ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Leaving/Rejoining Royal Mail

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
dubcorsair
Posts: 4
Joined: 12 Nov 2014, 11:51
Gender: Male

Leaving/Rejoining Royal Mail

Post by dubcorsair »

Hi guys.

I am considering handing in my notice to try out a different career I have been training for. I am, however, worried that the change may not be for me. How easy is it to get back in with the Royal Mail if you hand in your notice? Bukowski made it seem like you can't escape!

Does anyone have a zero hours contract? I am currently on 25 hrs which is how I have been able to prepare for a new career. Do offices consider zero hours? That way I could have time for other work, but not jeapordise my position with the company.

I should just bite the bullet but any feedback would be much appreciated.

Cheers!
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Leaving/Rejoining Royal Mail

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

You could try Angard - they do the Royal Mail Casuals for MCs throughout the year.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Celtic warrior
Posts: 101
Joined: 10 Dec 2013, 16:23
Gender: Male

Re: Leaving/Rejoining Royal Mail

Post by Celtic warrior »

Why not apply for a career break for a set period to allow yourself a chance to see what you want to do in the long run.
dubcorsair
Posts: 4
Joined: 12 Nov 2014, 11:51
Gender: Male

Re: Leaving/Rejoining Royal Mail

Post by dubcorsair »

The new role is supposed to start in January - is this too short notice to apply for a career break?
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Leaving/Rejoining Royal Mail

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... php?id=482" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
dubcorsair
Posts: 4
Joined: 12 Nov 2014, 11:51
Gender: Male

Re: Leaving/Rejoining Royal Mail

Post by dubcorsair »

I never even knew about this! I have only been with Royal Mail 15 months, but it may be worth a shot (not that I ever see our Dom much, and I'm sure my line manager will be against it!)

Thankyou tho.
dubcorsair
Posts: 4
Joined: 12 Nov 2014, 11:51
Gender: Male

Re: Leaving/Rejoining Royal Mail

Post by dubcorsair »

Hmmm, during the period away from Royal Mail, I would be working. I guess I should just speak to my DOM, but I'm not too keen to let the cat out of the bag.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16692
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: Leaving/Rejoining Royal Mail

Post by clashcityrocker »

dubcorsair wrote:... but I'm not too keen to let the cat out of the bag.
Would that be Schrodinger's cat?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
Rory
Posts: 90
Joined: 09 Aug 2012, 12:42
Gender: Male

Re: Leaving/Rejoining Royal Mail

Post by Rory »

What is your new job?
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

Re: Leaving/Rejoining Royal Mail

Post by wacko74 »

Celtic warrior wrote:Why not apply for a career break for a set period to allow yourself a chance to see what you want to do in the long run.
Not allowed to work anywhere else while on a career break
spiderj
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 969
Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
Gender: Male
Location: ctp

Re: Leaving/Rejoining Royal Mail

Post by spiderj »

clashcityrocker wrote:
dubcorsair wrote:... but I'm not too keen to let the cat out of the bag.
Would that be Schrodinger's cat?
Mebbes aye mebbes naw
I won
gary1975
Posts: 482
Joined: 16 Apr 2011, 13:41
Gender: Male

Re: Leaving/Rejoining Royal Mail

Post by gary1975 »

Some guys in our office ha went down to one day a week (sat) and you still keep your seniority so in future you can still apply for a duty should one come up.