ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Taking Van Home

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
llcoolh
Posts: 129
Joined: 05 Nov 2012, 08:58
Gender: Male

Taking Van Home

Post by llcoolh »

What are the rules regarding taking a van home? I am a part-time collection driver my shift starts in the afternoon.I asked my dom if I could take a van home and my request was rejected. The reason I was given was, as I don't have my own van I use any morning drivers when they finish their shift. Despite the rest of the other guys take van home without any problem. As a part-timer taking a van home would really make big difference for saving the cost of fuel. I do appreciate that, this isn't my dom's problem but it means a lot for me. Me and my colleague who is a part-timer get treated less than full-timers and those called "Seniority" we don't feel we are part of the group. is this fair??/

Rant over....
Last edited by llcoolh on 24 Oct 2014, 21:44, edited 2 times in total.
ebbzie
Posts: 660
Joined: 14 Jun 2011, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Taking Van Home!!

Post by ebbzie »

If someones using the van in the morning , how can you expect to take it home????????
Tuffers1875
Posts: 146
Joined: 14 Nov 2012, 15:27
Gender: Male

Re: Taking Van Home!!

Post by Tuffers1875 »

llcoolh wrote:What are the rules regarding taking van to home? I am a part-time collection driver my shift starts in the afternoon.I asked my dom if I could take a van home and my request was rejected. The reason I was giving is, as I don't have my own van I use morning drivers when they finish their shift. Despite the rest of the other guys take van home without any problem. As a part-timer taking a van home would really make big difference for saving the cost of fuel. I do appreciate that, this isn't my dom's problem but it means a lot for me. Me and my colleague who is a part-timer get treated less than full-timers and those called "Seniority" we don't feel we are part of the group. is this fair??/

Rant over.... Many thanks for any advice

Is there a 'thick' smiley?
llcoolh
Posts: 129
Joined: 05 Nov 2012, 08:58
Gender: Male

Re: Taking Van Home!!

Post by llcoolh »

Tuffers1875 wrote:
llcoolh wrote:What are the rules regarding taking van to home? I am a part-time collection driver my shift starts in the afternoon.I asked my dom if I could take a van home and my request was rejected. The reason I was giving is, as I don't have my own van I use morning drivers when they finish their shift. Despite the rest of the other guys take van home without any problem. As a part-timer taking a van home would really make big difference for saving the cost of fuel. I do appreciate that, this isn't my dom's problem but it means a lot for me. Me and my colleague who is a part-timer get treated less than full-timers and those called "Seniority" we don't feel we are part of the group. is this fair??/

Rant over.... Many thanks for any advice

Is there a 'thick' smiley?
Lol. nice one from a troll... I am not offended by trolls, I expect it always...haha
Last edited by llcoolh on 24 Oct 2014, 21:33, edited 2 times in total.
llcoolh
Posts: 129
Joined: 05 Nov 2012, 08:58
Gender: Male

Re: Taking Van Home!!

Post by llcoolh »

ebbzie wrote:If someones using the van in the morning , how can you expect to take it home????????

Good question, what I am trying to say is their is spare vans for collections so I could have one innit :wink:
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Re: Taking Van Home!!

Post by aiden01 »

llcoolh wrote:
Tuffers1875 wrote:
llcoolh wrote:What are the rules regarding taking van to home? I am a part-time collection driver my shift starts in the afternoon.I asked my dom if I could take a van home and my request was rejected. The reason I was giving is, as I don't have my own van I use morning drivers when they finish their shift. Despite the rest of the other guys take van home without any problem. As a part-timer taking a van home would really make big difference for saving the cost of fuel. I do appreciate that, this isn't my dom's problem but it means a lot for me. Me and my colleague who is a part-timer get treated less than full-timers and those called "Seniority" we don't feel we are part of the group. is this fair??/

Rant over.... Many thanks for any advice

Is there a 'thick' smiley?
Lol. nice one from a troll... I am not offended by trolls, I expect it always...haha
:Very Happy :Very Happy :Very Happy :Very Happy well said llcoolh
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: Taking Van Home

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

Simply the allowing of taking vans home is to be night royal mail. Not the other way round, if it doesn't benefit RM don't expect to be able to take a can home
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Taking Van Home

Post by Lounge Lizard »

zx135 wrote:Simply the allowing of taking vans home is to be night royal mail. Not the other way round, if it doesn't benefit RM don't expect to be able to take a can home
Yes, Royal Mail's offer of Overnight Retention is when they don't have space to park them up at the Delivery Office.
I've willingly taken up such an offer. :nana The savings in petrol can add to quite a tidy sum over the years :thumbup
Lou84
Posts: 162
Joined: 09 May 2012, 21:42
Gender: Female

Re: Taking Van Home

Post by Lou84 »

It's alright until the Dom decides at 14.20 that you can't take the van home when you finish at 14.28 and have no way of getting home ! Happened to me once too often, so gave up the van rentention :-(
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Taking Van Home!!

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Tuffers1875 wrote:
llcoolh wrote:What are the rules regarding taking van to home? I am a part-time collection driver my shift starts in the afternoon.I asked my dom if I could take a van home and my request was rejected. The reason I was giving is, as I don't have my own van I use morning drivers when they finish their shift. Despite the rest of the other guys take van home without any problem. As a part-timer taking a van home would really make big difference for saving the cost of fuel. I do appreciate that, this isn't my dom's problem but it means a lot for me. Me and my colleague who is a part-timer get treated less than full-timers and those called "Seniority" we don't feel we are part of the group. is this fair??/

Rant over.... Many thanks for any advice

Is there a 'thick' smiley?
Why, do want one as an Avatar. At least llcoolh follows the rules :roll:
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Stella102
Posts: 597
Joined: 06 Aug 2011, 19:32
Gender: Male

Re: Taking Van Home

Post by Stella102 »

Does anyone have a copy of the up to date retention policy?
camphill888
Posts: 31
Joined: 21 Feb 2010, 19:06
Gender: Female
Location: West Midlands

Re: Taking Van Home!!

Post by camphill888 »

:Applause :Applause
ebbzie wrote:If someones using the van in the morning , how can you expect to take it home????????
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Taking Van Home

Post by fishtank »

Stella102 wrote:Does anyone have a copy of the up to date retention policy?

http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 16#p294718" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Taking Van Home

Post by Lounge Lizard »

Lou84 wrote:It's alright until the Dom decides at 14.20 that you can't take the van home when you finish at 14.28 and have no way of getting home ! Happened to me once too often, so gave up the van rentention :-(
"no way of getting home" - so you got your head down on a pile of mail bags until the morning ? :mad :cuppa