ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Enforced meal breaks

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
paranoid-android
Posts: 106
Joined: 24 Feb 2010, 09:17
Gender: Male

Enforced meal breaks

Post by paranoid-android »

Can the business force you to take a 20 min meal break less than two hours after starting your duty?
kirstyx
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 147
Joined: 24 Jul 2012, 16:45
Gender: Female

Re: Enforced meal breaks

Post by kirstyx »

in the 2 years ive been with the company they have tried twice, lat time even bgoing so far to say that we werent allowed to leave the office til we had taken 20 mins. suffice it say neither time it lasted long i prefer to take my break when pick up my bags as i have a hct round and its exactly halfway through my delivery. on our sign in sheets its got a slot to input how much of a break was taken before leaving the office but i dont know if its enforceable
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: Enforced meal breaks

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

paranoid-android wrote:Can the business force you to take a 20 min meal break less than two hours after starting your duty?

Legally yes
NWpostie
Posts: 3620
Joined: 04 Aug 2007, 17:32
Gender: Male
Location: Sector 001 Borg Collective, 6 o f 9

Re: Enforced meal breaks

Post by NWpostie »

You SHOULD take your full entitled meal break, its there for a reason to have a rest before going out on delivery, if you cut that out Royal Mail will only load you with an extra 45 minutes of work with no break.
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
Brainache
Posts: 394
Joined: 30 Jul 2010, 21:37
Gender: Male

Re: Enforced meal breaks

Post by Brainache »

Does a 10 minute `grace break` still exist ? or does it come out of your m/r. (I dont mean in legal terms -but in RM agreements).
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Enforced meal breaks

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Brains wrote:Does a 10 minute `grace break` still exist ? or does it come out of your m/r. (I dont mean in legal terms -but in RM agreements).
yes it still exists, but you can't plan it.

http://www.cwu.org/assets/_files/docume ... cument.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
grace break.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
eldritch1987
Posts: 18
Joined: 14 Oct 2008, 21:25
Gender: Male

Re: Enforced meal breaks

Post by eldritch1987 »

From http://www.gov.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -

2. Taking breaks

Employers can say when employees take rest breaks during work time as long as:

the break is taken in one go somewhere in the middle of the day (not at the beginning or end)
workers are allowed to spend it away from their desk or workstation (ie away from where they actually work)

It doesn’t count as a rest break if an employer says an employee should go back to work before their break is finished.

Unless a worker’s employment contract says so, they don’t have the right to:

take smoking breaks
get paid for rest breaks
daveyeff
Posts: 4699
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
Gender: Male

Re: Enforced meal breaks

Post by daveyeff »

paranoid-android wrote:Can the business force you to take a 20 min meal break less than two hours after starting your duty?
my driver starts at 8.10 and has his break at 9.10 with the rest of us.
Timelord
Posts: 143
Joined: 28 Aug 2008, 17:17
Gender: Female
Location: Gallifrey

Re: Enforced meal breaks

Post by Timelord »

It's madness having a break when you don't need one. I start at 7.15 and go out about 9 and I don't need half hour break, but half way through my HCT round I'm ready to stop for a while, so I now have just 15 mins before I go out, and 15 mins while i'm out when I'm ready. I cant see the harm and my manager don't mind.
'I tolerate this century but I don't enjoy it'
The Doctor in 'An Unearthly Child'

A species set on endless growth is.... UNSUSTAINABLE
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Enforced meal breaks

Post by fishtank »

Timelord wrote:I cant see the harm and my manager don't mind.
You're not the problem, It's the dickheads that don't take any break that are the problem, That's why some offices enforce breaks before leaving the office, It's the only way they can make sure some members take a break at all.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: Enforced meal breaks

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

Timelord wrote:It's madness having a break when you don't need one. I start at 7.15 and go out about 9 and I don't need half hour break, but half way through my HCT round I'm ready to stop for a while, so I now have just 15 mins before I go out, and 15 mins while i'm out when I'm ready. I cant see the harm and my manager don't mind.

Just so you are aware if your shift length is over 6 hours then one of the breaks should be 20 min long
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Re: Enforced meal breaks

Post by NewPostieUK »

daveyeff wrote:
paranoid-android wrote:Can the business force you to take a 20 min meal break less than two hours after starting your duty?
my driver starts at 8.10 and has his break at 9.10 with the rest of us.
I start at 9:30 and am meant to leave the office at 10:15 having finished prep, done redirections, packets, kill offs, pack bags, pack van and do van checks, and having had a 20 minute break!

:crazy:
piranha
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 496
Joined: 01 Aug 2007, 09:30
Gender: Male

Re: Enforced meal breaks

Post by piranha »

fishtank wrote:
Timelord wrote:I cant see the harm and my manager don't mind.
You're not the problem, It's the dickheads that don't take any break that are the problem, That's why some offices enforce breaks before leaving the office, It's the only way they can make sure some members take a break at all.
And those same diskheads are usually the ones who come in half an hour early and can't seem to grasp the concept they are ruining the job for everyone else.