ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Unfair Treatment?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
walkin4/4time
Posts: 5
Joined: 14 May 2012, 23:43
Gender: Male

Unfair Treatment?

Post by walkin4/4time »

My manager tells me that there is a local agreement in our office to flex across the week. I.e. if you work 1hr over on a Mon and get back 1 hour early on a Sat you don't get paid.
I only work 24hrs a week over 4 days.
My shifts change daily/weekly
Week 1 Collections Mon 12.00pm - 20.00 =8 hrs
Tues 14.30 - 19.30 = 5hrs
Wed 14.30 - 19.30 = 5hrs
Thurs 14.30 - 19.30 = 5 hrs
Total 23hrs
My manager knows that with traffic I will work over so the hour short covers most of this overtime.

Week 2 Delivery Wed 8.30 - 14.30 = 6hrs
Thurs 8.30- 14.30 = 6hrs
Fri 8.30 - 14.30 =6hrs
Sat 8.30 - 14.30 =6hrs

This is currently my week and Wed, Thurs I have already worked 4hrs overtime! He puts me on a duty where someone throws off the mail till I arrive then I finish off. The duty is attached to a Family Friendly entilement where by the guy I work with has to be picked up from home/met in the street so I have to throw off 2 frames then bag up, load into the van, call him on my phone to arrange pick up /meet. All other frames in the office are at least pulled by one person so ultimately they leave the office long before I do hence the late finish.

Week 3 Collections Mon 12.00 - 20.00 = 8 hrs
Tues 14.30 - 19.30 = 5hrs
Fri 0830 - 14.30 = 6hrs
Sat 0930 - 14.30 = 5 hrs

Week 4 Mon 0930 - 14.30 = 5hrs
Tues 0930 - 14.30 = 5hrs
Fri 0630 - 14.30 = 8hrs
Sat 0830 - 14.30 = 6hrs
My office is small and there are two other people who have 24hr contracts but they get their hours spread over 3 days with the same time start and finish times eveyday!
I have fallen out with my boss previously and he has a reputation for being vindictive.
I only have one car and I have to share with the wife and he knows that different times are awkward for me. Getting home at 8 o clock at night and having to sart cooking another meal because your wife has already cooked and washed up doesn't make for a happy existence.
Am I being victimized or does this sound fair?
walkin4/4timeOnline Posts: 3Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 11:43 pm
Luke Skywalker
Posts: 33
Joined: 23 Jan 2013, 20:59
Gender: Male

Re: Unfair Treatment?

Post by Luke Skywalker »

Unless you have personally agreed to flex I don't think they can force you. Check with rep if in cwu about this local agreement I think it is prob manager talking crap and saving pennies.
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: Unfair Treatment?

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

Ask for a copy of the duty 318s and simply work to the times exactly on them, don't go over a single minute on any day and make sure you follow the correct cutting off procedure
happymackem
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 304
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 19:02
Gender: Male
Location: in the land of the mackems

Re: Unfair Treatment?

Post by happymackem »

no 318s written down anywhere in our office not seen one in years
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: Unfair Treatment?

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

happymackem wrote:no 318s written down anywhere in our office not seen one in years

All 318 were reproduced as part of your office revision process the revision was not allowed to be signed off unless they were done
Mezza
Posts: 405
Joined: 14 Sep 2007, 21:56
Location: West London

Re: Unfair Treatment?

Post by Mezza »

Whilst the duties in my office have set start and finish times, everything in between is listed 'As directed'. This obviously covers up a multitude of sins.
If you query it the DOM just says it's so we can utilise staff in the best possible way in relation to that days workload.
happymackem
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 304
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 19:02
Gender: Male
Location: in the land of the mackems

Re: Unfair Treatment?

Post by happymackem »

zx135 wrote:
happymackem wrote:no 318s written down anywhere in our office not seen one in years

All 318 were reproduced as part of your office revision process the revision was not allowed to be signed off unless they were done
must be a secret then and locked away cos never seen one since the 70s :shock:
Hitcher
Posts: 1530
Joined: 20 Sep 2009, 09:59
Gender: Male

Re: Unfair Treatment?

Post by Hitcher »

zx135 wrote:
happymackem wrote:no 318s written down anywhere in our office not seen one in years

All 318 were reproduced as part of your office revision process the revision was not allowed to be signed off unless they were done
:chuckle
Glenno
Posts: 1491
Joined: 05 Jun 2007, 13:12

Re: Unfair Treatment?

Post by Glenno »

zx135 wrote:
happymackem wrote:no 318s written down anywhere in our office not seen one in years

All 318 were reproduced as part of your office revision process the revision was not allowed to be signed off unless they were done
Usually found in the Walk-log :wave :wave