ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Holidays & Saturdays

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Broxi51
Posts: 1154
Joined: 30 Jul 2007, 19:04
Location: Scotland

Holidays & Saturdays

Post by Broxi51 »

I'm sorry if this has already been covered but our annual leave sheet
states the following; If you need a Saturday off then you must take the whole week as annual leave.
Surely that is a bit unfair especially if you have a number of Saturdays needed.
Management seem to get most Saturdays off without annual leave.
Is there any current agreement that disagrees with taking a whole week off for one day?
Any help much appreciated
The time has come to stop turning the other cheek, time to stop shaking our heads in bitter dismay, time to stop mumbling our angry words.
The time has come for union.
orlando
Posts: 8
Joined: 08 Mar 2012, 14:03
Gender: Male

Re: Holidays & Saturdays

Post by orlando »

Broxi51 wrote:I'm sorry if this has already been covered but our annual leave sheet
states the following; If you need a Saturday off then you must take the whole week as annual leave.
Surely that is a bit unfair especially if you have a number of Saturdays needed.
Management seem to get most Saturdays off without annual leave.
Is there any current agreement that disagrees with taking a whole week off for one day?
Any help much appreciated
One rule for one one for a manager. :nana :nana
islfor
Posts: 380
Joined: 26 Aug 2008, 19:27
Gender: Male
Location: Scotland

Re: Holidays & Saturdays

Post by islfor »

You can take annual leave from weds to weds if you like, it doesn't have to be Mon - Sat, please speak to a Rep that knows what he's doing.
Bahia Feliz
Posts: 1169
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
Gender: Male

Re: Holidays & Saturdays

Post by Bahia Feliz »

islfor wrote:You can take annual leave from weds to weds if you like, it doesn't have to be Mon - Sat, please speak to a Rep that knows what he's doing.
You can't book that on the leave sheets though!
OnAFlyer
Posts: 1938
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
Gender: Male

Re: Holidays & Saturdays

Post by OnAFlyer »

islfor wrote:You can take annual leave from weds to weds if you like, it doesn't have to be Mon - Sat, please speak to a Rep that knows what he's doing.
Not in our office you can't and never have been able to. I've never heard of midweek-midweek.
islfor
Posts: 380
Joined: 26 Aug 2008, 19:27
Gender: Male
Location: Scotland

Re: Holidays & Saturdays

Post by islfor »

It does not say in the agreement about annual leave being from mon - sat.
Bahia Feliz
Posts: 1169
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
Gender: Male

Re: Holidays & Saturdays

Post by Bahia Feliz »

islfor wrote:It does not say in the agreement about annual leave being from mon - sat.
You can arrange a Wed to Wed leave with your managers but you can't book it on the leave sheet.
Bahia Feliz
Posts: 1169
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
Gender: Male

Re: Holidays & Saturdays

Post by Bahia Feliz »

Broxi51 wrote: Surely that is a bit unfair especially if you have a number of Saturdays needed.
A number of Saturday's needed?
Unfortunately this is not a 9-5 Mon to Fri job,you either have to accept working most Saturday's or well,lump it I'm afraid :wave
da'bunny
Posts: 239
Joined: 08 May 2007, 20:47

Re: Holidays & Saturdays

Post by da'bunny »

Broxi51 i'm in the same boat as you as I do not do the usual "weeks" holiday. Ever since I started I (as have other colleauges) have been allowed to pick single days or wed - Sat etc. Never really had much trouble even tho managers always say "weeks have priority over days" As long as there are enough staff to cover the days its nearly always ok.
I always put everything (weeks/single days etc) I need on the holiday form, then hand It in and say something like "this is everything I need, I wont be able to attend work on these days due to ..... Please sort it!" Sometimes you have to be blunt!
Just say NO ....to the new agreement.
LukeyBoy
Posts: 47
Joined: 16 Apr 2010, 20:12
Gender: Male

Re: Holidays & Saturdays

Post by LukeyBoy »

I went and booked a holiday for May 2015 for 2 weeks Starting on a Thursday.Got called in the office it wasn't granted because it wasn't Mon-Sat and the "Rules" are now that's the way it has to be which is useless to me.So the DOM apparently had to get permission from higher up to grant me 3 weeks......but only on the grounds I worked 2 of my holiday days off this week........Managers don't you love 'em! :crazy:
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Holidays & Saturdays

Post by fishtank »

Not one to take the business side usually but obviously if you book a midweek to midweek it screws up two week's worth of leave. Annual leave is generally considered as a "working week" which is monday-saturday in our job so if I desperately needed a thursday-thursday I would either book the full two weeks or ask my manager beforehand if it was ok.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
demon
Posts: 732
Joined: 08 Jul 2009, 14:19
Gender: Female

Re: Holidays & Saturdays

Post by demon »

We got told we can now not put in for holls on the first 2weeks after Christmas I agree with the 4weeks leading upto Christmas but the 2weeks after as well is not on has anyone got a copy of the agreement to as and when we can put in our holidays thanks for any help