ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Ive just started as a postman, is this right, legal or usual
-
fcuts
- Posts: 4
- Joined: 17 Nov 2014, 17:29
- Gender: Male
Ive just started as a postman, is this right, legal or usual
Hi there.
I have just become a postman. Had the induction last thursday, went out with two different postmen on two different rounds (friday & Sat). Then went out on my own on Monday (well the round was shared with another newbie).
Was just wondering is this right? I was told i would be shadowing someone for two weeks til i got accustomed to the role.
My hours are meant to be 9-2 but so far i have been in at 8. Yesterday didnt finish til gone 3 and NO break. Is this legal?
Thinking of getting out already if this is how the job is going to be.
Any help, comments, advice welcomed.
I have just become a postman. Had the induction last thursday, went out with two different postmen on two different rounds (friday & Sat). Then went out on my own on Monday (well the round was shared with another newbie).
Was just wondering is this right? I was told i would be shadowing someone for two weeks til i got accustomed to the role.
My hours are meant to be 9-2 but so far i have been in at 8. Yesterday didnt finish til gone 3 and NO break. Is this legal?
Thinking of getting out already if this is how the job is going to be.
Any help, comments, advice welcomed.
-
rhino49
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1644
- Joined: 04 Jun 2007, 21:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: At home with my feet up
Re: Ive just started as a postman, is this right, legal or u
If you expected an easy life - leave now !
We wish to serve - but we will not be servile
-
fcuts
- Posts: 4
- Joined: 17 Nov 2014, 17:29
- Gender: Male
Re: Ive just started as a postman, is this right, legal or u
Not an easy life, but just want what was promised when i signed up.
Is this an example of what is to come?
Is this an example of what is to come?
-
kirstyx
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 147
- Joined: 24 Jul 2012, 16:45
- Gender: Female
Re: Ive just started as a postman, is this right, legal or u
its up to you to take your break this job is mainly managing your time effectively. unfortunatly shadowing an experienced postie for more than 4 days is very unusual so you were probably told the ideal situation but due to the busy time of year plus high sickness means as soon as you are classed as competent you are on your own. its hard physical work and it takes a while to get into the rhythem of the job but once you are there its enjoyable once you are away from the managers that is 
-
kirstyx
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 147
- Joined: 24 Jul 2012, 16:45
- Gender: Female
Re: Ive just started as a postman, is this right, legal or u
if you are told to come in early then make sure you get paid for it if you arent being paid to come in an hour early then dont do it. if you need to finish on time then make sure you notify the managers asap and again consult the manager once you have fully prepped the frame so then he can take an acceptable amount off you but honestly the finish times are a struggle to meet untill you are fully fit and know your route well and its not a majorly heavy day
-
korky
- Posts: 797
- Joined: 30 Dec 2007, 09:28
Re: Ive just started as a postman, is this right, legal or u
the 9-2 contracts are a scam, don't know any who actually works those times,fcuts wrote:Hi there.
I have just become a postman. Had the induction last thursday, went out with two different postmen on two different rounds (friday & Sat). Then went out on my own on Monday (well the round was shared with another newbie).
Was just wondering is this right? I was told i would be shadowing someone for two weeks til i got accustomed to the role.
My hours are meant to be 9-2 but so far i have been in at 8. Yesterday didnt finish til gone 3 and NO break. Is this legal?
Thinking of getting out already if this is how the job is going to be.
Any help, comments, advice welcomed.
we used to have newbies get decent training years ago, don't think anyone gets any now, my work place coach doesn't work at our office, all are thrown straight in at the deep end.
1st, do you want the overtime with starting earlier & finishing later? most do, others just do it, probably fear to start with?
you are allowed 20/30/40 mins or even more break time based on how many hours you are actually working that day, not your contracted hours,
some take it all or half at the end, just add it to your finish time if you do this (but most will frown upon this) though why anyone would want a 40 minute break after doing 1 hours prep then face a 4-5 hour slog straight through,
it beggars belief the mentality of managers who would pair 2 newbies together, it's not rocket science but an experienced oppo is handy,
you will probably be paired with someone who doesn't officially finish until after 3 next week
keep notes of what hours you work to cross check on wage slip
-
fcuts
- Posts: 4
- Joined: 17 Nov 2014, 17:29
- Gender: Male
Re: Ive just started as a postman, is this right, legal or u
Thanks for responses, appreciated.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Ive just started as a postman, is this right, legal or u
Hifcuts wrote:Hi there.
I
Thats about average - especially this time of year. I had the same when I started but then went onto a singleton round all by myself. At least thats improved with the new paired deliveries.fcuts wrote: have just become a postman. Had the induction last thursday, went out with two different postmen on two different rounds (friday & Sat). Then went out on my own on Monday (well the round was shared with another newbie).
Thats the ideal, but its not always possible.fcuts wrote:Was just wondering is this right? I was told i would be shadowing someone for two weeks til i got accustomed to the role.
The NO break is illegal - but its your responsibility to take it, as its paid the manager will assume that you have.fcuts wrote:My hours are meant to be 9-2 but so far i have been in at 8. Yesterday didnt finish til gone 3 and NO break. Is this legal?
Stick it out till at least Christmas as if you can cope with the work at this time of year you will be okay for the rest. It usually takes about 3 months on average to get the body and mind used to the work. One day you'll be shocked how much quicker you did the duty compared to now.fcuts wrote:Thinking of getting out already if this is how the job is going to be.
As I said stick it out for 3 months and it will all click into place. This is a fairly simple job, but you need to be fit both mentally and physically to enjoy it, and that adjustment takes time.fcuts wrote:Any help, comments, advice welcomed.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Hodsyharry
- Posts: 28
- Joined: 03 Jun 2014, 17:12
- Gender: Female
Re: Ive just started as a postman, is this right, legal or u
I have been in the job for just over a month. I shadowed an experienced postie for 3 days then on my own. Surprised you are working with another new postie, doesn't make sense to me. If I start at 9am, quite often little is prepped and can find I am the only one in the office at 11am still sorting my round. Been starting to come in early and paid overtime to avoid being out too late. Happy to take paid overtime when I can and have been to told leave a section if I cannot work late. I have also been told to make sure I claim for my 20min break if back late. I have also found that sometimes I have finished at 1.30 and been told I can leave. Everything seems to be heating up for the Christmas run and by what have been said it is not going to be easy. I would suggest dig in the now and hope it been better for you in new year? Good luck.
-
Nigel1505
- Posts: 409
- Joined: 10 Jun 2010, 08:24
- Gender: Male
Re: Ive just started as a postman, is this right, legal or u
Plenty of advice on here without me adding to it; except to say the first twenty years are the worst, after that its a doddle. 
-
Justanotherstar
- Posts: 351
- Joined: 28 Dec 2012, 10:43
- Gender: Male
Re: Ive just started as a postman, is this right, legal or u
if you don't take your break just add 40 minutes on when you book your overtime.
-
Craig_Fairbrass
- Posts: 36
- Joined: 13 Feb 2014, 11:26
- Gender: Male
Re: Ive just started as a postman, is this right, legal or u
Don't think that's allowed, sure I read on here before that breaks cannot be taken as overtime.Justanotherstar wrote:if you don't take your break just add 40 minutes on when you book your overtime.
-
pants123
Re: Ive just started as a postman, is this right, legal or u
the job is beyond human ability now,, everyone is being forced work for nothing now as the walks are 2 big,,, and will only get bigger, 2 years from now there will be no one to do delivery,as they will all have flogged everyone to death....fcuts wrote:Hi there.
I have just become a postman. Had the induction last thursday, went out with two different postmen on two different rounds (friday & Sat). Then went out on my own on Monday (well the round was shared with another newbie).
Was just wondering is this right? I was told i would be shadowing someone for two weeks til i got accustomed to the role.
My hours are meant to be 9-2 but so far i have been in at 8. Yesterday didnt finish til gone 3 and NO break. Is this legal?
Thinking of getting out already if this is how the job is going to be.
Any help, comments, advice welcomed.
-
raikky
- Posts: 212
- Joined: 19 Jun 2011, 01:09
- Gender: Female
Re: Ive just started as a postman, is this right, legal or u
evertime we have a revision the manager always says everyone must have their break. does it happen? no. do ppl book in 40 mins and get it? yesCraig_Fairbrass wrote:Don't think that's allowed, sure I read on here before that breaks cannot be taken as overtime.Justanotherstar wrote:if you don't take your break just add 40 minutes on when you book your overtime.
-
tansorboy
- Posts: 355
- Joined: 22 Jan 2012, 12:41
- Gender: Male
Re: Ive just started as a postman, is this right, legal or u
I had three days of training after the induction, then went solo, and was always last back to the office. It took me several weeks to work out what I was supposed to be doing, three months to get up to speed, and six months to be comfortable with this Hellish job. But I am super-fit now and have become full time, permanent.
Don't let anybody rush you, always take your breaks and book overtime if you go over your time. An old Postie told me soon after I started that if you don't punch anybody or steal anything, you will be kept on...Good Luck.
Don't let anybody rush you, always take your breaks and book overtime if you go over your time. An old Postie told me soon after I started that if you don't punch anybody or steal anything, you will be kept on...Good Luck.