ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

sick leave

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
sumason
Posts: 31
Joined: 19 Aug 2011, 22:53
Gender: Female

sick leave

Post by sumason »

hello all

i have a quick question about sick leave.

i phoned in sick tuesday morning with sickness(stomach bug) which lasted 48 hours. I still feel bad but slowly recovering.
i phoned back today and said i wasnt feeling 100% and i was told this "didnt you ask for time off in october, its funny how your sick" can a manager actually say this? i no myself im telling the truth it just annoys me she responds like this. (i did ask for 1 day off in october about 3 weeks ago)

im undecided if im going in tommororw as i dont no how i will feel but im down for annual leave next week so im unsure how this will work.
Stella102
Posts: 597
Joined: 06 Aug 2011, 19:32
Gender: Male

Re: sick leave

Post by Stella102 »

put in a grievance or harassment form. This is unacceptable.
oldrope
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 221
Joined: 27 Oct 2007, 16:17
Location: lapland

Re: sick leave

Post by oldrope »

sumason wrote:hello all

i have a quick question about sick leave.

i phoned in sick tuesday morning with sickness(stomach bug) which lasted 48 hours. I still feel bad but slowly recovering.
i phoned back today and said i wasnt feeling 100% and i was told this "didnt you ask for time off in october, its funny how your sick" can a manager actually say this? i no myself im telling the truth it just annoys me she responds like this. (i did ask for 1 day off in october about 3 weeks ago)

im undecided if im going in tommororw as i dont no how i will feel but im down for annual leave next week so im unsure how this will work.

Hi, you must ring and say that you are fit for work Monday or they will still Include next week as sick.
paulp
Posts: 36
Joined: 05 Mar 2010, 09:22
Gender: Male

Re: sick leave

Post by paulp »

id ring sunday so they dont count sunday as a sick day
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: sick leave

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

When no-one is in ?
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
sumason
Posts: 31
Joined: 19 Aug 2011, 22:53
Gender: Female

Re: sick leave

Post by sumason »

paulp wrote:id ring sunday so they dont count sunday as a sick day

I would if I could but there is no one in the office. I would of had 6 days off if they count Sunday.
i think self certification only covers 5 days

Im on 3 days weeks so really ive only had 2 "work" days off as wed/thu are my rest days
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: sick leave

Post by fishtank »

sumason wrote:
paulp wrote:id ring sunday so they dont count sunday as a sick day

I would if I could but there is no one in the office. I would of had 6 days off if they count Sunday.
i think self certification only covers 5 days

Im on 3 days weeks so really ive only had 2 "work" days off as wed/thu are my rest days

If you return to work on your first available work day after your sick absence any non-working days will not count unless they are straddled by sick days, also a self-cert covers 7 calendar days.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: sick leave

Post by bustedflush »

sumason wrote:hello all

i have a quick question about sick leave.

i phoned in sick tuesday morning with sickness(stomach bug) which lasted 48 hours. I still feel bad but slowly recovering.
i phoned back today and said i wasnt feeling 100% and i was told this "didnt you ask for time off in october, its funny how your sick" can a manager actually say this? i no myself im telling the truth it just annoys me she responds like this. (i did ask for 1 day off in october about 3 weeks ago)

im undecided if im going in tommororw as i dont no how i will feel but im down for annual leave next week so im unsure how this will work.
He should not say that! ALL SICKNESS IS PRESUMED GENUINE. We have an agreement CWU/RM about this subject.
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Re: sick leave

Post by aiden01 »

sumason wrote:
paulp wrote:id ring sunday so they dont count sunday as a sick day

I would if I could but there is no one in the office. I would of had 6 days off if they count Sunday.
i think self certification only covers 5 days

Im on 3 days weeks so really ive only had 2 "work" days off as wed/thu are my rest days
but as you did,nt attend for work today you will now have four days classified as sick leave.