ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

sick pay

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
jason1984
Posts: 21
Joined: 14 Oct 2013, 20:05
Gender: Male

sick pay

Post by jason1984 »

hi,

Was wondering if anyone can help me, I have shin splints and been given a sickline for two weeks, but said to my DOM that I would do indoor work or parcels for him as I hate being off work, but he told me there is no indoor or parcel work availiable for me to do (even though there are four people in office doing indoor work during shift). I have worked there since June last year, but been told two different things about sick pay, one says you get full pay if your off on the sick once you have been there a year, while the other says its two years before you get full pay while off sick? whats the real answer, and if I have offered to do any indoor work or parcels for them, do they not need to try find me work to do or do I need to ask for a referral to ATOS?

thanks for any help!
hellpop
Posts: 62
Joined: 13 Nov 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

Re: sick pay

Post by hellpop »

i have been off with shin splints recently and was off for 4 wks and like yourself i came back to work early . as far as i was told you have to be there a year and for the first 6 months it is full pay and the 2nd six months half pay.i would have thought that now we are on the run in to christmas that they would be able to find you work to do.do you have a mail centre in your vicinity that you could work at. we send an awful lot of our people there.
jason1984
Posts: 21
Joined: 14 Oct 2013, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: sick pay

Post by jason1984 »

No,nearest mail centre is an hour away from me which doesn't help,but they have a girl going on maternity leave starting next week so surely i could do her indoor work but they say that aint possible?
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Re: sick pay

Post by rehabron »

jason1984 wrote:hi,

Was wondering if anyone can help me, I have shin splints and been given a sickline for two weeks, but said to my DOM that I would do indoor work or parcels for him as I hate being off work, but he told me there is no indoor or parcel work availiable for me to do (even though there are four people in office doing indoor work during shift). I have worked there since June last year, but been told two different things about sick pay, one says you get full pay if your off on the sick once you have been there a year, while the other says its two years before you get full pay while off sick? whats the real answer, and if I have offered to do any indoor work or parcels for them, do they not need to try find me work to do or do I need to ask for a referral to ATOS?

thanks for any help!
After completing 1 years service you are entitled to 26 wks on full pay and 26 wks on half pay.
It seems to me that your DOM on this occasion is unwilling to take the risk of giving you alternative work while you are covered by a medical certificate in case their are complications to your condition on completing indoor work.
Working in a close environment with heavy parcels there is the possibility that one could com in contact with your shin.
To take the pressure of a decision off your DOM you would need to request a referral to OH Assist if you are that keen to continue working and they will give their recommendations to your DOM of the work you can complete.
jason1984
Posts: 21
Joined: 14 Oct 2013, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: sick pay

Post by jason1984 »

Thanks for your help,so is this two year service thing a load of rubbish?
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: sick pay

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

jason1984 wrote:Thanks for your help,so is this two year service thing a load of rubbish?
yes, but check YOUR contract to be 100% certain.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
jason1984
Posts: 21
Joined: 14 Oct 2013, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: sick pay

Post by jason1984 »

never had a copy of my new contract since I got moved to a 25 hour contract from a 20, just got told I was getting moved to that contract, so if it has been changed to two years does that not mean I have a case against them for still getting the sick pay after one year if I haven't been told of any changes to my contract if it has been changed to two years?
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: sick pay

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

jason1984 wrote:never had a copy of my new contract since I got moved to a 25 hour contract from a 20, just got told I was getting moved to that contract, so if it has been changed to two years does that not mean I have a case against them for still getting the sick pay after one year if I haven't been told of any changes to my contract if it has been changed to two years?
If you didn't have to sign a new contract for the increase then the clauses under the original 20 hour apply. I and others are 100% that they haven't changed the rules but for you to be 100% you need to check your old contract.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: sick pay

Post by bustedflush »

All sickness is presumed genuine and paid in full for 6 months after one year of service. AFAIK all contracts are the same, they cannot employ (usually) FTC people with conditions inferior to other workers, including pay/pension/bonus etc.