Hi All, Does anyone know why some of the RM containers are called Yorks? and "alts"? Just curious.
Pete.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Yorks? alts?
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Yorks? alts?
In my office:petekins wrote:Hi All, Does anyone know why some of the RM containers are called Yorks? and "alts"? Just curious.
Pete.
Yorks are

ALT = Automatic leveling trolley are

Shrouds are:

Mini shrouds: (what the woman is pushing)

All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
petekins
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 5
- Joined: 17 Oct 2014, 22:46
- Gender: Male
Re: Yorks? alts?
Thanks TBT for that. Now I know why an Alt is an Alt!
But why are Yorks called Yorks? Did they originate at York MC or what?
Pete.
But why are Yorks called Yorks? Did they originate at York MC or what?
Pete.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Yorks? alts?
I don't think anyone knows for certain, but thats the accepted version I think.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
P13
- Posts: 1016
- Joined: 11 Oct 2007, 14:35
- Gender: Male
Re: Yorks? alts?
You are correct , they were trialled in Yorkpetekins wrote:Thanks TBT for that. Now I know why an Alt is an Alt!
But why are Yorks called Yorks? Did they originate at York MC or what?
Pete.
-
petekins
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 5
- Joined: 17 Oct 2014, 22:46
- Gender: Male
Re: Yorks? alts?
Cheers P13, now I know! Seemed like the logical explanation.
Pete.
Pete.
-
Craig_Fairbrass
- Posts: 36
- Joined: 13 Feb 2014, 11:26
- Gender: Male
Re: Yorks? alts?
We call shrouds, Sleeves, in our office. Does anyone still use coffins?!
-
saddlerposty
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 248
- Joined: 08 Mar 2010, 18:20
- Gender: Male
Re: Yorks? alts?
Dracula ?
-
eastie
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2234
- Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
- Gender: Male
Re: Yorks? alts?
We have coffins in ours for parcels
-
Jpro747
- Posts: 1342
- Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
- Gender: Male
Re: Yorks? alts?
We were forced to replace our coffins by mini shrouds after the revision, made things 10x worseeastie wrote:We have coffins in ours for parcels
-
Altrider
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 81
- Joined: 12 Feb 2013, 17:29
- Gender: Male
Re: Yorks? alts?
We still have a few coffins left - much sought after in the mornings as DO is too effing small for yorks forced upon us Access from office to yard via parked vans means following the walkway between vans - -a gap which was created for coffins. Naturally this narrow gap remains
.
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Yorks? alts?
We still use coffins inside the DO, I use 6 every day when I'm preparing the SDs. They aren't allowed outside the building because they don't have a braking system. We use them to seg tracked, redeliveries - oh all sorts of odds and sods jobs - there's about 15 or 20 left.