ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

New post lady! Few questions...

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
fay_elizabeth
Posts: 5
Joined: 08 Oct 2014, 12:53
Gender: Female

New post lady! Few questions...

Post by fay_elizabeth »

Hi Guys!

So, I am starting as a post lady on Wednesday in Westbury-on-trym (Bristol) on a 24 hour, 6 month contract and I am super excited but also super nervous! I just have a few random questions that I hoped someone might be able to answer for me.

I'm keen to go for the shorts option with uniform as I am not a fan of the trousers. Does anyone know if you are allowed to wear tights underneath them? Random question I know! Also, are you allowed to wear wellies? I think they are the only waterproof footwear I have.

Another thing, my training day tomorrow is in Swindon, can I claim back the travel expenses? It says I have to be there by 9am or I'll be turned away at the door. This means leaving my house at 6am, getting a bus, a train and a taxi! If I'm late, will I really get turned away?

One last question - When you guys say 'cut off' when on your round, what does this mean?
centenaryman
Posts: 512
Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 20:31
Gender: Male

Re: New post lady! Few questions...

Post by centenaryman »

can answer 2 points for you,,,,,,r.m health and safety are supposed to supply footwear on your 1st day....(supposed)...I wouldn't ever want to walk round for 4-5 hrs in wellies...

don't worry about cut off just yet,,,,you should be trained up at 1st,,,few days out with a regular postman.......cut off is not being able to complete your full duty in the allotted hours,,,,so you have to cut off if you don't want to work over
rhino49
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1644
Joined: 04 Jun 2007, 21:50
Gender: Male
Location: At home with my feet up

Re: New post lady! Few questions...

Post by rhino49 »

Shorts and tights is the same as socks and sandals - the fashion police will get you lol.
Don't say "Super" in the office !!!
We wish to serve - but we will not be servile
oldrope
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 221
Joined: 27 Oct 2007, 16:17
Location: lapland

Re: New post lady! Few questions...

Post by oldrope »

fay_elizabeth wrote:Hi Guys!

So, I am starting as a post lady on Wednesday in Westbury-on-trym (Bristol) on a 24 hour, 6 month contract and I am super excited but also super nervous! I just have a few random questions that I hoped someone might be able to answer for me.

I'm keen to go for the shorts option with uniform as I am not a fan of the trousers. Does anyone know if you are allowed to wear tights underneath them? Random question I know! Also, are you allowed to wear wellies? I think they are the only waterproof footwear I have.

Another thing, my training day tomorrow is in Swindon, can I claim back the travel expenses? It says I have to be there by 9am or I'll be turned away at the door. This means leaving my house at 6am, getting a bus, a train and a taxi! If I'm late, will I really get turned away?

One last question - When you guys say 'cut off' when on your round, what does this mean?

To the 1st question yes I don't see why not

To the 2nd question don't know but ask at your training day ( keep all you tickets)

To the 3rd question cut off means if you reach your finish time befor you have delivered all the mail you cut off and bring it back to the office, but you need to tell your manager that you may need to cut off,
spiderj
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 969
Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
Gender: Male
Location: ctp

Re: New post lady! Few questions...

Post by spiderj »

Let me know if you do go for tights and shorts....I'll do it too

On a serious note its a great question and I'm not sure what the uniform code says on it,its worth checking it out.there's a search function here and it should be there for download.

Wellies will kill your feet...hiking boots/trainers will do until you get issued uniform.failing that wear old trainers and say goodbye to them in a fortnight.

Cutting off.....its a minefield or can be..there are many ways of saying it to your manager but download the opg cutting off on delivery guide first...it rocks.

And yes..don't say super/fab/yay etc

I do but I ain't normal

:nana
I won
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: New post lady! Few questions...

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Ladies at my DO who wear shorts don't wear tights as they say its far too warm even in winter.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: New post lady! Few questions...

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Yes I asked :oops: :oops:
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: New post lady! Few questions...

Post by Lounge Lizard »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Yes I asked :oops: :oops:
- and that's not all you ask them. :no no
rubberbond
Posts: 1497
Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
Gender: Male

Re: New post lady! Few questions...

Post by rubberbond »

I understood that the rules regarding footwear had changed , just over 2 years ago, in that the D.O. was supposed to order them as soon as you started, due to the safety implications. So make sure you check that out as soon as you can. Mind you it has probably changed again since then.
fay_elizabeth
Posts: 5
Joined: 08 Oct 2014, 12:53
Gender: Female

Re: New post lady! Few questions...

Post by fay_elizabeth »

spiderj wrote: And yes..don't say super/fab/yay etc
Oops, better quit now then.
Senior Service
Posts: 185
Joined: 19 Aug 2007, 18:34

Re: New post lady! Few questions...

Post by Senior Service »

You used to be able to get Royal Mail willies. I know because I have some.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: New post lady! Few questions...

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Senior Service wrote:You used to be able to get Royal Mail willies. I know because I have some.
some :shock: are you on Redtube :chuckle :chuckle
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
saddlerposty
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 248
Joined: 08 Mar 2010, 18:20
Gender: Male

Re: New post lady! Few questions...

Post by saddlerposty »

tights under shorts are ok, but stockings will get you more tips come xmas :crazy:
fay_elizabeth
Posts: 5
Joined: 08 Oct 2014, 12:53
Gender: Female

Re: New post lady! Few questions...

Post by fay_elizabeth »

saddlerposty wrote:tights under shorts are ok, but stockings will get you more tips come xmas :crazy:
Ah good old sexism. Glad to see its rife amongst the RM ranks. :roll:
spiderj
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 969
Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
Gender: Male
Location: ctp

Re: New post lady! Few questions...

Post by spiderj »

Its mostly the old boys

Its all they remember about it lol

.....

Look at getting decent gloves for the winter too,I use liner gloves under leather

Looks mental but keeps my fingers warm
Royal mail half finger gloves don't do it for me.

Blister plasters too

:thumbup
I won