ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Van Retention question.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Cyborg
Posts: 5
Joined: 01 Nov 2013, 11:56
Gender: Male

Van Retention question.

Post by Cyborg »

Hi,

Just a quick question to quell a pillock who lives with me.

I use the van for home retention as requested by DOM, the van is parked on drive and off road.

The pillock in question wants to prove that this is correct as he's moaning why Royal Van isn't allowed on road.

Could someone kindly explain here the reasons why vans have to be off road...insurance reasons etc.

As he doesn't believe a word I'm saying..grrrrrrr

Thanks, look forward to putting this pillock in place.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Van Retention question.

Post by Lounge Lizard »

Tell the pillock that live with you that insurance and Royal Mail regulations require the van to be parked on the drive not the road - and if they don't like it they should move. :wave
I'm sure someone on here will be able to copy the appropriate regulations. :cuppa
CAMPINGBLUNDERER
Posts: 182
Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 14:37
Gender: Male

Re: Van Retention question.

Post by CAMPINGBLUNDERER »

All of our vans are parked on the road , there is nowhere else to park them ( we are a small sub office )
Cyborg
Posts: 5
Joined: 01 Nov 2013, 11:56
Gender: Male

Re: Van Retention question.

Post by Cyborg »

CAMPINGBLUNDERER wrote:All of our vans are parked on the road , there is nowhere else to park them ( we are a small sub office )
This is a home retention question mate. If the van is used for home retention then rules state it needs to be parked on drive and off road.
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: Van Retention question.

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

Cyborg wrote:
CAMPINGBLUNDERER wrote:All of our vans are parked on the road , there is nowhere else to park them ( we are a small sub office )
This is a home retention question mate. If the van is used for home retention then rules state it needs to be parked on drive and off road.

Actually no where in the home retention policy does it state that, there is no insurance reasons insisting on this either, vans for home retention can be parked on public road over night in compliance with the risk assessment for that home retention
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Van Retention question.

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... =6&t=28616" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but its not as clear cut as you suggest, a lot of hedging and "if possible"s

18. I agree that I am personally liable for the vehicle during the period that I am permitted to retain it and it is in my possession and I agree to adhere to the Security arrangements listed below

a. Wherever possible vehicles or powered equipment must not be parked in areas accessed by the public
23. Don’t allow vehicles to be parked in areas that offer no natural surveillance or may encourage vandalism - such as on wasteland, down entries - areas where criminal activity can take place unobserved (would you be confident parking your own vehicle there?). There is a significant deterrent to criminal activity if the vehicle is parked in an area that offers 'natural surveillance'. Surveillance in this context doesn't mean CCTV; it is simply an area where the vehicle can be observed directly or subconsciously by neighbours, friends, or passers-by.

24. Where possible the vehicle should be parked directly outside your house, preferably in a garage or on a driveway


25. Where possible ensure vehicles are parked in well lit areas
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Cyborg
Posts: 5
Joined: 01 Nov 2013, 11:56
Gender: Male

Re: Van Retention question.

Post by Cyborg »

My DOM asked for a photo of my driveway before I got granted home retention.

I was clearly told to park it off road and on drive, which I have done since I got home retention.

If the rules aren't clear cut on this then, I'll need to speak to the DOM ( we have a new one now ) and probably get the head nod saying yes keep it off road.

Common sense to me.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Van Retention question.

Post by Lounge Lizard »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... =6&t=28616 but its not as clear cut as you suggest, a lot of hedging and "if possible"s

18. I agree that I am personally liable for the vehicle during the period that I am permitted to retain it and it is in my possession and I agree to adhere to the Security arrangements listed below

a. Wherever possible vehicles or powered equipment must not be parked in areas accessed by the public
23. Don’t allow vehicles to be parked in areas that offer no natural surveillance or may encourage vandalism - such as on wasteland, down entries - areas where criminal activity can take place unobserved (would you be confident parking your own vehicle there?). There is a significant deterrent to criminal activity if the vehicle is parked in an area that offers 'natural surveillance'. Surveillance in this context doesn't mean CCTV; it is simply an area where the vehicle can be observed directly or subconsciously by neighbours, friends, or passers-by.

24. Where possible the vehicle should be parked directly outside your house, preferably in a garage or on a driveway


25. Where possible ensure vehicles are parked in well lit areas
TBT,
Looking at my Authorised Retention Agreement there are no paragraphs beyond '21' but in the individual details that are filled in under "Permitted Parking Location" has been entered "on private driveway at --- ------ ----" :shock: so if an office has greater problems with what to do with the vans overnight something less strict like "on road outside --- ------ ----" might be offered. :thumbup
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: Van Retention question.

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

Cyborg wrote:My DOM asked for a photo of my driveway before I got granted home retention.

I was clearly told to park it off road and on drive, which I have done since I got home retention.

If the rules aren't clear cut on this then, I'll need to speak to the DOM ( we have a new one now ) and probably get the head nod saying yes keep it off road.

Common sense to me.

The reason it's not all clear cut is its down to the dom decisions on the risk assessment it's nothing to do with insurance etc

Also just a point of interest for people, when it comes to insurance the public road is cheaper than on a drive way which in turn is cheaper than in a garage
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Van Retention question.

Post by Lounge Lizard »

zx135 wrote:
Cyborg wrote:My DOM asked for a photo of my driveway before I got granted home retention.

I was clearly told to park it off road and on drive, which I have done since I got home retention.

If the rules aren't clear cut on this then, I'll need to speak to the DOM ( we have a new one now ) and probably get the head nod saying yes keep it off road.

Common sense to me.

The reason it's not all clear cut is its down to the dom decisions on the risk assessment it's nothing to do with insurance etc

Also just a point of interest for people, when it comes to insurance the public road is cheaper than on a drive way which in turn is cheaper than in a garage
Yes, but the actual location of some overnight retention vans isn't going to make any difference to the cost of insurance, especially as Royal Mail doesn't actually insure the vans.
rubberbond
Posts: 1497
Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
Gender: Male

Re: Van Retention question.

Post by rubberbond »

Yes, but the actual location of some overnight retention vans isn't going to make any difference to the cost of insurance, especially as Royal Mail doesn't actually insure the vans.[/quote]


How does that work then? Do they have some kind of immunity from law? I know they don't own the vans,however they still have to insure them.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Van Retention question.

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

rubberbond wrote:
Lounge Lizard wrote:Yes, but the actual location of some overnight retention vans isn't going to make any difference to the cost of insurance, especially as Royal Mail doesn't actually insure the vans.

How does that work then? Do they have some kind of immunity from law? I know they don't own the vans,however they still have to insure them.
They operate by using a bond.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
daveyeff
Posts: 4699
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
Gender: Male

Re: Van Retention question.

Post by daveyeff »

Cyborg wrote:My DOM asked for a photo of my driveway before I got granted home retention.

I was clearly told to park it off road and on drive, which I have done since I got home retention.

If the rules aren't clear cut on this then, I'll need to speak to the DOM ( we have a new one now ) and probably get the head nod saying yes keep it off road.

Common sense to me.
it may be common sense, but there are plenty of people taking vans home who don't have a drive....most of our lads park them on the road because that's the only place available. our dom doesn't care either way because there is nowhere to park them if they are left at the office. there is no room in the yard. so he's glad people take them home...drive or no drive.
Stormproof
Posts: 6116
Joined: 07 Jul 2007, 21:03
Gender: Female

Re: Van Retention question.

Post by Stormproof »

I bring a van home and its parked on a road. The managers know that and I've never had a problem.
So keep on moving, moving, moving your feet
Keep on shuf-shuf-shuffling to this ghost dance beat
Just keep on walking down never ending streets


Illegitimi non carborundum
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Van Retention question.

Post by Lounge Lizard »

daveyeff wrote:
Cyborg wrote:My DOM asked for a photo of my driveway before I got granted home retention.

I was clearly told to park it off road and on drive, which I have done since I got home retention.

If the rules aren't clear cut on this then, I'll need to speak to the DOM ( we have a new one now ) and probably get the head nod saying yes keep it off road.

Common sense to me.
it may be common sense, but there are plenty of people taking vans home who don't have a drive....most of our lads park them on the road because that's the only place available. our dom doesn't care either way because there is nowhere to park them if they are left at the office. there is no room in the yard. so he's glad people take them home...drive or no drive.
It depends how desperate the DOM is to get rid of some vans overnight.
But if you've got a drive that's where you will be told to park it.