ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Why do RM find it so hard to stick to their own Agreements?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
FinishOnTime
Posts: 153
Joined: 25 Apr 2013, 16:37
Gender: Male

Why do RM find it so hard to stick to their own Agreements?

Post by FinishOnTime »

I've been a unit rep for a few months now, and am slowly getting to grips with all the various Agreements, procedures, disagreements and grievances. What I genuinely can't work out is why the CWU sign up to these agreements without checks in place as to deal with local managers who don't think that they apply to them.

In my experience, managers routinely break the terms of the Attendance agreement, the conduct code, and the over running deliveries procedure, and are in fact encouraged to do so by their seniors if it helps to get the job done more quickly or cheaply. So if they're found out, a disagreement or greivance is put in so they stop for a while, but there are never any personal consequences for the manager involved. If a postman repeatedly fails to follow procedure, discipline action is nearly always sure to follow, why is this not the case with managers?
rubberbond
Posts: 1497
Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
Gender: Male

Re: Why do RM find it so hard to stick to their own Agreemen

Post by rubberbond »

Probably because no -one from the CWU ever challenges these things, grievances are ignored, get the mail out, the end justifies the means that is all that matters, morale? What's that? Agreements , yes in principle, in practice? Don't make me laugh, I might vomit.
Bullying and harassment is rife, yet ignored, complain to the helpline and it is downgraded to a grievance and round and round we go. As I said, the agreements are never challenged,the CWU, appear to accept whatever is presented to them, without ever thinking of the consequences,or impact,one need only has to look at the last agreement,or the Sun newspaper debacle, of the summer,for proof, don't blame me, I voted no!
The senior management ,(and management in general in this business,),as stated elsewhere,are poor beyond belief. Look around at your local and area managers and consider how many of them would be managers outside of this organisation,very few I would venture ,too stuck in the old days, been here too long , a fish rots from the head, how apt.
They are too close now, the senior management and the union, it is not healthy,it is almost becoming incestuous,cosy dinners, relations thawing, there's a surprise. Two cheeks of the same arse.
I am not advocating non cooperation with everything,far from it, however a little more scepticism would not go amiss.
Last edited by rubberbond on 26 Oct 2014, 20:35, edited 2 times in total.
Dozen
Posts: 101
Joined: 21 Mar 2013, 18:56
Gender: Male

Re: Why do RM find it so hard to stick to their own Agreemen

Post by Dozen »

I know of a few managers who seem to revel in wearing their grievances like a badge of honor. They think it shows that they run a tight ship, because to them if they're not pissing a few posties off, they're obviously not doing their job right. I suspect it's actually encouraged and fostered by managers even more senior up the chain, provided the grievances aren't too serious in nature, they happily turn a blind eye and then pat the manager on the head like a dog that's just gone to fetch their stick. Funny how some of the 'better' managers (ones that get less grievances, and seem to get on with the staff a bit easier), never seem to end up with their own office, and get moved pillar to post from one office to the next doing odd-jobs week in week out. Considering the nature of this greed-obsessed society where you only get anywhere by stabbing people in the back, I guess it hardly comes as a surprise.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Re: Why do RM find it so hard to stick to their own Agreemen

Post by k979aaa »

Bonus culture?
Lincox
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3485
Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
Gender: Male

Re: Why do RM find it so hard to stick to their own Agreemen

Post by Lincox »

FinishOnTime wrote:I've been a unit rep for a few months now, and am slowly getting to grips with all the various Agreements, procedures, disagreements and grievances. What I genuinely can't work out is why the CWU sign up to these agreements without checks in place as to deal with local managers who don't think that they apply to them.

In my experience, managers routinely break the terms of the Attendance agreement, the conduct code, and the over running deliveries procedure, and are in fact encouraged to do so by their seniors if it helps to get the job done more quickly or cheaply. So if they're found out, a disagreement or greivance is put in so they stop for a while, but there are never any personal consequences for the manager involved. If a postman repeatedly fails to follow procedure, discipline action is nearly always sure to follow, why is this not the case with managers?
I would address your concerns to Dingo. He doesn,t seem to think that there is a problem even though he is a regular reader of these threads. I think it is a case that he and his colleagues in the Postal Executive do not want to get off their privileged perch and do the job that the membership pay them a handsome salary to do.
FinishOnTime
Posts: 153
Joined: 25 Apr 2013, 16:37
Gender: Male

Re: Why do RM find it so hard to stick to their own Agreemen

Post by FinishOnTime »

Yeah Lincox, the hierarchy in the union always make a big thing of using the IR framework, and I fully sympathise with their emphasis on keeping RM competitive, but I know of at least one manager who's had loads of allegations against him going back years, and he's still firmly in post. Bad managers do whatever they think they can get away with, without Royal Mail providing consequences for unacceptable behaviour, it's laughable to imagine that local reps can enforce national agreements. It's like trying to keep about 9 plates spinning at once.
P739
Posts: 277
Joined: 20 Sep 2007, 13:48

Re: Why do RM find it so hard to stick to their own Agreemen

Post by P739 »

rubberbond wrote:Probably because no -one from the CWU ever challenges these things, grievances are ignored, get the mail out, the end justifies the means that is all that matters, morale? What's that? Agreements , yes in principle, in practice? Don't make me laugh, I might vomit.
Bullying and harassment is rife, yet ignored, complain to the helpline and it is downgraded to a grievance and round and round we go. As I said, the agreements are never challenged,the CWU, appear to accept whatever is presented to them, without ever thinking of the consequences,or impact,one need only has to look at the last agreement,or the Sun newspaper debacle, of the summer,for proof, don't blame me, I voted no!
The senior management ,(and management in general in this business,),as stated elsewhere,are poor beyond belief. Look around at your local and area managers and consider how many of them would be managers outside of this organisation,very few I would venture ,too stuck in the old days, been here too long , a fish rots from the head, how apt.
They are too close now, the senior management and the union, it is not healthy,it is almost becoming incestuous,cosy dinners, relations thawing, there's a surprise. Two cheeks of the same arse.
I am not advocating non cooperation with everything,far from it, however a little more scepticism would not go amiss.
:Applause :Applause :Applause :Applause