Had a rather heated discussion with the DOM , concerning taking mail from the public. I was always told NOT to do it. Tell them to use the nearest Postbox. I was also told that if emptying that Postbox and someone offered me a handful on mail, I was the tell them to place it in the sack. The reason being, if their letter goes missing the first they say is, "I gave it to Postman X" and then the finger is firmly pointed at you.
DOM: You can take stamped mail from the public if you're on a rural (this guy wasn't lives on an estate 300m from a Postbox and runs a business from home). Thought they had to pay for a Business Collection? Dom: You can collect Business mail if it's got a stamp on. To add insult to injury he said, "Don't forget to knock on that bloke's door and collect the mail"! WTF?