ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Vauxhall combo vans

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Nigel1505
Posts: 409
Joined: 10 Jun 2010, 08:24
Gender: Male

Vauxhall combo vans

Post by Nigel1505 »

I am wondering if anyone else has suffered the same problem as me using the Vauxhall Combo vans. Due to the fact that the seat is not adjustable and is so low, getting in and out of the van on a regular basis has contributed to my back problems and I have developed sciatica. It has got so bad now it is affecting my sleep and general movement. If I am using any other van with an adjustable seat then the problem is nowhere as bad, as you can step out as opposed to dragging yourself out. I cannot be the only one who has encountered problems using this van. :Boo hoo!
norfolker
Posts: 8
Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 21:28
Gender: Male

Re: Vauxhall combo vans

Post by norfolker »

Had exactly the same had two weeks off with bad back. Now use a cushion on the seat to make it a bit higher. Other vans like a Bipper are much higher, with adjustable seat are much better.
Nigel1505
Posts: 409
Joined: 10 Jun 2010, 08:24
Gender: Male

Re: Vauxhall combo vans

Post by Nigel1505 »

Thanks Norfolker for the reply. Now I know i'm not the only one to suffer. :wave
robbertwhitton
Posts: 1132
Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
Gender: Male

Re: Vauxhall combo vans

Post by robbertwhitton »

Ditto! its a bit if a drop in and out i have to say,even better landing on bear metal on a worn out seat which was eventually relpaced,god how they look after us??
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Re: Vauxhall combo vans

Post by DB1100 »

I think it's a lot worse for the passenger,try getting out of the thing when the driver parks next to a high kerb,or even a normal kerb,feckin things.
For we were soldiers once,and young
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Vauxhall combo vans

Post by Lounge Lizard »

Not many driving Combo vans will not have had such a problem. :sad:
dazzer79
Posts: 25
Joined: 28 Aug 2007, 13:08

Re: Vauxhall combo vans

Post by dazzer79 »

I myself had a massive problem with the combo van,I was off work for 3 weeks with a really bad back ...lower right side.i went back to work on light duties for 4 more weeks and in between had physio which was made available through atos.all due to the very low seat of this van .i did a rural delivery and was in and out all the time ,dragging myself out of the van instead of stepping out.atos told Royal Mail that I should never drive that type of van again,which I have in writing in my records . Horrendous van!!! Royal Mail get RID !!!
freelunch
Posts: 358
Joined: 14 Oct 2012, 20:39
Gender: Male

Re: Vauxhall combo vans

Post by freelunch »

Each Christmas those on afternoon parcel delivery duties will typically come in earlier and earlier each day to sign out the hire vans.
No-one wants to use the combi vans back from park n loop shifts. The various seasonally rented vans have their own annoyances
but at least they're not hazardous to health.
"Everybody has a plan.. until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson
Spedley
Posts: 1209
Joined: 16 Jul 2007, 17:32
Location: Warwickshire

Re: Vauxhall combo vans

Post by Spedley »

I must have spent 30 mins trying to work out how to raise the seat only to come to the conclusion it wasn't possible.
pgtips
Posts: 51
Joined: 07 Jun 2011, 16:24
Gender: Male

Re: Vauxhall combo vans

Post by pgtips »

Spedley wrote:I must have spent 30 mins trying to work out how to raise the seat only to come to the conclusion it wasn't possible.
The drivers seat is height adjustable-just pull on the lever at the front left of the seat ( lift your bum up as you pull up on the lever) & t will raise up :thumbup but still doesnt alter the fact this so called van is basically a car with a box on the back so still low to the ground lol
Nigel1505
Posts: 409
Joined: 10 Jun 2010, 08:24
Gender: Male

Re: Vauxhall combo vans

Post by Nigel1505 »

Thanks for replies everyone. Thinking of investigating this through legal channels to see if I have a claim re. H & S and Duty of Care at work, as it is a well known fact they are lethal vans and the replies on here have reinforced this view. :thumbup
GT750rider
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 216
Joined: 25 Nov 2011, 16:57
Gender: Male

Re: Vauxhall combo vans

Post by GT750rider »

Van seats have always been a problem, especially those vans used on rurals. I suffered a prolapsed disc years ago. I put it down to the driver's seat missing most of its foam on the right side, the part that you slide in and out of, 200 + times a day. After I got back to work ( after 2 months and plenty of visits to the physiotherapist ) I became quite a nuisance, as I used to log off any van I was asked to use that had a dodgy seat. I still get the odd twinge ( in my back..... ) now and again, 25 years later.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Vauxhall combo vans

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Really feel for you tall guys....I'm only 5 ft and a fag end but find the Combi vans a pain. I know several 6ft plus guys that have left the business after their backs were wrecked by these bloody low vans! :mad Wish they'd take RM to a H&S tribuneral to get some Compo, because they're knackered for life! :arrrghhh

Nearby Office received one of the new Bipper vans, which I've used and think are great because you can just swing your legs over and stand up, and guess who they gave it too? Yep the shortest guy in the office..... Ha Bloody Ha. :arrrghhh
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: Vauxhall combo vans

Post by arnold cheshire »

vauxhall combo pre 2012 will be an older type of vehicle not like the new peugeout and fiat which are now identical to the NEW combos
pgtips
Posts: 51
Joined: 07 Jun 2011, 16:24
Gender: Male

Re: Vauxhall combo vans

Post by pgtips »

bringon4dayweeks wrote:vauxhall combo pre 2012 will be an older type of vehicle not like the new peugeout and fiat which are now identical to the NEW combos
The pre 2012 vauxhall combo van is basically a corsa car front end with a box on the back lol but the peugeot partner & fiat doblo (who vauxhall bought from & re-badged them vauxhall combo) are proper vans so can just step in/out :nana only problem being fcuking about with a forced DPF regeneration cycle every 100 miles or so :mad