ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

what to expect tomorrow (First Xmas at RM)

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
lmc
Posts: 15
Joined: 28 Jan 2013, 13:14
Gender: Male

what to expect tomorrow (First Xmas at RM)

Post by lmc »

I started with RM a few months ago now and just do a Saturday on a HCT duty.

We have been asked to come in early tomorrow and as it will be my first time experiencing the increased volumes I was just wondering how bad it is going to be?

Are letters higher than usual or is it just a major increase in packets I will be in for?

Also probably a really daft question but what happens in other offices if you physically can't fit any more in the HCT?

Thanks for any info :)
Queeg500
Posts: 37
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 11:24
Gender: Male

Re: what to expect tomorrow (First Xmas at RM)

Post by Queeg500 »

If you cant get your stuff in the HCT then there is a drop box or drop location (e.g a newsagents) on or near your route, anything you want dropped you will need to bag it up and a driver will drop it off. Remember to take keys for the drop box if you need them.

It's busy at the moment but I'm not on HCTs and I'm not doing Saturdays. It shouldn't be too bad, Wednesdays are a killer tho :confused
lmc
Posts: 15
Joined: 28 Jan 2013, 13:14
Gender: Male

Re: what to expect tomorrow (First Xmas at RM)

Post by lmc »

Thanks,Although I have never used it I have noticed a dropbox on the route so that would make sense.
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: what to expect tomorrow (First Xmas at RM)

Post by krussel »

Letters may be a little higher but flats will be about the same as a normal sat.
The mail should reach the office quicker so you may get out sooner. Packets are going to be at least double from what you would normally have. The knocks on the doors will increase your delivery time.

You may need a refresh by a driver into the trolley. If so make sure you arrange this with the driver face to face before you go out so is totally clear.

Good luck.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: what to expect tomorrow (First Xmas at RM)

Post by krussel »

lmc wrote:Thanks,Although I have never used it I have noticed a dropbox on the route so that would make sense.

Make sure both you and the driver have matching keys. You may be better arranging a refresh drop. :hmmmm
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Re: what to expect tomorrow (First Xmas at RM)

Post by Postie45 »

"Also probably a really daft question but what happens in other offices if you physically can't fit any more in the HCT?"

be aware that over filling any Royal Mail equipment which results in an injury to you or someone else will be seen as YOUR fault, RM will wash its hands of you. Yes they turn a blind eye to it as it gets the job done, but that will quickly change if there is some type of blame to be dished out.
Its up to YOU to inform your manager if you cant manage to get everything into the HCT. Not only will it make your life slightly easier, you wont be liable for any blame for over filling equipment.
lmc
Posts: 15
Joined: 28 Jan 2013, 13:14
Gender: Male

Re: what to expect tomorrow (First Xmas at RM)

Post by lmc »

All good advice and greatly appreciated.Thank you.