ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Thinking of quitting already
-
jolly_postman
- Posts: 13
- Joined: 16 Oct 2014, 15:11
- Gender: Female
Thinking of quitting already
Hey guys.
Had my second day on the job yesterday, today is my day off and I'm back in again tomorrow.
When I got home yesterday I was shaking with exhaustion and completely dehydrated. I am worrying now that this might not be the job for me, despite being SO excited about it before I started. A couple of things I'm wondering about - does it get any easier? I had 7 pouches of mail to deliver yesterday in 3.5 hours and as I'm not a driver A LOT of walking to collection boxes. My work coach walks at 100mph as well so I was basically running along to keep up with him and now my feet are swolen and I am hobbling along like an old woman. Another thing - he didn't stop for a drink or a break AT ALL so I found myself gasping for a drink and running on empty. I am contracted to finish at 1.30 but both times we finished at gone 2.30 and as we didn't tell anyone we thought we'd run over I don't get any OT for those hours (you'd think they'd allow new people an hour over?) to make matters worse I've just got my first wage slip though and it says 24 hours - Basic pay - £186, when it should be more like £218 if I'm on £9.10 an hour? Is it just a dodgy first pay slip?
Blah, so many questions! Let me know if I'm being unreasonable or wimpy!
Had my second day on the job yesterday, today is my day off and I'm back in again tomorrow.
When I got home yesterday I was shaking with exhaustion and completely dehydrated. I am worrying now that this might not be the job for me, despite being SO excited about it before I started. A couple of things I'm wondering about - does it get any easier? I had 7 pouches of mail to deliver yesterday in 3.5 hours and as I'm not a driver A LOT of walking to collection boxes. My work coach walks at 100mph as well so I was basically running along to keep up with him and now my feet are swolen and I am hobbling along like an old woman. Another thing - he didn't stop for a drink or a break AT ALL so I found myself gasping for a drink and running on empty. I am contracted to finish at 1.30 but both times we finished at gone 2.30 and as we didn't tell anyone we thought we'd run over I don't get any OT for those hours (you'd think they'd allow new people an hour over?) to make matters worse I've just got my first wage slip though and it says 24 hours - Basic pay - £186, when it should be more like £218 if I'm on £9.10 an hour? Is it just a dodgy first pay slip?
Blah, so many questions! Let me know if I'm being unreasonable or wimpy!
-
manboss
- Posts: 110
- Joined: 20 Feb 2013, 15:55
- Gender: Male
Re: Thinking of quitting already
Just have a drink after every loop when your back at the van, that's what I do. You need to claim your OT, i'm on a 25 hr contract, so 5 hrs a day, usually on average I will start at 8:30, so that's a 1:30 finish and that very rarely happens and also if your not having your breaks then don't forget to add it on to your finish time. Really you need to ask your manager about how to note your daily OT, at my office each individual (usually PT's) has a OT sheet to note any daily OT for the week, works really well. You will get quicker, your using muscles that your more than likely not using that much, even if your a sporty person but what you wearing for work, the right footwear can make a huge difference.jolly_postman wrote:Hey guys.
Had my second day on the job yesterday, today is my day off and I'm back in again tomorrow.
When I got home yesterday I was shaking with exhaustion and completely dehydrated. I am worrying now that this might not be the job for me, despite being SO excited about it before I started. A couple of things I'm wondering about - does it get any easier? I had 7 pouches of mail to deliver yesterday in 3.5 hours and as I'm not a driver A LOT of walking to collection boxes. My work coach walks at 100mph as well so I was basically running along to keep up with him and now my feet are swolen and I am hobbling along like an old woman. Another thing - he didn't stop for a drink or a break AT ALL so I found myself gasping for a drink and running on empty. I am contracted to finish at 1.30 but both times we finished at gone 2.30 and as we didn't tell anyone we thought we'd run over I don't get any OT for those hours (you'd think they'd allow new people an hour over?) to make matters worse I've just got my first wage slip though and it says 24 hours - Basic pay - £186, when it should be more like £218 if I'm on £9.10 an hour? Is it just a dodgy first pay slip?
Blah, so many questions! Let me know if I'm being unreasonable or wimpy!
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16692
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Re: Thinking of quitting already
Like any form of exercise it gets easier the more you do it. (Until you overdo it)
Avoiding dehydration is pretty simple - you need to drink, a little and often and make sure you know where the toilets are on a walk. The walk log should tell you.
If you go over your time, you are entitled to be paid for it. They should make allowances for you being new.
The coach sounds like an idiot. No great surprise there though.
As to your pay, could it be due to being on an emergency tax code.
Avoiding dehydration is pretty simple - you need to drink, a little and often and make sure you know where the toilets are on a walk. The walk log should tell you.
If you go over your time, you are entitled to be paid for it. They should make allowances for you being new.
The coach sounds like an idiot. No great surprise there though.
As to your pay, could it be due to being on an emergency tax code.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Thinking of quitting already
It's very hard in the first week or 2. Your legs/feet will get used to it quicker than you think. Tell your line manager about the O/T - you should and will get paid, your partner should help you with that. As said, carry at least I litre of water in the van, have a good slug after each pouch. Your footwear is crucial and makes a massive difference, put liners in. Your pay is probably short by 1 day by the sound of it, maybe you started Tuesday and you haven't been paid for your induction day?jolly_postman wrote:Hey guys.
Had my second day on the job yesterday, today is my day off and I'm back in again tomorrow.
When I got home yesterday I was shaking with exhaustion and completely dehydrated. I am worrying now that this might not be the job for me, despite being SO excited about it before I started. A couple of things I'm wondering about - does it get any easier? I had 7 pouches of mail to deliver yesterday in 3.5 hours and as I'm not a driver A LOT of walking to collection boxes. My work coach walks at 100mph as well so I was basically running along to keep up with him and now my feet are swolen and I am hobbling along like an old woman. Another thing - he didn't stop for a drink or a break AT ALL so I found myself gasping for a drink and running on empty. I am contracted to finish at 1.30 but both times we finished at gone 2.30 and as we didn't tell anyone we thought we'd run over I don't get any OT for those hours (you'd think they'd allow new people an hour over?) to make matters worse I've just got my first wage slip though and it says 24 hours - Basic pay - £186, when it should be more like £218 if I'm on £9.10 an hour? Is it just a dodgy first pay slip?
Blah, so many questions! Let me know if I'm being unreasonable or wimpy!
-
Jpro747
- Posts: 1342
- Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
- Gender: Male
Re: Thinking of quitting already
Sounds like your getting thrown in at the deep end. The 'coach' is an idiot if hes going that fast, he needs to slow down and have a little patience as youre a new start and bound to do overtime to begin with. Speak to your manager explaining the situation, you should be entitled to OT, you don't need to run, and you are entitled to a break - Its the law. If your manager sounds like hes being unreasonable talk to your union rep or failing that go to area rep.
-
Rumple
- Posts: 429
- Joined: 20 Nov 2013, 10:45
- Gender: Male
Re: Thinking of quitting already
Sounds like you know what it's like.jolly_postman wrote:Hey guys.
Had my second day on the job yesterday, today is my day off and I'm back in again tomorrow.
When I got home yesterday I was shaking with exhaustion and completely dehydrated. I am worrying now that this might not be the job for me, despite being SO excited about it before I started. A couple of things I'm wondering about - does it get any easier? I had 7 pouches of mail to deliver yesterday in 3.5 hours and as I'm not a driver A LOT of walking to collection boxes. My work coach walks at 100mph as well so I was basically running along to keep up with him and now my feet are swolen and I am hobbling along like an old woman. Another thing - he didn't stop for a drink or a break AT ALL so I found myself gasping for a drink and running on empty. I am contracted to finish at 1.30 but both times we finished at gone 2.30 and as we didn't tell anyone we thought we'd run over I don't get any OT for those hours (you'd think they'd allow new people an hour over?) to make matters worse I've just got my first wage slip though and it says 24 hours - Basic pay - £186, when it should be more like £218 if I'm on £9.10 an hour? Is it just a dodgy first pay slip?
Blah, so many questions! Let me know if I'm being unreasonable or wimpy!
It will get easier in a year or two.
-
Barbel
- Posts: 593
- Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
- Gender: Male
Re: Thinking of quitting already
Don't jack it in, it will get easier honestly though the first few weeks will be the hardest. Just make sure you take a bottle of water with you and keep taking sips otherwise you'll make yourself ill. Also make sure you take some snacks with you to keep your energy up. I always have a banana before I go out on delivery and take some jaffa cakes with me to keep me going. I also felt like quitting after the first couple of weeks but just persevere and it will get easier.
-
jolly_postman
- Posts: 13
- Joined: 16 Oct 2014, 15:11
- Gender: Female
Re: Thinking of quitting already
Thanks guys. Those mentioning keeping stuff in the van - I don't/won't have one! I don't drive so its all walking to drop boxes to pick up pouches for me. Also, there are absolutely no toilets on my walk. I think I need to talk to my DOM tomorrow and get the OT put down. As for the work coach, I am with someone else tomorrow so might see how fast he goes. I really don't want to quit but I think I'm going to have to have a serious chat with someone about how I'm struggling.
-
Justanotherstar
- Posts: 351
- Joined: 28 Dec 2012, 10:43
- Gender: Male
Re: Thinking of quitting already
You have to give it at least 3 weeks to get used to the job...at least you have got a work coach, I was out with someone for 1 day then I was on my own doing van share walks with a HCT lol, I wasn't finishing until gone 3 some days (although that was on overtime I didn't really mind! :P) Always bring a bottle of water with you, your body will adjust to the workout but it might be worth buy a protein shake to help with recovery...Sounds silly but they definitely help.
The coach is there to teach you, ask him to slow down a bit if he is too fast for you, you will get quicker!
As above, you have to claim the overtime (When you sign in there should be a box put the time you finish next to it, don't forget to add your 40 minute break if you didn't take it)
The coach is there to teach you, ask him to slow down a bit if he is too fast for you, you will get quicker!
As above, you have to claim the overtime (When you sign in there should be a box put the time you finish next to it, don't forget to add your 40 minute break if you didn't take it)
-
maximus12
- Posts: 76
- Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 08:59
- Gender: Male
Re: Thinking of quitting already
It is a struggle at first but it will get easier. Your legs and feet will hurt for the first couple of weeks. As a new starter the manager will know you will be slow, everyone is when they start and when you learn a new round. Stick with it, give it a few weeks and see how it's going. And get that overtime booked down, including the breaks you were entitled too. There should be a sheet somewhere to write it down.
-
Ricardo44
- Posts: 164
- Joined: 15 Dec 2013, 20:34
- Gender: Male
Re: Thinking of quitting already
Find out who the union rep is in your office and join the union as soon as you can. The rep will be able to help you deal with management and get your overtime sorted out. You are a bit unlucky to be starting at a busy time of year but stick at it and it will come to you.
-
Barbel
- Posts: 593
- Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
- Gender: Male
Re: Thinking of quitting already
Don't be bullied either into rushing around and running. A lot of these 'coaches' just want to finish early and couldn't give a monkey's about teaching your properly. That was my experience also when I first started, he even said himself he didn't want to teach me because he wanted to get home early and I was slowing him down, didn't make me feel too good but that's RM for you I'm afraid. Saying that though, it is a good job if you stick at it, just stand your ground and don't be bullied by anyone.
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Thinking of quitting already
I'm surprised you were employed without a driving licence. As soon as you reach the point where the application form says do you have a licence it shuts. I had a young relative apply who couldn't drive and that's exactly what happened and that's some time ago. Oddly enough I took a call from a lady today complaining that's what was happening every time her husband tried to fill in the application form.
Other than that it will get easier and much easier if you learn to drive
Other than that it will get easier and much easier if you learn to drive
-
jolly_postman
- Posts: 13
- Joined: 16 Oct 2014, 15:11
- Gender: Female
Re: Thinking of quitting already
On part time wages, I don't think so!dvbuk55 wrote: Other than that it will get easier and much easier if you learn to drive
-
Darren Bent
- Posts: 2150
- Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL
Re: Thinking of quitting already
Don't quit yet, as you have to get used to it, time to decide is when you done 3 months first. Fitness take time to build up in the job.