ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Footwear
-
Wanderer93
- Posts: 8
- Joined: 02 Apr 2014, 10:28
- Gender: Male
Footwear
Hi there anyone got advice on footwear had the yds and now trying cat boots two of the most uncomfy shoes ever , been wearing my own trainers but know am not covered for accidents, anyone recomened a waterproof shoe or boot that either royal mail provide or are accepted by royal mail ? I know the pay an amount to you if you buy your own
Cheers
Cheers
-
Himaggen
- Posts: 993
- Joined: 09 Oct 2007, 23:40
Re: Footwear
The footwear is provided as uniform only and must be provided and worn unless you have an exemption such as a doctors note. The footwear you are provided is occupational NOT SAFETY, any Manager or Safety personnel telling you you are are not covered for accidents is either misinformed or a liar.
-
brykins
- Posts: 44
- Joined: 14 Dec 2010, 14:33
- Gender: Male
Re: Footwear
I only ever get the Doc Martens boots via Royal Mail. Trainers make my feet ache after an hour and all the other footwear wears out after a month. My DMs last me at least three months if not four, and although they DO take a week to break in, they are the comfiest thing I have found.
-
Wanderer93
- Posts: 8
- Joined: 02 Apr 2014, 10:28
- Gender: Male
Re: Footwear
Thank guys i was lead to believe that if i tripped or sliipes for example whilst wearig my own footwear i wouldnt be covered? Might just go for a pair of ones from the local hiking store then, any advice on how you claim the money for buying your own footwear? Got a doctors bote due to the state the yds trainers left my feet in
-
Himaggen
- Posts: 993
- Joined: 09 Oct 2007, 23:40
Re: Footwear
Your Doctors note will be able to verify that you have a medical issue, however your Doctor is not privvy to all of the models of footwear on offer.
The process should really be an OH referral based upon your Doctors advice. They should be able to determine the relationship betwen your condition and your job using what is offered by the employer. If they agree that the footwear provided by your employer is inadequate for you even with the possible use of inserts etc. then you will be provided through that process with £30 towards an adequate pair of footwear.
Your Manager should however determine whether the soles and uppers of your chosen footwear will suffice for the working environment.
The process should really be an OH referral based upon your Doctors advice. They should be able to determine the relationship betwen your condition and your job using what is offered by the employer. If they agree that the footwear provided by your employer is inadequate for you even with the possible use of inserts etc. then you will be provided through that process with £30 towards an adequate pair of footwear.
Your Manager should however determine whether the soles and uppers of your chosen footwear will suffice for the working environment.
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Footwear
Right, the old Cat trainers were very soft, lightweight and comfortable but wore out in 3 months, and when they wore down you had about 3mm between your front sole and the pavement so it was almost like walking with bare feet on the beach.
So now I have the Anvils, as someone stated 'like clogs' they took 2 weeks to break in, are very heavy and uncomfortable though will last far longer. I have the YDS already in my garage pre-ordered to try next - I hope they are lighter and more comfortable than the clogs...
So now I have the Anvils, as someone stated 'like clogs' they took 2 weeks to break in, are very heavy and uncomfortable though will last far longer. I have the YDS already in my garage pre-ordered to try next - I hope they are lighter and more comfortable than the clogs...
-
enskied
- Posts: 1877
- Joined: 16 Aug 2013, 17:14
- Gender: Male
Re: Footwear
Too true,Himaggen wrote:The footwear is provided as uniform only and must be provided and worn unless you have an exemption such as a doctors note. The footwear you are provided is occupational NOT SAFETY, any Manager or Safety personnel telling you you are are not covered for accidents is either misinformed or a liar.
We had a case in our office a few years back. RM were saying Postie was not covered after a trip. postie used own solicitor and was paid in full. The footwear must be adequate for the job and of a similar spec or higher than those provided.
I myself got Docs cert due to disc problems in my back. RM shoes don't have enough shock absorption in the heels. Back is loads better for the change.
-
Harv12
- Posts: 158
- Joined: 12 Nov 2013, 18:25
- Gender: Male
Re: Footwear
out of all the shoes we have been given over the 15 year's iv worked for royal fail, iv got to say i love the YDS trainer/shoes handsdown, comfy and waterproof.
-
DGP1
- Posts: 15551
- Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
- Gender: Male
- Location: Terminus
Re: Footwear
Try the YDS shoes, much better than the Anvils.
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
-
dados
- Posts: 399
- Joined: 04 Sep 2009, 16:33
- Gender: Male
- Location: leading the 5th column
Re: Footwear
Am ex military,bought my own boots then,do now,had the new trainers on for 2 days before I slipped on a drive,did my elbow in & lost a finger nail,now have my own winter gortex boots & gortex trainers cost a few pounds but I know I am safe & my feet will be dry & comfortable
Ongoing enquiry has tried a number of times to get me to admit it was my fault or RM will have to withdraw all of this type,been through the informal "let's have a chat" DOM interview,Stage 1 blah blah blah
Ongoing enquiry has tried a number of times to get me to admit it was my fault or RM will have to withdraw all of this type,been through the informal "let's have a chat" DOM interview,Stage 1 blah blah blah
Art as expression
Not as market campaigns
Will still capture our imaginations
Not as market campaigns
Will still capture our imaginations
-
ratchet
- Posts: 210
- Joined: 03 Dec 2012, 13:12
- Gender: Male
- Location: Buggered off to France
Re: Footwear
Should you have another accident whilst wearing your own boots, RM will probably try to use that against youdados wrote:Am ex military,bought my own boots then,do now,had the new trainers on for 2 days before I slipped on a drive,did my elbow in & lost a finger nail,now have my own winter gortex boots & gortex trainers cost a few pounds but I know I am safe & my feet will be dry & comfortable
Ongoing enquiry has tried a number of times to get me to admit it was my fault or RM will have to withdraw all of this type,been through the informal "let's have a chat" DOM interview,Stage 1 blah blah blah
I'd love to give them a try, stock was due in the middle of October................... but still isn't availableDGP1 wrote:Try the YDS shoes, much better than the Anvils.
I am no longer a number :-)
-
GT85
- Posts: 365
- Joined: 26 Nov 2013, 20:02
- Gender: Male
- Location: ASDO
Re: Footwear
It would be good if the YDS trainers came in half sizes as once I've replaced the rubbish insoles with something a bit better they come up a bit tight. I think a full size bigger maybe too much.
We're all here because we're not all there
-
Jono
- Posts: 35
- Joined: 10 Apr 2011, 14:04
- Gender: Male
Re: Footwear
I'll second that - tried them all and the YDS (albeit a little heavier than other footwear) are greatHarv12 wrote:out of all the shoes we have been given over the 15 year's iv worked for royal fail, iv got to say i love the YDS trainer/shoes handsdown, comfy and waterproof.
-
NewPostieUK
- Posts: 2104
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: SickAsAChipLand
Re: Footwear
Same here. The only footwear worth bothering with, but you have to be patient breaking them in or they'll rip your feet to shreds.brykins wrote:I only ever get the Doc Martens boots via Royal Mail. Trainers make my feet ache after an hour and all the other footwear wears out after a month. My DMs last me at least three months if not four, and although they DO take a week to break in, they are the comfiest thing I have found.
I tried the YDS trainers and they were Ok for a few weeks, like slightly harder wearing Cat trainers, with slightly better non-slip properties (although that's not saying much) but then they offer little support and I got aching feet.
At this time of year my priority is non-slip soles, and Dr Martens are by far the best.