ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Scanned box 1 minute early.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

Scanned box 1 minute early.

Post by datasaint »

Scanned a box 1 minute early, didn't see the message until I was back in the van, by which point the time on the scanner was the correct time, so I clicked yes to proceed. Obviously I now know from my manager this was wrong and the box failed.

At the end of the collection I rescanned the route, and went back to the box that failed and rescanned it. Will it still be a fail?

Found this post, can somebody explain what's the ABC gun?
Oh and by the way .... the ABC scanner can be used again if your early on a box or firm or post office, all you have to do is go to the next point of collection, scan that and then go back to the last one you scanned early...in the words of the mercat "smipples"
http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 53#p225783" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cheers :thumbup
apple
Posts: 496
Joined: 03 Dec 2007, 17:13
Gender: Male
Location: Pluto

Re: Scanned box 1 minute early.

Post by apple »

easiest thing would to use the adhoc function on the PDA then scan the box at the right time or later, no need to scan the whole route, just tell the boss when your back that you had an early and that you realised and did a adhoc scan at the right time to prove you were doing things right. this is what we do here and not been a problem but no doubt someone will tell you not to do that, wouldn't think we all worked for the same firm
Glenno
Posts: 1491
Joined: 05 Jun 2007, 13:12

Re: Scanned box 1 minute early.

Post by Glenno »

norm wrote:Scanned a box 1 minute early, didn't see the message until I was back in the van, by which point the time on the scanner was the correct time, so I clicked yes to proceed. Obviously I now know from my manager this was wrong and the box failed.

At the end of the collection I rescanned the route, and went back to the box that failed and rescanned it. Will it still be a fail?

Found this post, can somebody explain what's the ABC gun?
Oh and by the way .... the ABC scanner can be used again if your early on a box or firm or post office, all you have to do is go to the next point of collection, scan that and then go back to the last one you scanned early...in the words of the mercat "smipples"
http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 53#p225783" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cheers :thumbup[/quote
OMG you had time to rescan your whole collection or S/A in your duty time??
by scanning again proves that you realised your mistake, next time as mentioned use the "ad-hoc" facility :wave :wave
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

Re: Scanned box 1 minute early.

Post by datasaint »

Glenno wrote:
OMG you had time to rescan your whole collection or S/A in your duty time??
by scanning again proves that you realised your mistake, next time as mentioned use the "ad-hoc" facility :wave :wave
By rescan the route I meant load the route back into the PDA. I was told even if you rescanned the early box it still goes down as a failure?
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: Scanned box 1 minute early.

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

norm wrote:
Glenno wrote:
OMG you had time to rescan your whole collection or S/A in your duty time??
by scanning again proves that you realised your mistake, next time as mentioned use the "ad-hoc" facility :wave :wave
By rescan the route I meant load the route back into the PDA. I was told even if you rescanned the early box it still goes down as a failure?

Yeah even after re scanning it later it still shows as a failure, the old scanners were called ABC scanners those ones you could rescan if you did it early. You can't now with the pdas
Tuffers1875
Posts: 146
Joined: 14 Nov 2012, 15:27
Gender: Male

Re: Scanned box 1 minute early.

Post by Tuffers1875 »

I did a collection last Saturday on ad-hoc. Six boxes failed to go through so I was told on the following Monday. I know I emptied every box and I was meh when challenged about it. Give us crap equipment........
Mr_Pink
Posts: 163
Joined: 14 Jun 2013, 22:09
Gender: Male

Re: Scanned box 1 minute early.

Post by Mr_Pink »

zx135 wrote:
norm wrote:
Glenno wrote:
OMG you had time to rescan your whole collection or S/A in your duty time??
by scanning again proves that you realised your mistake, next time as mentioned use the "ad-hoc" facility :wave :wave
By rescan the route I meant load the route back into the PDA. I was told even if you rescanned the early box it still goes down as a failure?

Yeah even after re scanning it later it still shows as a failure, the old scanners were called ABC scanners those ones you could rescan if you did it early. You can't now with the pdas
The old optiscan were a pain if you forgot to scan a box or scanned early without noticing, you had to wait till back at the office and check the CDM to see which one was missed/early, although a few at our place would do it accidentally on purpose to get out of UTR work. They were a much more convenient size though!
Richard007
Posts: 84
Joined: 09 Mar 2010, 20:34
Gender: Male

Re: Scanned box 1 minute early.

Post by Richard007 »

Still a failure I did the same on first call so I reloaded the PDA with route and scanned it again so I thought all would be ok and never thought any more about it until next day called into office for counselling , I just cannot believe this company I had to sign a warning letter , managers hide Mail when suits them especially when WCM audit happens & want office to be clear , they tell staff to take all post mail out on their delivery knowing full well the extra stuff they load onto us just goes for a ride , total joke you could not make it up
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

Re: Scanned box 1 minute early.

Post by datasaint »

Richard007 wrote:Still a failure I did the same on first call so I reloaded the PDA with route and scanned it again so I thought all would be ok and never thought any more about it until next day called into office for counselling , I just cannot believe this company I had to sign a warning letter , managers hide Mail when suits them especially when WCM audit happens & want office to be clear , they tell staff to take all post mail out on their delivery knowing full well the extra stuff they load onto us just goes for a ride , total joke you could not make it up
I wasn't going to mention it, but the same thing happened to me, I thought it was a bit overly severe, at the end of the day a postbox got scanned 1 minute early, no mail was delayed and it got scanned later. :hmmmm

Hands up it was my error, but why does the PDA even offer the option to proceed if it's vitally important not to scan early? There should at least be double stage warning to proceed, as in press yes, then another prompt "are you sure?". As it's entirely possible to inadvertently press the yes button if you are carrying keys/bag/scanner back to the van with this prompt unknowingly on the screen.
apple
Posts: 496
Joined: 03 Dec 2007, 17:13
Gender: Male
Location: Pluto

Re: Scanned box 1 minute early.

Post by apple »

i use the PDA carrier/ holster or whatever it's called so i have hands free all the time like you say with keys mail bag changing tab etc i really don't know how people manage without the holster
oldrope
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 221
Joined: 27 Oct 2007, 16:17
Location: lapland

Re: Scanned box 1 minute early.

Post by oldrope »

norm wrote:Scanned a box 1 minute early, didn't see the message until I was back in the van, by which point the time on the scanner was the correct time, so I clicked yes to proceed. Obviously I now know from my manager this was wrong and the box failed.

At the end of the collection I rescanned the route, and went back to the box that failed and rescanned it. Will it still be a fail?

Found this post, can somebody explain what's the ABC gun?
Oh and by the way .... the ABC scanner can be used again if your early on a box or firm or post office, all you have to do is go to the next point of collection, scan that and then go back to the last one you scanned early...in the words of the mercat "smipples"
http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 53#p225783" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cheers :thumbup


Tell your manager what happend and tell him that you waited until the correct time befor you went to the next box.
The_Wax_Man
Posts: 191
Joined: 11 Nov 2011, 14:18
Gender: Male

Re: Scanned box 1 minute early.

Post by The_Wax_Man »

There is no business case for the current PDA's to have a 'You are early, are you sure you want to scan? YES/NO

If for whatever reason you need to scan a business early, Christmas etc, then use AdHoc - If you do scan a minute or so early by mistake then back it up via an AdHoc within the correct timeframes.

For reference, as long as you have done a AdHoc scan, this in no way affects the USO - your there in time with the customers SLA agreement, you've collected the mail.

what happens is, further up, your early scan gets flagged up in the system, Area Managers and above can see this at a level which pinpoints who did what - what it does not show is the AdHoc scan - It's just shown as a failure. It does not care if the PDA scan whether it's 10 mins or 10 secs early, it just flags as an early.

Which is why people then get kicked up the rear as emails start flying about stating how incompetent you are and how your affecting KPI reports. - That is basically what it does, throws a flag on the KPI report.

This function needs removing from the PDA's as it serves absolute no purpose and no-one has ever been able to provide information/documentation why it is needed.

What SHOULD happen is that the PDA should not let you scan the barcode until it's at the correct time - All of this information is available to the PDA, available to program and available to use. - Any other business requirements - use AdHoc.

If you forget to scan or do not AdHoc, then yes expect a kick up the rear.

If you scan early but then go onto AdHoc at the correct time i.e in this circumstance 1 min later upon realising your mistake then to be honest, nothing can be done, get your rep in there and ask your manager to explain & prove how it's affecting the business in a direct USO manner that requires counselling - they will not be able to as the AdHoc scan you have done to correct it is system recorded also. It does not affect the USO.

It's just used as a measure. - Until the system and PDA's are corrected, then what you are dealing with, is a fallible system with lazy programming. Simple programming to ensure the barcode cannot be scanned until the time it holds can be done easy enough. This would do away with all these issues, remove the need for KPI monitoring and basically save the business a fair bit of money once the process is stripped down as it's not required. - It would also remove any future human error issues.

Failure/Forgetting to scan the barcode in a normal manner will of course remain an issue and is a separate discussion.


:cuppa