ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Black Friday ready for next week???
-
koolishy67
- Posts: 665
- Joined: 04 Nov 2010, 21:02
- Gender: Male
Black Friday ready for next week???
Expecting more parcel next week manager told me today. What do you think??

-
terry2972
- Posts: 482
- Joined: 17 Jan 2014, 15:26
- Gender: Male
Re: Black Friday ready for next week???
Doesn't bother me as I collect my mail from drop boxes so once bag is full I can't take any more so happy days glad I arnt on park and loop
-
rhino49
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1644
- Joined: 04 Jun 2007, 21:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: At home with my feet up
Re: Black Friday ready for next week???
Everything else gets reduced on Black Friday - how about cutting deliveries by 50% and giving all the posties a half day off to go shopping 
We wish to serve - but we will not be servile
-
manboss
- Posts: 110
- Joined: 20 Feb 2013, 15:55
- Gender: Male
Re: Black Friday ready for next week???
How and why has black Friday come to the uk? it makes no sense to me that our retailers are doing this.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72738
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Black Friday ready for next week???
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/news ... -know.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;manboss wrote:How and why has black Friday come to the uk? it makes no sense to me that our retailers are doing this.
Q. Why has it come over to UK?
This is curious. Why has an event, entirely linked to the US holiday season, arrived in Britain? Our busiest shopping days are Saturday and Sunday. Not Friday. And we have a long history of big sales – on Boxing Day and in the New Year, not in November.
There are two reasons. One, over the last decade retailers – faced with tough trading conditions – have started to go on sale long before Christmas. Many, particularly the toy retailers, have run promotions coinciding with pay day at the end of November. So Black Friday, in some ways, just crystalises a range of different "flash sales" such as Debenham's Blue Cross sales or Marks and Spencer's 20 per cent off weekend, into one day.
The other reason is we just can't seem to stop ourselves embracing American commercial festivals: Fathers' Day, Starbucks and Hallowe'en. And now Black Friday. The first retailers to offer discounts in the UK were American. Amazon claims to be first, experimenting with a few deals in 2010, and Asda (owned by Walmart), who offered deals in its supermarkets last year, sparking large crowds.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
dave72
- Posts: 415
- Joined: 30 Nov 2010, 14:54
- Gender: Male
Re: Black Friday ready for next week???
Last pay day of the year for many too, so they will order to the hilt on that 
-
OnAFlyer
- Posts: 1938
- Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
- Gender: Male
Re: Black Friday ready for next week???
What's it matter, I'm on P&L and get paid for 39hrs, so that's what they're getting. Doesn't bother me if I have 10 packet bags a day.terry2972 wrote:Doesn't bother me as I collect my mail from drop boxes so once bag is full I can't take any more so happy days glad I arnt on park and loop
-
Jpro747
- Posts: 1342
- Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
- Gender: Male
Re: Black Friday ready for next week???
The shops are just trying on scare tactics to get you to spend your hard earned cash,,load of american rubbish!
-
Wild Rover
- Posts: 614
- Joined: 03 Aug 2007, 17:41
- Location: Jockistan
Re: Black Friday ready for next week???
My contracted hours still say the same regardless of excess packets or not..
-
Lazycarton
- Posts: 193
- Joined: 15 Mar 2012, 18:52
- Gender: Male
Re: Black Friday ready for next week???
You couldn't force me at gunpoint to join the hordes scrabbling for "bargains". Edmonton Tesco closed because of fighting and looting 
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Black Friday ready for next week???
I'm surprised nobody anywhere has suggested that BLACK Friday may not strictly be PC. I think it's a big con. I had 20 emails from various stores businesses claiming to have huge discounts which is rubbish. One example is the Karcher suction window cleaner which I bought for £49.99 last year, from a store which is saying it's £50 on black Friday and declared it's usual price is £100 
-
cyclemech1
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 334
- Joined: 20 Jul 2009, 20:46
- Gender: Male
Re: Black Friday ready for next week???
Apparently, it's Cyber Monday next Monday.dvbuk55 wrote:I'm surprised nobody anywhere has suggested that BLACK Friday may not strictly be PC. I think it's a big con. I had 20 emails from various stores businesses claiming to have huge discounts which is rubbish. One example is the Karcher suction window cleaner which I bought for £49.99 last year, from a store which is saying it's £50 on black Friday and declared it's usual price is £100
-
DGP1
- Posts: 15551
- Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
- Gender: Male
- Location: Terminus
Re: Black Friday ready for next week???
I'm just waiting for Shrove Tuesdaycyclemech1 wrote:Apparently, it's Cyber Monday next Monday.dvbuk55 wrote:I'm surprised nobody anywhere has suggested that BLACK Friday may not strictly be PC. I think it's a big con. I had 20 emails from various stores businesses claiming to have huge discounts which is rubbish. One example is the Karcher suction window cleaner which I bought for £49.99 last year, from a store which is saying it's £50 on black Friday and declared it's usual price is £100I think the Yanks have a lot to answer for.
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Black Friday ready for next week???
Oh get away with you DG you can have pancakes any day of the week - I presume ST is not some sort of codeDGP1 wrote:I'm just waiting for Shrove Tuesdaycyclemech1 wrote:Apparently, it's Cyber Monday next Monday.dvbuk55 wrote:I'm surprised nobody anywhere has suggested that BLACK Friday may not strictly be PC. I think it's a big con. I had 20 emails from various stores businesses claiming to have huge discounts which is rubbish. One example is the Karcher suction window cleaner which I bought for £49.99 last year, from a store which is saying it's £50 on black Friday and declared it's usual price is £100I think the Yanks have a lot to answer for.
-
DGP1
- Posts: 15551
- Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
- Gender: Male
- Location: Terminus
Re: Black Friday ready for next week???
If you come over to the naughty room I'll show youdvbuk55 wrote:Oh get away with you DG you can have pancakes any day of the week - I presume ST is not some sort of codeDGP1 wrote:I'm just waiting for Shrove Tuesdaycyclemech1 wrote:Apparently, it's Cyber Monday next Monday.dvbuk55 wrote:I'm surprised nobody anywhere has suggested that BLACK Friday may not strictly be PC. I think it's a big con. I had 20 emails from various stores businesses claiming to have huge discounts which is rubbish. One example is the Karcher suction window cleaner which I bought for £49.99 last year, from a store which is saying it's £50 on black Friday and declared it's usual price is £100I think the Yanks have a lot to answer for.
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio