ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

some advice please

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Cheltpostie2013
Posts: 11
Joined: 24 May 2013, 13:06
Gender: Male

some advice please

Post by Cheltpostie2013 »

I keep being sent to other offices some over an hour away, with no training on the jobs is this acceptable? its really taking its toll on me now I work in the evenings doing collections and by time I get home from these other offices im barely having any rest.
weary_posty
Posts: 225
Joined: 01 Jul 2011, 15:08
Gender: Male

Re: some advice please

Post by weary_posty »

Just work your hours

Arrive at the office at your start time
have them arrange transport for you to another office if you are moved
Inform the DOM at the other office you will only be working your time
Return to your office at you finish time.
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: some advice please

Post by krussel »

How are you getting there ?

Are they driving you over and picking you back up within the duty time. ?
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
Cheltpostie2013
Posts: 11
Joined: 24 May 2013, 13:06
Gender: Male

Re: some advice please

Post by Cheltpostie2013 »

We'll I have been turning up a couple of hours early as I normally box up the job I'll be working on in my office but now I keep getting sent to these offices I may just come in at my start time of 9.30, I have been taking a van over most days and finishing the round at my finish time and driving back without claiming.
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: some advice please

Post by krussel »

Cheltpostie2013 wrote:We'll I have been turning up a couple of hours early as I normally box up the job I'll be working on in my office but now I keep getting sent to these offices I may just come in at my start time of 9.30, I have been taking a van over most days and finishing the round at my finish time and driving back without claiming.

Ok least you are getting a van.

If they ask you to use your car at any time just tell them that your insurance only covers you to commute to a single place of work and not business use.

Speak to your manager about the extra hours you are doing as he /she might not be aware. If they do not want to pay / or you have had enough just inform the manager that you are only going to work your contracted hours.

I don't know if your a CWU member but if your going to be shipped around like this a Rep may be a good friend to have on board.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
Barbel
Posts: 593
Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
Gender: Male

Re: some advice please

Post by Barbel »

Just refuse to do it if you don't know the round or work until your time and take it back to the office. It should be illegal to send people out on rounds that they don't know.
blisterfeet
Posts: 103
Joined: 13 Jun 2012, 18:48
Gender: Male

Re: some advice please

Post by blisterfeet »

Barbel wrote:Just refuse to do it if you don't know the round or work until your time and take it back to the office. It should be illegal to send people out on rounds that they don't know.
I wouldnt refuse to do it because as has been posted on here before about being sent to other offices its a reasonable request. If you don't know the round you're going to be doing when you're there you could ask why it's always you being sent and as you say you don't know the route they can't say its because you have knowledge of the delivery. I would work to your time though, start at your "home" office at your official start time and take your meal breaks and make sure you're at your home office for the end of your shift. Not finish at the other office at your finish time then travel back (unless you want and are getting overtime for this)
rubberbond
Posts: 1497
Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
Gender: Male

Re: some advice please

Post by rubberbond »

blisterfeet wrote:
Barbel wrote:Just refuse to do it if you don't know the round or work until your time and take it back to the office. It should be illegal to send people out on rounds that they don't know.
I wouldnt refuse to do it because as has been posted on here before about being sent to other offices its a reasonable request. If you don't know the round you're going to be doing when you're there you could ask why it's always you being sent and as you say you don't know the route they can't say its because you have knowledge of the delivery. I would work to your time though, start at your "home" office at your official start time and take your meal breaks and make sure you're at your home office for the end of your shift. Not finish at the other office at your finish time then travel back (unless you want and are getting overtime for this)
I don't think it is reasonable to send someone out blind in another office,in fact it should be on a fair and equal basis,not just one person all the time. Get someone with high seniority to do it, oh no, silly me, they are untouchable in this business.
blisterfeet
Posts: 103
Joined: 13 Jun 2012, 18:48
Gender: Male

Re: some advice please

Post by blisterfeet »

rubberbond wrote:
blisterfeet wrote:
Barbel wrote:Just refuse to do it if you don't know the round or work until your time and take it back to the office. It should be illegal to send people out on rounds that they don't know.
I wouldnt refuse to do it because as has been posted on here before about being sent to other offices its a reasonable request. If you don't know the round you're going to be doing when you're there you could ask why it's always you being sent and as you say you don't know the route they can't say its because you have knowledge of the delivery. I would work to your time though, start at your "home" office at your official start time and take your meal breaks and make sure you're at your home office for the end of your shift. Not finish at the other office at your finish time then travel back (unless you want and are getting overtime for this)
I don't think it is reasonable to send someone out blind in another office,in fact it should be on a fair and equal basis,not just one person all the time. Get someone with high seniority to do it, oh no, silly me, they are untouchable in this business.
The problem is that the new contracts say that they can be sent to other offices but I agree that it shouldn't be the same person being sent time after time, thats why I said ask why its you being sent. What do you mean by high seniority people are untouchable? do you not think that loyalty in a company should count for something?
tansorboy
Posts: 355
Joined: 22 Jan 2012, 12:41
Gender: Male

Re: some advice please

Post by tansorboy »

blisterfeet wrote:
rubberbond wrote:
blisterfeet wrote:
Barbel wrote:Just refuse to do it if you don't know the round or work until your time and take it back to the office. It should be illegal to send people out on rounds that they don't know.
I wouldnt refuse to do it because as has been posted on here before about being sent to other offices its a reasonable request. If you don't know the round you're going to be doing when you're there you could ask why it's always you being sent and as you say you don't know the route they can't say its because you have knowledge of the delivery. I would work to your time though, start at your "home" office at your official start time and take your meal breaks and make sure you're at your home office for the end of your shift. Not finish at the other office at your finish time then travel back (unless you want and are getting overtime for this)
I don't think it is reasonable to send someone out blind in another office,in fact it should be on a fair and equal basis,not just one person all the time. Get someone with high seniority to do it, oh no, silly me, they are untouchable in this business.
The problem is that the new contracts say that they can be sent to other offices but I agree that it shouldn't be the same person being sent time after time, thats why I said ask why its you being sent. What do you mean by high seniority people are untouchable? do you not think that loyalty in a company should count for something?
We all earn the same don't we? Oh, apart from the seniors who have grandfather rights for driving, early starts and all sorts of other crazy allowances just for turning up for work and doing less than anyone else.
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: some advice please

Post by krussel »

tansorboy wrote:We all earn the same don't we? Oh, apart from the seniors who have grandfather rights for driving, early starts and all sorts of other crazy allowances just for turning up for work and doing less than anyone else.
That's a separate issue. There are contracted reasons for this. Can i suggest you start another thread if you feel your being hard done by seniors.

This thread is to try and help some poor sod who seems to be shoved from pillar to post. :hmmmm
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
Ricardo44
Posts: 164
Joined: 15 Dec 2013, 20:34
Gender: Male

Re: some advice please

Post by Ricardo44 »

There are some senior men in my office who have been shafted by management and are forced to work as leave reserves but its also true that there are some who have been on cushy rurals for years who seem to live in a different world to the rest of the office.
What really annoys me though are the ones who haven't been there very long but get given their own walks.