ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Black Friday ready for next week???

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
koolishy67
Posts: 665
Joined: 04 Nov 2010, 21:02
Gender: Male

Black Friday ready for next week???

Post by koolishy67 »

Expecting more parcel next week manager told me today. What do you think?? :arrrghhh :arrrghhh
terry2972
Posts: 482
Joined: 17 Jan 2014, 15:26
Gender: Male

Re: Black Friday ready for next week???

Post by terry2972 »

Doesn't bother me as I collect my mail from drop boxes so once bag is full I can't take any more so happy days glad I arnt on park and loop
rhino49
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1644
Joined: 04 Jun 2007, 21:50
Gender: Male
Location: At home with my feet up

Re: Black Friday ready for next week???

Post by rhino49 »

Everything else gets reduced on Black Friday - how about cutting deliveries by 50% and giving all the posties a half day off to go shopping :nana
We wish to serve - but we will not be servile
manboss
Posts: 110
Joined: 20 Feb 2013, 15:55
Gender: Male

Re: Black Friday ready for next week???

Post by manboss »

How and why has black Friday come to the uk? it makes no sense to me that our retailers are doing this.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Black Friday ready for next week???

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

manboss wrote:How and why has black Friday come to the uk? it makes no sense to me that our retailers are doing this.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/news ... -know.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Q. Why has it come over to UK?
This is curious. Why has an event, entirely linked to the US holiday season, arrived in Britain? Our busiest shopping days are Saturday and Sunday. Not Friday. And we have a long history of big sales – on Boxing Day and in the New Year, not in November.
There are two reasons. One, over the last decade retailers – faced with tough trading conditions – have started to go on sale long before Christmas. Many, particularly the toy retailers, have run promotions coinciding with pay day at the end of November. So Black Friday, in some ways, just crystalises a range of different "flash sales" such as Debenham's Blue Cross sales or Marks and Spencer's 20 per cent off weekend, into one day.
The other reason is we just can't seem to stop ourselves embracing American commercial festivals: Fathers' Day, Starbucks and Hallowe'en. And now Black Friday. The first retailers to offer discounts in the UK were American. Amazon claims to be first, experimenting with a few deals in 2010, and Asda (owned by Walmart), who offered deals in its supermarkets last year, sparking large crowds.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
dave72
Posts: 415
Joined: 30 Nov 2010, 14:54
Gender: Male

Re: Black Friday ready for next week???

Post by dave72 »

Last pay day of the year for many too, so they will order to the hilt on that :sad:
OnAFlyer
Posts: 1938
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
Gender: Male

Re: Black Friday ready for next week???

Post by OnAFlyer »

terry2972 wrote:Doesn't bother me as I collect my mail from drop boxes so once bag is full I can't take any more so happy days glad I arnt on park and loop
What's it matter, I'm on P&L and get paid for 39hrs, so that's what they're getting. Doesn't bother me if I have 10 packet bags a day.
Jpro747
Posts: 1342
Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
Gender: Male

Re: Black Friday ready for next week???

Post by Jpro747 »

The shops are just trying on scare tactics to get you to spend your hard earned cash,,load of american rubbish!
Wild Rover
Posts: 614
Joined: 03 Aug 2007, 17:41
Location: Jockistan

Re: Black Friday ready for next week???

Post by Wild Rover »

My contracted hours still say the same regardless of excess packets or not..
Lazycarton
Posts: 193
Joined: 15 Mar 2012, 18:52
Gender: Male

Re: Black Friday ready for next week???

Post by Lazycarton »

You couldn't force me at gunpoint to join the hordes scrabbling for "bargains". Edmonton Tesco closed because of fighting and looting :Very Happy
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Black Friday ready for next week???

Post by dvbuk55 »

I'm surprised nobody anywhere has suggested that BLACK Friday may not strictly be PC. I think it's a big con. I had 20 emails from various stores businesses claiming to have huge discounts which is rubbish. One example is the Karcher suction window cleaner which I bought for £49.99 last year, from a store which is saying it's £50 on black Friday and declared it's usual price is £100 :shock:
cyclemech1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 334
Joined: 20 Jul 2009, 20:46
Gender: Male

Re: Black Friday ready for next week???

Post by cyclemech1 »

dvbuk55 wrote:I'm surprised nobody anywhere has suggested that BLACK Friday may not strictly be PC. I think it's a big con. I had 20 emails from various stores businesses claiming to have huge discounts which is rubbish. One example is the Karcher suction window cleaner which I bought for £49.99 last year, from a store which is saying it's £50 on black Friday and declared it's usual price is £100 :shock:
Apparently, it's Cyber Monday next Monday. :cuppa I think the Yanks have a lot to answer for. :evil/mad
DGP1
Posts: 15551
Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
Gender: Male
Location: Terminus

Re: Black Friday ready for next week???

Post by DGP1 »

cyclemech1 wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:I'm surprised nobody anywhere has suggested that BLACK Friday may not strictly be PC. I think it's a big con. I had 20 emails from various stores businesses claiming to have huge discounts which is rubbish. One example is the Karcher suction window cleaner which I bought for £49.99 last year, from a store which is saying it's £50 on black Friday and declared it's usual price is £100 :shock:
Apparently, it's Cyber Monday next Monday. :cuppa I think the Yanks have a lot to answer for. :evil/mad
I'm just waiting for Shrove Tuesday :nervous
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Black Friday ready for next week???

Post by dvbuk55 »

DGP1 wrote:
cyclemech1 wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:I'm surprised nobody anywhere has suggested that BLACK Friday may not strictly be PC. I think it's a big con. I had 20 emails from various stores businesses claiming to have huge discounts which is rubbish. One example is the Karcher suction window cleaner which I bought for £49.99 last year, from a store which is saying it's £50 on black Friday and declared it's usual price is £100 :shock:
Apparently, it's Cyber Monday next Monday. :cuppa I think the Yanks have a lot to answer for. :evil/mad
I'm just waiting for Shrove Tuesday :nervous
Oh get away with you DG you can have pancakes any day of the week - I presume ST is not some sort of code :wave
DGP1
Posts: 15551
Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
Gender: Male
Location: Terminus

Re: Black Friday ready for next week???

Post by DGP1 »

dvbuk55 wrote:
DGP1 wrote:
cyclemech1 wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:I'm surprised nobody anywhere has suggested that BLACK Friday may not strictly be PC. I think it's a big con. I had 20 emails from various stores businesses claiming to have huge discounts which is rubbish. One example is the Karcher suction window cleaner which I bought for £49.99 last year, from a store which is saying it's £50 on black Friday and declared it's usual price is £100 :shock:
Apparently, it's Cyber Monday next Monday. :cuppa I think the Yanks have a lot to answer for. :evil/mad
I'm just waiting for Shrove Tuesday :nervous
Oh get away with you DG you can have pancakes any day of the week - I presume ST is not some sort of code :wave
If you come over to the naughty room I'll show you :Very Happy
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio