ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

What constitutes discrimination ?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Spy
Posts: 107
Joined: 12 Nov 2013, 17:57
Gender: Male

What constitutes discrimination ?

Post by Spy »

I'm open to all suggestions here.

Is it discrimination when your manager gives you in excess of 2 hours work extra on a daily basis, thereby causing you to fail, while allowing other members of staff to go home early. Several hours in some cases. This has been going on since January.
I will add that the failure amounts to indoor work only. Surcharges, customs charges, deads, etc.
A lino told me that they were allowed to fail certain things. I know that's b*llocks.
Please do not mention the grievance procedure as my manager tells me to " TAKE OUT A GRIEVANCE " every time I raise this issue. This procedure is created by managers for managers.
So basically, where do I stand on discrimination ?
loverman shabba
Posts: 238
Joined: 11 Jul 2013, 15:15
Gender: Male

Re: What constitutes discrimination ?

Post by loverman shabba »

grievances = promotion
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16692
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: What constitutes discrimination ?

Post by clashcityrocker »

Is it discrimination? No.
Unless all the homosexuals/Catholics/old people/single people etc are kept back to do more work while others are allowed to go home early.

Is it unfair? Yes.
That is what the grievance procedure is for. If nothing else you might be able to highlight the ineptness of your DOMs management.

What does your union rep say?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Re: What constitutes discrimination ?

Post by rehabron »

Spy wrote:I'm open to all suggestions here.

Is it discrimination when your manager gives you in excess of 2 hours work extra on a daily basis, thereby causing you to fail, while allowing other members of staff to go home early. Several hours in some cases. This has been going on since January.
I will add that the failure amounts to indoor work only. Surcharges, customs charges, deads, etc.
A lino told me that they were allowed to fail certain things. I know that's b*llocks.
Please do not mention the grievance procedure as my manager tells me to " TAKE OUT A GRIEVANCE " every time I raise this issue. This procedure is created by managers for managers.
So basically, where do I stand on discrimination ?
your situation does not fall into the category of indirect/direct discrimination but it does in relation to victimisation if you are able to provide proof that you are being singled out for unfair treatment by your manager.
If it was to develop further then there maybe the possibility of a claim for unfair constructive dismissal with an ET on the basis that manager continually gives you an increased workload in order that you fail.
But at this stage would suggest a 2nd stage grievance for an investigation by a manager at a different authority level which is copied in to Employee Relations Team at Sheffield.
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Re: What constitutes discrimination ?

Post by Postie45 »

Spy wrote:I'm open to all suggestions here.

Is it discrimination when your manager gives you in excess of 2 hours work extra on a daily basis, thereby causing you to fail, while allowing other members of staff to go home early. Several hours in some cases. This has been going on since January.
I will add that the failure amounts to indoor work only. Surcharges, customs charges, deads, etc.
A lino told me that they were allowed to fail certain things. I know that's b*llocks.
Please do not mention the grievance procedure as my manager tells me to " TAKE OUT A GRIEVANCE " every time I raise this issue. This procedure is created by managers for managers.
So basically, where do I stand on discrimination ?
are you bringing around 2 hours work back per day ?
liamlayor
Posts: 82
Joined: 17 Mar 2010, 10:42
Gender: Male

Re: What constitutes discrimination ?

Post by liamlayor »

You can only claim victimisation or discrimination if you have carried out a PROTECTED ACT or if you have a PROTECTED CHARACTERISTIC, rather than list these here, you can look them up online easily enough for a comprehensive list of what constitutes both of these.

If neither apply, you can only claim HARASSMENT (definition can also be found online) and, ultimately, CONSTRUCTIVE DISMISSAL if you leave.

Gather as much evidence as you can, always speak to managers with a witness present (not another manager) and start to submit grievances, where appropriate, but be prepared to have a big red target painted on your back!

Ask for minutes of all meetings, and take your own minutes of meetings which your witness can sign to say that they are an accurate record of the proceedings, managers are notorious for making up things that they say they said, or say they didn't say.

If managers actually bully or harass you, make sure you have a witness. If no-one is there, ask the manager to wait to speak to you while you find a colleague to act as a witness and, rather than submitting a grievance, write to the Bullying, harassment and victimisation department at Pond Street, Sheffield. Don't be surprised if they reject your claim of harassment though, it seems to be the standard response to most complaints to them but you need to have a paper trail for any subsequent investigations. Make sure that you write that the manager(s)' behaviour is causing you stress and anxiety and it would also be a sensible move to see your GP about it too.

If the manager(s)' behaviour is perceived BY YOU to be harassment then it doesn't matter how it is perceived by the BHV department and, when you receive the rejection from them, as I am sure you will, write back to them and tell them this. They'll probably still reject it but this is a long, hard slog over the next 6 months at least, and you need to keep at it.

Good luck!
jack
Posts: 299
Joined: 28 Aug 2007, 14:32

Re: What constitutes discrimination ?

Post by jack »

liamlayor wrote:You can only claim victimisation or discrimination if you have carried out a PROTECTED ACT or if you have a PROTECTED CHARACTERISTIC, rather than list these here, you can look them up online easily enough for a comprehensive list of what constitutes both of these.

If neither apply, you can only claim HARASSMENT (definition can also be found online) and, ultimately, CONSTRUCTIVE DISMISSAL if you leave.

Gather as much evidence as you can, always speak to managers with a witness present (not another manager) and start to submit grievances, where appropriate, but be prepared to have a big red target painted on your back!

Ask for minutes of all meetings, and take your own minutes of meetings which your witness can sign to say that they are an accurate record of the proceedings, managers are notorious for making up things that they say they said, or say they didn't say.

If managers actually bully or harass you, make sure you have a witness. If no-one is there, ask the manager to wait to speak to you while you find a colleague to act as a witness and, rather than submitting a grievance, write to the Bullying, harassment and victimisation department at Pond Street, Sheffield. Don't be surprised if they reject your claim of harassment though, it seems to be the standard response to most complaints to them but you need to have a paper trail for any subsequent investigations. Make sure that you write that the manager(s)' behaviour is causing you stress and anxiety and it would also be a sensible move to see your GP about it too.

If the manager(s)' behaviour is perceived BY YOU to be harassment then it doesn't matter how it is perceived by the BHV department and, when you receive the rejection from them, as I am sure you will, write back to them and tell them this. They'll probably still reject it but this is a long, hard slog over the next 6 months at least, and you need to keep at it.

Good luck!
But why does it have to come to this?

Most people just want to go to work, work their hours and go home. The way that royal mail go about their business nowadays, in the treatment of some front line staff is not only counterproductive but a disgrace :no no ...but it still happens.

All of the above is bang on I think, but why the fook do folk have to go through such a rigmarole to get justice, it shouldn't keep happening to get to these stages.

I personally think that moya turns a blind eye to all this underhandedness that happens in delivery offices, i don't think she cares about the way her managers treat front line staff...she makes out she cares but it's all bollox as far as i'm concerned.
'Royal Mail leaders could not lead a worm, they'll never take our pride cos that's what we earn'
Spy
Posts: 107
Joined: 12 Nov 2013, 17:57
Gender: Male

Re: What constitutes discrimination ?

Post by Spy »

Thanks for all the replies.

I do not want to leave and i'm certainly no victim of B & H, only because my managers do not bother me.
The discrimination I refer to is effectively job and finish. The agenda for growth clearly states fully utilise all paid hours. This is obviously not happening in a lot of offices around the country. This really does not bother me, but the fact that I have been given extra work when other duties are far better equipped to deal with this has finally got to me. I really cannot understand how my DOM or LINO pays overtime to do the work that I cannot do when there are at least 50% of duties finishing 2+ hours before me daily. And on Saturday 1 duty has finished 5 HOURS BEFORE ME (09.15am, start time 06.00am). All with the DOMs knowledge. When I questioned this I was told that the person on the duty " HAD DONE A LOT OF WORK FOR ME THAT DAY ".
I will add that a year ago I took out a grievance against the changes made to my duty by my DOM. There has also been no PIR or a re-sign since our revision.
I will be raising this issue with my DSM, delivery director and the CEO.
Spy
Posts: 107
Joined: 12 Nov 2013, 17:57
Gender: Male

Re: What constitutes discrimination ?

Post by Spy »

Bound by the official secrets act. The silly thing is that there are about a 20 staff affected by DOM decisions and they are concerned about retribution. Believe this or not, but I've just had a phone call from a work mate who said the DOM phoned him up to tell him he'd cleared the work my mate could not do. This was at 14.30pm ish. My mates finishing time is 13.33pm.

Let's not mention the local (still riding the PO bike when he's on delivery ) rep.

I also forgot to mention that I too used to be runner on delivery. When I started indoors I worked my tits off for all managers including the present one. Opened the office, never took a meal relief and often finished after my time. FOR NOTHING. More fool me. That will never happen again