re: 3 month contract - any chance of extension/full time?

Post by Lixma »

I'm in no position to be fussy but I'd much rather have full time than 25hrs p/week (25hrs pays for bills + food and very little left over).

Hopefully there will be the opportunity for some overtime.
koolishy67
Posts: 665
Joined: 04 Nov 2010, 21:02
Gender: Male

Re: 3 month contract - any chance of extension/full time?

Post by koolishy67 »

You are lucky to get the 3 months contact at this time , we heard that all temp contract is going to over after x mas. And forget the word full time and even permanent contract .
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: 3 month contract - any chance of extension/full time?

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Everything in this Business can change very Quickly. One day they're not recruiting at all... Then they're only recruiting PT...Then suddenly all the PTers are given FT contracts. :crazy:

No two DOs are the same. Recruiting seems to depend more on the Financial Health of the Business than anything else. When money was tight they were Penny-Pinching EVERYWHERE and you couldn't even claim any OT never mind increase your contract. Suddenly things improve, Budgets are relaxed and sometimes they even recruit some new Posties! :shock:

Good luck with you endevours Lixma, I would try and make your money up from another PT job, and not rely on RM to help you out. In time they may increase your hours, but beware of Kissing Too Much Ass in your efforts to get more Overtime from them. Although I appreciate your situation, Management LOVE work hungry PTers who are trying to make their hours up. They really do take the piss and will often expect you to travel to other Offices and not claim Traveling Expenses, or tell you that you can't claim meal relief! :no no
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
GoingRoundTheBend
Posts: 108
Joined: 25 Jun 2014, 20:09
Gender: Male

Re: 3 month contract - any chance of extension/full time?

Post by GoingRoundTheBend »

Agree with the too much ass kissing to get extra overtime. Im just shy of being here for 2 years and my 1st year I chased and done all the overtime I could, until I realised that all the promise of permanent contract with more hours was complete bullshit.
I now do overtime when I want and don't fall for the 'Can you just help me out' crap. Will it affect my chance of being made permanent?? who knows and if im honest im past caring......
Sorry for being all doom and gloom but this is what the job has made me into :neutral:
Barbel
Posts: 593
Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
Gender: Male

Re: 3 month contract - any chance of extension/full time?

Post by Barbel »

I was on a 30hr contract when I first started RM almost 2 years ago. Back in May of this year I was made permanent but my hours were reduced to 24. I have been on a round since July which is full time and have been claiming every day so taking home full time money but they've still not yet made me full time. Apparently it's rare they take anyone on full time these days so I think you'll be very lucky if they do after just 3 months but good luck.