ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Do you think working for RM kills the joy of Christmas

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Do you think working for RM kills the joy of Christmas

Post by krussel »

I am thinking of mostly delivery staff here.

You see I was walking around today listening to excited children walk home from school having just broken up for the holidays and I thought to myself thank god this will soon be over. I don’t mean the actual festivities and being with family etc but walking in to a stacked sorting office and trying to cope with 4 packet bags. Having to reload the trolley every 90 mins and feeling like I am knocking on every other door. I just want the job back to a steady medium ASAP.

The reason I ask this is that I personally cannot remember working anywhere else over Christmas. I have distant memories of my previous job going in Christmas eve and doing no work, waiting for the bosses to come around and hand you a envelope with a cash bonus and then you were off home or to the pub by lunch time.

However I was very young back then so everything seemed brighter. I really enjoyed my first few Christmases with RM but the rounds were half what they are now.

Maybe it was the fact i had more time off to relax as i know that come late Boxing day afternoon I will be refusing that extra drink as I will be up at 4.30am and working on the Saturday.

So has anyone done say 5 years service and feels that Christmas has changed since they started working for Royal Mail or is it just me getting old and grumpy. :d'oh!

:Very Happy
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
interesting
Posts: 217
Joined: 29 Jun 2012, 19:16
Gender: Male

Re: Do you think working for RM kills the joy of Christmas

Post by interesting »

Have to say I agree
I really want to enjoy it
But it's over before I get time to sit down
So many people you know have a good few days off at Xmas
I know you can book the week off after Xmas
I'm very easy going
But can't say I'm enjoying at the moment
God only knows what 2015 holds for us
Surreypostie
Posts: 999
Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 21:05
Gender: Male

Re: Do you think working for RM kills the joy of Christmas

Post by Surreypostie »

Oh yes, I hate the run up to xmas now. Christmas eve used to be so easy, nothing left to do. Home by about 9, I can honestly see us cutting off xmas eve. We never used to have D2D's this time of year but yes next week we have them and 2 less days to deliver. Monday and Tuesday are short days, everyone is knackered, everyone saying today after this week there will be no more extending next week as we don't want to be too knackered to enjoy the two day break. I do feel sorry for people who may not get their items delivered but they had 11 months to get on that computer and order it all, if you leave it this late you do run a risk of not getting it and serves you right. I read Moya's bit in te courier about expecting large amounts packets to be dispatched every monday, hopefully not this monday if they have any sense.
justdeno
Posts: 362
Joined: 27 Jan 2012, 16:05
Gender: Female

Re: Do you think working for RM kills the joy of Christmas

Post by justdeno »

Same here. I loved Christmas but loathe it now. Get no recognition from managers. Just a slog to xmas then New Year sales, never ending. Still not put decorations up, but have to. Used to organise a meal for the posties but I gave up no one has the energy after work now. :sad:
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Do you think working for RM kills the joy of Christmas

Post by krussel »

interesting wrote:I really want to enjoy it
But it's over before I get time to sit down
Yeah that sums up how I am feeling about it right now. :Applause
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Do you think working for RM kills the joy of Christmas

Post by krussel »

justdeno wrote:Used to organise a meal for the posties but I gave up no one has the energy after work now.
Same in my office as we used to have a meal in the canteen every year when we all finished the day before xmas eve, it was such a laugh. People are still fairly lively in the morning prep but when they come back from delivery they look exhausted and almost too tired to talk.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
dave72
Posts: 415
Joined: 30 Nov 2010, 14:54
Gender: Male

Re: Do you think working for RM kills the joy of Christmas

Post by dave72 »

We should have our own Christmas in July :dance
ebbzie
Posts: 660
Joined: 14 Jun 2011, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Do you think working for RM kills the joy of Christmas

Post by ebbzie »

dave72 wrote:We should have our own Christmas in July :dance
Yeah after triple lapsing we have bags of energy :cry
ratty3k15
Posts: 17
Joined: 30 Mar 2009, 22:56
Gender: Male

Re: Do you think working for RM kills the joy of Christmas

Post by ratty3k15 »

I completely agree, Im only 28 but tbh ill just be glad when you can walk into the office and their isn't packets everywhere and stacks of mail and boxes! Kills the joy of xmas, it just seems to create hard work for us and little reward! My xmas days off will probably be spent recovering and sleeping :cry
Darren Bent
Posts: 2150
Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
Gender: Male
Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL

Re: Do you think working for RM kills the joy of Christmas

Post by Darren Bent »

It does kill the joy for me. I am also too knackered to go out dancing more than one night a week :( 3 years ago I use to go 3 parties a week. For me Christmas start after work on Christmas Eve.
5plusbonusball
Posts: 1136
Joined: 12 Jan 2012, 20:50
Gender: Male
Location: up north of watford

Re: Do you think working for RM kills the joy of Christmas

Post by 5plusbonusball »

Here's a funny one , boss asked will I come in tomorrow (christmas saturday) because he's short on staff - :Very Happy :Very Happy :Very Happy as if, you wait 4 weeks for a saturday and after a busy christmas week you go in , and he's on his day off! You must be aving a larf mate :Very Happy :Very Happy :Very Happy
Why are lino's paid full-time ??
ziggy
Posts: 114
Joined: 10 Jul 2007, 14:26
Gender: Male
Location: Back o Beyond

Re: Do you think working for RM kills the joy of Christmas

Post by ziggy »

It has spoiled it for me. I'm sick of having pressure put on us to work late delivering parcels so that other people's Christmas isn't "ruined" but there is never any acknowledgement that it's Christmas for us too. We have shopping to do, meals to plan and a life to be getting on with :arrrghhh

Most people I know finish the day before Christmas Eve and are off for at least a week and a half, we get two grudged days. Even some of the public seem annoyed that we get Boxing Day off :confused
Not sure about other places but in our DO there is not an ounce of Christmas spirit, most people just want it over with.

Also the last thing I want to do when I get home is write out bloody Christmas cards lol. I'm not all bah humbug about it though :Very Happy I do thoroughly enjoy all the family getting together for the big day, we do have a great time with plenty grub, plenty booze and plenty giggles. At that point work is a distant memory :nana
Ziggy
bensonhedge
Posts: 448
Joined: 15 Mar 2010, 20:14
Gender: Male

Re: Do you think working for RM kills the joy of Christmas

Post by bensonhedge »

Have you heard you all?? Doom and gloom merchants,not the only ones in life having to do a hard days yacker
Sir Henry
Posts: 1316
Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 00:33
Gender: Male

Re: Do you think working for RM kills the joy of Christmas

Post by Sir Henry »

And I bet they're pissing and moaning about it too.
"A third of the world's farmland is now useless due to soil degradation, yet we still keep producing mouths to feed. And what's you answer to that? Energy saving lightbulbs?"
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Re: Do you think working for RM kills the joy of Christmas

Post by k979aaa »

I wake up at 3am with strange ghosts Christmas passed one's of joy and fun and merriment and mirth, Christmas present hard work no joy no merriment not a sniff of mirth nor any goodwill, Christmas future 20,000 job cut's triple prep with triple lapsing and collection on delivery with a broom up your ass as the council have contracted Royalmail as the street cleaners!