ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Merry xmas .You are fired.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
2pints
Posts: 286
Joined: 28 Feb 2013, 16:46
Gender: Male

Merry xmas .You are fired.

Post by 2pints »

Got called in to managers office today and was told my fixed term contract will be terminated on january 5th.I have been with royal mail 2 years and had 1 sickness.She said she will doher best to get me a job at at a different office but im not holding my breath.She gave me the whole spiel of mail volumes down,been told to save money by loosing the fixed term contracts blah blah.Worked my ass off for royal mail and this is what i get.
kirstyx
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 147
Joined: 24 Jul 2012, 16:45
Gender: Female

Re: Merry xmas .You are fired.

Post by kirstyx »

2pints wrote:Got called in to managers office today and was told my fixed term contract will be terminated on january 5th.I have been with royal mail 2 years and had 1 sickness.She said she will doher best to get me a job at at a different office but im not holding my breath.She gave me the whole spiel of mail volumes down,been told to save money by loosing the fixed term contracts blah blah.Worked my ass off for royal mail and this is what i get.

Im so sorry. Hope you manage to find something soon. Good luck
Mr_Pink
Posts: 163
Joined: 14 Jun 2013, 22:09
Gender: Male

Re: Merry xmas .You are fired.

Post by Mr_Pink »

Didn't think they could do that if you've had 2 or more years service, regardless of what type of contract your on. I'd have a word with your rep, you should at the least be entitled to some redundancy money after 2 years.
2pints
Posts: 286
Joined: 28 Feb 2013, 16:46
Gender: Male

Re: Merry xmas .You are fired.

Post by 2pints »

Mr_Pink wrote:Didn't think they could do that if you've had 2 or more years service, regardless of what type of contract your on. I'd have a word with your rep, you should at the least be entitled to some redundancy money after 2 years.
Here is the sneaky part,my contract is up for nenewal soon at which point it would be 2 years "served" so they are getting rid just before that happens.I have a 30 hour contract too which is unusual in our office.

I have a meeting on thursday with manager and i have asked union rep to attend.I am hoping they find me work in another office,an office closer to my home would be a bonus.It just stinks though,they just dont want to make me permanent so they wait until the last minute before my contract ends to shaft me. :mad
Lincox
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3485
Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
Gender: Male

Re: Merry xmas .You are fired.

Post by Lincox »

I would be feeling very stressed out and unable to complete the rest of what is left of this year. Have a chat to your gp and spend a leisurely Christmas at Royal Mails expense.
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Merry xmas .You are fired.

Post by krussel »

Lincox wrote:I would be feeling very stressed out and unable to complete the rest of what is left of this year. Have a chat to your gp and spend a leisurely Christmas at Royal Mails expense.

Trouble is what if that ruins any chance of another office.

Saddens me to read posts like this just before Christmas and all. Real sorry to hear this 2pints.

How things have changed from the "job for Life" RM we once knew.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
General Mannerheim
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2299
Joined: 14 Dec 2007, 13:10
Gender: Male
Location: Stalag 17

Re: Merry xmas .You are fired.

Post by General Mannerheim »

If only.Set of Twats.
Royal Mail managers.....about as popular as a t.urd in a swimming pool!
The DDA/Equality Act demands action,NOT words......adjustments NOT Occupational Health referrals.Case No:2505901/09
Royal Mail is an Equal Opportunities Employer..It discriminates against everybody.
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32793
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: Merry xmas .You are fired.

Post by POSTMAN »

Rep should be on this big time,also he should contact his area rep for advise.
Good luck mate,hope it works out for you.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
cliffeyhez
Posts: 98
Joined: 03 Oct 2011, 04:07
Gender: Male

Re: Merry xmas .You are fired.

Post by cliffeyhez »

That's terrible mate. Feel so sorry for you. Really callous behaviour from RM. Really hope that things work out for you.
2pints
Posts: 286
Joined: 28 Feb 2013, 16:46
Gender: Male

Re: Merry xmas .You are fired.

Post by 2pints »

Lincox wrote:I would be feeling very stressed out and unable to complete the rest of what is left of this year. Have a chat to your gp and spend a leisurely Christmas at Royal Mails expense.
I was struggling yesterday,making silly mistakes my head was all over the place.Seen my rep on way home and he said he will make sure they find me work in another office.I was just getting to know people properly and felt like i was finally fitting in and knew alot of different walks and then they do this.I have a week booked off january 5th,the same date she said my contract may be terminated.I wonder if they pushed it forward before i had the week off and they have to pay holiday pay.
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

Re: Merry xmas .You are fired.

Post by wacko74 »

Is your office obviously overstaffed with a constant spare body being sent to other offices?

If it's not overstaffed I'd be fighting this all the way.... what are the chances that some time after letting you go they take on another newbie on anther temp contract.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Merry xmas .You are fired.

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

2pints wrote:
Lincox wrote:I would be feeling very stressed out and unable to complete the rest of what is left of this year. Have a chat to your gp and spend a leisurely Christmas at Royal Mails expense.
I was struggling yesterday,making silly mistakes my head was all over the place.Seen my rep on way home and he said he will make sure they find me work in another office.I was just getting to know people properly and felt like i was finally fitting in and knew alot of different walks and then they do this.I have a week booked off january 5th,the same date she said my contract may be terminated.I wonder if they pushed it forward before i had the week off and they have to pay holiday pay.
they'll have to pay you for the holidays you have accrued which would be about 3/4 of a years entitlement. Less of course any that you have already taken.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Re: Merry xmas .You are fired.

Post by DB1100 »

Thats a rotten trick,I feel that annoyed for you 2pints I'm going to leave an extra loop tomorrow feck em.
For we were soldiers once,and young
Cedar_Room
Posts: 826
Joined: 31 Aug 2007, 14:09

Re: Merry xmas .You are fired.

Post by Cedar_Room »

Sorry to hear this 2pints,I actually feel sick for you.

Something similar happened to me a good few years ago,I was between jobs & working in a call centre & they called a couple of us into the office on Xmas eve & told us we were being let go...silly me though they were inviting us for a chat & maybe offering us a permanent contract. :crazy:

Needless to say I switched my phone off,ditched the headset & left immediately - worst bit was I had to go & collect my missus from the pub as she'd been out with work & tell her the 'good news'.

Like I say,this was over a decade ago but I remember how pissed off I was all over Christmas so,of course, i hope things work out for you.
“Shorts,in this weather?!”

“If they’re bills I don’t want ‘em!”

“What’s she been ordering now?”
Lincox
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3485
Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
Gender: Male

Re: Merry xmas .You are fired.

Post by Lincox »

1000s of FTCs will not have their contracts renewed commencing January. Royal Mail will have extracted every ounce of breathe out of your weary bodies over this Christmas, but come January all hell will be let loose. That is the easy part for Royal Mail to use to reduce their costs but they will be aiming much higher than that. I reckon come September National Strikes will be called for, this latest agreement will be binned and Royal Mail will be starting the climb to the bottom with wages and the CWU will not have any strength left to be able to combat it in any way.