ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

What's The Hardest Type of Delivery?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Tuffers1875
Posts: 146
Joined: 14 Nov 2012, 15:27
Gender: Male

What's The Hardest Type of Delivery?

Post by Tuffers1875 »

Rural, van share or HCT?

I vote HCT. Done one for all of the 3 days I was in this week. Sweating like a pig, sore feet, knackered knee flared up after feeling ok for ages, feeling totally fooked when getting home, plus there's the embarrassment of walking along pushing the bloody thing. I tend to look in bushes as I push it as to not catch anyone's eye as I feel they might be laughing at me.
The_Wax_Man
Posts: 191
Joined: 11 Nov 2011, 14:18
Gender: Male

Re: What's The Hardest Type of Delivery?

Post by The_Wax_Man »

No-ones laughing at you - They are probably thinking 'poor bugger' pushing that around.
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Re: What's The Hardest Type of Delivery?

Post by aiden01 »

Tuffers1875 wrote:Rural, van share or HCT?

I vote HCT. Done one for all of the 3 days I was in this week. Sweating like a pig, sore feet, knackered knee flared up after feeling ok for ages, feeling totally fooked when getting home, plus there's the embarrassment of walking along pushing the bloody thing. I tend to look in bushes as I push it as to not catch anyone's eye as I feel they might be laughing at me.
THEY just want their mail they could,nt give a toss what you,re dressed like :Very Happy
Rumple
Posts: 429
Joined: 20 Nov 2013, 10:45
Gender: Male

Re: What's The Hardest Type of Delivery?

Post by Rumple »

Tuffers1875 wrote:I tend to look in bushes as I push it as to not catch anyone's eye as I feel they might be laughing at me.
It appears you have a confidence problem.
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Re: What's The Hardest Type of Delivery?

Post by greengiant »

Is that a MK1 or MK2 HCT?

I've used both, the MK1 is like pushing a broken down Dalek! :mad
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: What's The Hardest Type of Delivery?

Post by krussel »

Pushing the trolley complex soon fades. :Very Happy

Esp when your walking around in the pouring rain. :left:

Hardest delivery method. I think that depends on your park and loop partner. If you both get on and work at the same speed then it can be great company on the way around. However in my office there has been plenty of clashes due to working pace.

The HCT is prob harder as you have to push it to the start and then back again but you are out on your own.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
joeyuk
Posts: 93
Joined: 10 Jul 2013, 13:24
Gender: Male

Re: What's The Hardest Type of Delivery?

Post by joeyuk »

I liked the HCT duty i used to cover but now its meant to be a right pig. Ive got my own duty on van share which is pretty good, im the walker so have the big loops. Don't have a partner right now so depends who i get stuck with. The current guy is good and we tend to get back at the same time. Been out with a bloke who is just coming back after rehab, he's a non driver so he did my half (which is harder!). I ended up taking all his parcels and about 20% of some of his loops as he was struggling, didn't mind as he is a nice chap but i was knackered by the end of that shift
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Re: What's The Hardest Type of Delivery?

Post by DB1100 »

I vote van share,nightmare trying to get all the crap into a combi,trying to work out of the side door when parked next to a high curb,getting back to the van after doing your loop in the rain to find the driver sheltering in the van rather than doing the big packets.
For we were soldiers once,and young
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

Re: What's The Hardest Type of Delivery?

Post by datasaint »

The hardest type of delivery is the one on overtime that you don't know, it's pitch black outside and pissing down with rain, and the PDA is 5 minutes away from dying. Yes I've been there. :nana
on_the_way_OUT
Posts: 56
Joined: 16 May 2014, 15:52
Gender: Male

Re: What's The Hardest Type of Delivery?

Post by on_the_way_OUT »

Tuffers1875 wrote:Rural, van share or HCT?
Never done a rural so can't comment on that but it's hard to say.

When I do an HCT round I bundle it so I take only small bundles and loop back to the HCT only moving the HCT to get to another section. Problem I've found with Van Share is that the van drivers park the van to suit themselves meaning their partners having to do much more dead walking or carrying much heavier bags.

to me the it's all much of a muchness
saddlerposty
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 248
Joined: 08 Mar 2010, 18:20
Gender: Male

Re: What's The Hardest Type of Delivery?

Post by saddlerposty »

aiden01 wrote:
Tuffers1875 wrote:Rural, van share or HCT?

I vote HCT. Done one for all of the 3 days I was in this week. Sweating like a pig, sore feet, knackered knee flared up after feeling ok for ages, feeling totally fooked when getting home, plus there's the embarrassment of walking along pushing the bloody thing. I tend to look in bushes as I push it as to not catch anyone's eye as I feel they might be laughing at me.
THEY just want their mail they could,nt give a toss what you,re dressed like :Very Happy
why not dress as a santa, decorate your trolley with tinsel n lights, maybe even a little tree, or some speakers blasting out carols as you go along, ......then people would look at you. :dance
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Re: What's The Hardest Type of Delivery?

Post by DB1100 »

saddlerposty wrote:
aiden01 wrote:
Tuffers1875 wrote:Rural, van share or HCT?

I vote HCT. Done one for all of the 3 days I was in this week. Sweating like a pig, sore feet, knackered knee flared up after feeling ok for ages, feeling totally fooked when getting home, plus there's the embarrassment of walking along pushing the bloody thing. I tend to look in bushes as I push it as to not catch anyone's eye as I feel they might be laughing at me.
THEY just want their mail they could,nt give a toss what you,re dressed like :Very Happy
why not dress as a santa, decorate your trolley with tinsel n lights, maybe even a little tree, or some speakers blasting out carols as you go along, ......then people would look at you. :dance
Or cover it in black and nasty,wear a black robe,carry a scythe and shout bring out your dead.
For we were soldiers once,and young
Jpro747
Posts: 1342
Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
Gender: Male

Re: What's The Hardest Type of Delivery?

Post by Jpro747 »

Depends on how big they are! I've been on some rurals that go on and on, but also been on some pretty chill HCT rounds.
daveyeff
Posts: 4699
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
Gender: Male

Re: What's The Hardest Type of Delivery?

Post by daveyeff »

The_Wax_Man wrote:No-ones laughing at you - They are probably thinking 'poor bugger' pushing that around.
you do feel a bit of a twat like, and then there's the schoolkids asking you for a 99 with a flake and monkeys blood. :Very Happy
Timelord
Posts: 143
Joined: 28 Aug 2008, 17:17
Gender: Female
Location: Gallifrey

Re: What's The Hardest Type of Delivery?

Post by Timelord »

daveyeff wrote:
The_Wax_Man wrote:No-ones laughing at you - They are probably thinking 'poor bugger' pushing that around.
you do feel a bit of a twat like, and then there's the schoolkids asking you for a 99 with a flake and monkeys blood. :Very Happy
You soon get over feeling a twat, but yes there are plenty of comments.... same ones over and over and you have to chuckle like you never heard it before.....people asking 'can I hop on and have a lift?' 'how many babies have you got in there then ?' 'you need a motor on that'. worst of all there's the narrow bit of pavement and two people side by side coming towards you who have clearly looked at you approaching but leave it till the last minute for one of them to step behind to make way, worse still, don't make way and you end up half off the pavement to make way for them.
'I tolerate this century but I don't enjoy it'
The Doctor in 'An Unearthly Child'

A species set on endless growth is.... UNSUSTAINABLE