ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Quick fix for Shin Splint?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Stormproof
Posts: 6116
Joined: 07 Jul 2007, 21:03
Gender: Female

Quick fix for Shin Splint?

Post by Stormproof »

Anyone got any knowledge of Shin Splints? I get them a couple of times a year but nothing like the pain I'm having today. Noticed the start of it on my 1st loop this morning, by the time I got to loop 6 I could barely walk and the pain is spreading towards my ankle. Going off sick is not an option.
So keep on moving, moving, moving your feet
Keep on shuf-shuf-shuffling to this ghost dance beat
Just keep on walking down never ending streets


Illegitimi non carborundum
Animalkit
Posts: 1
Joined: 19 Jun 2013, 23:08
Gender: Male

Re: Quick fix for Shin Splint?

Post by Animalkit »

Micropore tape tightly wrapped around about 2 inches below the knee
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Quick fix for Shin Splint?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

ice and elevation, and bandage tightly when working
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
spiderj
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 969
Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
Gender: Male
Location: ctp

Re: Quick fix for Shin Splint?

Post by spiderj »

Also try different footwear as well as strapping it up.

Contact NHS 24 about meds.

I also use a massager :thumbup
I won
Rumple
Posts: 429
Joined: 20 Nov 2013, 10:45
Gender: Male

Re: Quick fix for Shin Splint?

Post by Rumple »

Shorten your stride length. It'll add time to your duty but definitely worked for me.
doorstepped
Posts: 1063
Joined: 10 Oct 2011, 23:17
Gender: Male
Location: Somewhere west of London

Re: Quick fix for Shin Splint?

Post by doorstepped »

warm up your calf muscles before you start your walk.

stand on a kerbstone facing away from the road with your heels over the kerb balancing on your toes only.

gentle lower your heel and try and touch the roadway, alternate legs for 20 reps, slowly, it will stretch your calf muscles and stop then contracting so much as to pull on the shin.
Treacle12
Posts: 16
Joined: 14 Dec 2013, 17:07
Gender: Male

Re: Quick fix for Shin Splint?

Post by Treacle12 »

Its an overuse injury so rest is important .As mentioned try a different shoe if possible . There are several strengthening exercises you can do to help
loverman shabba
Posts: 238
Joined: 11 Jul 2013, 15:15
Gender: Male

Re: Quick fix for Shin Splint?

Post by loverman shabba »

amputation :evil/mad
saddlerposty
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 248
Joined: 08 Mar 2010, 18:20
Gender: Male

Re: Quick fix for Shin Splint?

Post by saddlerposty »

had it a few years back, its a swelling on the sheath that covers the tendons, hence the proper name tendonitis, until the swelling goes down (oh er missus :wink: ) it wont get any better, if going sick isn't an option then your in for a sore crimbo, it needs rest and ice ice baby.
postiewhite
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 619
Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
Gender: Male

Re: Quick fix for Shin Splint?

Post by postiewhite »

R.I.C.E

Rest, Ice,compression and elevation.
Unfortunately rest is going to have the best effect in the healing
Stormproof
Posts: 6116
Joined: 07 Jul 2007, 21:03
Gender: Female

Re: Quick fix for Shin Splint?

Post by Stormproof »

Thanks for the info guys. Rested it over night and it was'nt as painful today. Informed a LM this morning as soon as I got in that it may cause me to cut off my duty early, the response I got I may as well of talked to a brick wall! I'm sure its the s**t footwear we have to wear that has caused it.
So keep on moving, moving, moving your feet
Keep on shuf-shuf-shuffling to this ghost dance beat
Just keep on walking down never ending streets


Illegitimi non carborundum
mattyj
Posts: 12
Joined: 13 Dec 2012, 16:17
Gender: Male

Re: Quick fix for Shin Splint?

Post by mattyj »

You using magnums by any chance? They have me shin splints a few years ago. I weighed them and hiking boots I use to walk my dog, the magnum weighed nearly 3 times as much as my own boots. Trying to get that through to a manager tho :roll: