ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

First week is over!

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
jolly_postman
Posts: 13
Joined: 16 Oct 2014, 15:11
Gender: Female

First week is over!

Post by jolly_postman »

Just finished my first week as a post lady at RM.

My legs ache like hell and my feet feel like bricks but I just about made it :thumbup I had 3 days out with work based coaches (watching on the first day helping deliver on the second and third) then out on my own on Saturday with half of my walk (completed within my time- yay!) then the other half yesterday and then today I was out on my own with the whole walk. A couple of things set me back - Random meeting for all staff, then I don't drive so I have to get other drivers and managers to drop me off (I use the drop boxes) and the guy today couldn't leave til 10.30! It was a heavy day today also with lots of parcels so I think that slowed me down too. I managed to deliver 4 out of the 7 bags on my walk. I had to get home before 3pm as I have a dog and its not fair to leave her any longer than that so I had to leave the other 3 bags. Not sure but I think people might have been peeved at me for not doing OT. What do you guys think? The manager who picked me up just said 'you'll have a bad day tomorrow' and hinted that I might have to deliver the bags I missed PLUS all of tomorrows post. Surely thats coming down a bit hard on a newbie?

Another thing - people keep telling me that my walk is one of the longer / harder ones. Is there anything I can do about this? Do they ever cut down walks if people are struggling?
Stella102
Posts: 597
Joined: 06 Aug 2011, 19:32
Gender: Male

Re: First week is over!

Post by Stella102 »

first things first. Join the union. It is a must.

The hardest thing was getting the job, now all you need to do is relax go in and work until your time or if you want overtime then go over providing your manager is paying this and you want it.
Do not ever feel pressured by management, if you do then see your union rep and get a harassment form - remember overtime is not compulsory no matter what any manager tells you.
Also make sure to take your meal break.

It doesn't matter if you are on the hardest walk in the entire world, when your time is up it is up let the manager manager the rest of the workload that's what they are paid for.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: First week is over!

Post by dvbuk55 »

TBH I don't know how you got the job without a licence, it's more or less an essential now because as you state you are relying on lifts out and lifts back and there are very few non-drivers in a DO now and they are all hereditary from the non-driving days. It would be possible for you to pair up on a P&L which would make it much easier for you.
jolly_postman
Posts: 13
Joined: 16 Oct 2014, 15:11
Gender: Female

Re: First week is over!

Post by jolly_postman »

dvbuk55 wrote:TBH I don't know how you got the job without a licence, it's more or less an essential now because as you state you are relying on lifts out and lifts back and there are very few non-drivers in a DO now and they are all hereditary from the non-driving days. It would be possible for you to pair up on a P&L which would make it much easier for you.
I don't think they use P&L in my DO yet! I was talking to another postie about it this morning... sounds good in theory. Apparently they advertised for a 'Postman/woman without driving' because when they advertised for one with driving only 2 people applied :shock:
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Re: First week is over!

Post by Postie45 »

like Stella said join the union and TAKE YOUR MEAL BREAK ... this may not seem a big deal, but i think its important to get into the habit of taking that break and not working through it as so many do.
As for tomorrow, yes theyll probably have you or someone else prep todays mail back into the frame if they dont get anyone to deliver it today. If it is left for you to prep back into the frame, then itll be interesting to hear what the managers say to you as its likely this will cause you to go out on delivery later and thus get even less delivered. If they dont come and see you, you will need to tell them if you feel you wont be able to complete your duty within your duty time, if they seem to be putting pressure on you then id see the union rep straight away. I hope its the case that the managers have the sense to realise you are new and wont put pressure on you to complete and get someone else to take a portion of your duty on overtime
Good luck !
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: First week is over!

Post by dvbuk55 »

jolly_postman wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:TBH I don't know how you got the job without a licence, it's more or less an essential now because as you state you are relying on lifts out and lifts back and there are very few non-drivers in a DO now and they are all hereditary from the non-driving days. It would be possible for you to pair up on a P&L which would make it much easier for you.
I don't think they use P&L in my DO yet! I was talking to another postie about it this morning... sounds good in theory. Apparently they advertised for a 'Postman/woman without driving' because when they advertised for one with driving only 2 people applied :shock:
Wow there must be plenty of job opportunities where you are jolly, the last time they recruited in my do 60 people applied and if they couldn't drive then the on line application form just closed and they couldn't go any further. Good luck and I hope you get modernised soon because P&L would definitely make it easier for you.
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: First week is over!

Post by krussel »

One thing which is very important is to tell your manager before you go out on the delivery that you are only prepared to work your time. Also remember that your finishing time will include a paid meal break (normally 40 mins) which will need to be deducted from the finish time if you choose not to stop work and take it.

As for the mail left from today that's the managers problem and is why he is paid a £2-3.5k bonus every year. He should make every effort to ensure the work is delivered the same day. This includes delivering some himself.

Thurs tend (in my office) to be about the same or a touch heavier than a Weds. By Fri the packets should be coming back down. You will need to look at how long today's workload took and the time you got out. If your late out again or its heavy you need to tell the Manager BEFORE you go out that you will not get around.

As others have mentioned joining the CWU is good advice and can help you should you need further advice or feel you are coming under pressure to do overtime to complete.

Good luck for the rest of the week. :thumbup
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
jolly_postman
Posts: 13
Joined: 16 Oct 2014, 15:11
Gender: Female

Re: First week is over!

Post by jolly_postman »

krussel wrote: If your late out again or its heavy you need to tell the Manager BEFORE you go out that you will not get around.
Thanks for the advice. I did tell the DOM that it would take me well over my time and he said he'd send someone out to deliver the rest if need be. I don't think they could find anyone.
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32787
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: First week is over!

Post by POSTMAN »

Jolly,your manager is a cock,your rep is a cock,your coach is a cock,your colleagues are cocks,feel free to PM me or Teebs (other admin) for a username change in the not too distance future.

Oh and welcome to RMC.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
OnAFlyer
Posts: 1938
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
Gender: Male

Re: First week is over!

Post by OnAFlyer »

If you're working tomorrow your first week isn't over yet... :sad:
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Re: First week is over!

Post by Postie45 »

OnAFlyer wrote:If you're working tomorrow your first week isn't over yet... :sad:

its never over ...

http://youtu.be/LL6ubXD9ZjY?t=23s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: First week is over!

Post by krussel »

Postie45 wrote:
OnAFlyer wrote:If you're working tomorrow your first week isn't over yet... :sad:

its never over ...

http://youtu.be/LL6ubXD9ZjY?t=23s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LOL that made me crack up. :chuckle
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........