ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Reserve worker and Saturdays off

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
butters1982
Posts: 12
Joined: 01 Dec 2013, 16:22
Gender: Male

Reserve worker and Saturdays off

Post by butters1982 »

I am a 30 hour reserve but for the past 12 weeks since a person left I have covered his rest day covers shifts

1st week it started with a Monday off then next Tuesday off etc up to week 6 when I should of got a Saturday off.
When that week came I was asked to work my Saturday and I didn't want to but said I'd swap it for a different Saturday off and was told no promises but they would try so I worked it and then when the Saturday I wanted came along I couldn't have it off so had to claim back the overtime.

Then on the previous 6 weeks I've gone
Week 1 Monday off all the way to week six when they took my Saturday off me and gave me Wednesday off instead and then this week to follow I'm back on having Monday off.

I've been told I'm a reserve and I'm not entitled to it off even though it was that shifts cycle day off.

Is it me or have I been harshly treated as been offered 1 Saturday off since the middle of July and looks like I will have to wait another 6 to get a chance of 1 off.

Should I averagely be entitled to 1 of in 6?

Thanks
Rumple
Posts: 429
Joined: 20 Nov 2013, 10:45
Gender: Male

Re: Reserve worker and Saturdays off

Post by Rumple »

Your being shafted
butters1982
Posts: 12
Joined: 01 Dec 2013, 16:22
Gender: Male

Re: Reserve worker and Saturdays off

Post by butters1982 »

Most colleagues say the same management are saying u r a reserve so get on with it.

I work many 6 day weeks cover cut offs come in early and they do this to me.

Week just gone I stood my ground when twice they asked me to do more and said no.

Should I get HR involved? I don't want to but speaking to the office is like punching myself in the face
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16692
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: Reserve worker and Saturdays off

Post by clashcityrocker »

You should have the day off that corresponds to the duty you are covering.
You should get the same number of Saturdays off as the rest of the office.

If you feel you are being treated unfairly, then use the grievance procedure.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
butters1982
Posts: 12
Joined: 01 Dec 2013, 16:22
Gender: Male

Re: Reserve worker and Saturdays off

Post by butters1982 »

That's exactly what I feel should be the case.

My management in my office disagree with that.

I don't know the grevance procedure but will speak to hr tomorrow to see how I stand with things
jack
Posts: 299
Joined: 28 Aug 2007, 14:32

Re: Reserve worker and Saturdays off

Post by jack »

Happens all the time in our office, reserves never get the opportunity for their long weekends. If a reserve is kept on a duty for say 12 weeks when it rolls around for their long weekend its taken off them and their given a Tuesday or Friday. The only people guaranteed their long week ends are duty holders, it stinks and the union know about it but say the way the agreement was worded lets the gaffers do as they please :no no :no no :no no
'Royal Mail leaders could not lead a worm, they'll never take our pride cos that's what we earn'
butters1982
Posts: 12
Joined: 01 Dec 2013, 16:22
Gender: Male

Re: Reserve worker and Saturdays off

Post by butters1982 »

If the walk week had changed for me then I would still be annoyed but I could accept to a degree a walk needed covering for a week but to be on the same walk for 6 weeks then to have just the 1 day changed I think is unacceptable.

More so when they give me Wednesday off because they say we are a man over but have an agency worker and staff from other offices in. Which in theory 1 of those bodies could have been cancelled or not even booked in to work in my office
jack
Posts: 299
Joined: 28 Aug 2007, 14:32

Re: Reserve worker and Saturdays off

Post by jack »

butters1982 wrote:If the walk week had changed for me then I would still be annoyed but I could accept to a degree a walk needed covering for a week but to be on the same walk for 6 weeks then to have just the 1 day changed I think is unacceptable.
mate, it fookin stinks but that's the way it is i'm afraid with these twats who run RM, although the union should have picked up on the sneaky way RM worded it into the agreement.
'Royal Mail leaders could not lead a worm, they'll never take our pride cos that's what we earn'
rubberbond
Posts: 1497
Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
Gender: Male

Re: Reserve worker and Saturdays off

Post by rubberbond »

Correct me if I am wrong, however I do not believe the agreement discriminates between staff, we all get paid the same , therefore we are entitled to the same benefits , that includes Saturdays off. Stand your ground and demand what is your right.
Darren Bent
Posts: 2150
Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
Gender: Male
Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL

Re: Reserve worker and Saturdays off

Post by Darren Bent »

You are entitled to a saturday off every 6 weeks. So speak to union rep/area rep about it, then they will fight for your behalf. (As long they are decent rep)
butters1982
Posts: 12
Joined: 01 Dec 2013, 16:22
Gender: Male

Re: Reserve worker and Saturdays off

Post by butters1982 »

Our union guy normally does the rota is off and they guy that covers him is almost like a manager as been there years and years basically said u r a reserve so shut up about it and get on with it.

I just turned around said that's why I done no favours the last week as not going to be treated like crud when I've help out management a real shed load this year and worked a hell of a lot 6 day weeks.

I've asked for 3 favours in a year and got 1 they have got about 95% of favours done for them out of probably over 100.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Reserve worker and Saturdays off

Post by fishtank »

rubberbond wrote:Correct me if I am wrong, however I do not believe the agreement discriminates between staff, we all get paid the same , therefore we are entitled to the same benefits , that includes Saturdays off. Stand your ground and demand what is your right.
Without knowing the local resourcing plan, what the rest of the office is getting, the contract the OP was employed on and the agreed revision parameters it's impossible to say what the OP is entitled to never mind what his/her "rights" are.

For a reserve it's always going to be "the equivalent" of 1 in 6 and that can mean 12 weeks without a saturday off then 2 in a row so it's sometimes unwise to go in all guns blazing demanding your "rights".
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
butters1982
Posts: 12
Joined: 01 Dec 2013, 16:22
Gender: Male

Re: Reserve worker and Saturdays off

Post by butters1982 »

I've not gone in all guns blazing as I said I've been on a pattern for 12 weeks and it was the walks/shift Saturday but they took it off me as I said before I have tomorrow off which proves my point.

I've gone

Week1 Monday 2 Tuesday 3 Wednesday 4 Thursday 5 Friday 6 Wednesday then start the cyle again tomorrow with Monday off
Bahia Feliz
Posts: 1169
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
Gender: Male

Re: Reserve worker and Saturdays off

Post by Bahia Feliz »

You should have turned up on the Wednesday and said you are Saturday off this week!
butters1982
Posts: 12
Joined: 01 Dec 2013, 16:22
Gender: Male

Re: Reserve worker and Saturdays off

Post by butters1982 »

Lol.

I'm just sticking to my guns and won't help them out

They've coming running twice and I've not gone to them