I have a new "Waterproof" coat to wear. As the current one does not stop rain penetration (particularly on the arms) for more than 30 mins in heavy rain, I thought I would see what EN343 means with regard to resisting water penetration. Googling gives me this :-
EN 343 symbol EN 343 Protection against foul weather.
This standard encompasses materials and stitching and is divided into two sections: water penetration and resistance to water vapour.
For water penetration there are 3 classes, where Class 2 requires Wp (water pressure) ≥ 8000 Pa and Class 3 requires Wp ≥ 13000 Pa. Class 1 requires the same as Class 2, but without pre-treatment.
For resistance against water vapour, that is to say RET, (the lower the rating the greater the penetration) there are 3 classes:
Class 1: RET ≥ 40
Class 2: 20 < RET ≤ 40
Class 3: RET ≤ 20
Water penetration is noted at the top in the symbol and resistance to water vapour is at thebottom in the symbol.
Class 3 which is what is quoted as the highest penetration prevention. Will be interesting to see how this one performs.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
RM Stormcoat
-
wabbithunta
- Posts: 872
- Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 18:39
- Gender: Male
- Location: On Planet Earth... Unlike the people who run RM!
Re: RM Stormcoat
So does that mean it doesn't pass the "Bucket of Water Test At Zero Feet" then? 
"Better to die on your feet than live a life time on your knees"
-
Lazycarton
- Posts: 193
- Joined: 15 Mar 2012, 18:52
- Gender: Male
Re: RM Stormcoat
I am tempted to leave the coat hanging in the shower for 30 mins, but I am not sure that I am that brave 
-
wabbithunta
- Posts: 872
- Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 18:39
- Gender: Male
- Location: On Planet Earth... Unlike the people who run RM!
Re: RM Stormcoat
Hanging it in the shower is one thing, turning the shower on is another. 
"Better to die on your feet than live a life time on your knees"