ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Interview and changing application

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
chipsmum
Posts: 2
Joined: 12 Oct 2014, 07:51
Gender: Female

Interview and changing application

Post by chipsmum »

Hi

A couple of weeks ago I applied for a role working from a sorting office 20 miles away. I have been invited for an interview on Thursday but yesterday noticed that my local office 7 miles away is now advertising for F/T staff. If I withdraw from the interview this week and apply for the more local job (with better hours as well) would it affect my chances ?

Also sounds cheeky asking when I haven't even been offered a job yet but is it possible to ever get a Saturday off ?

Thanks
kirstyx
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 147
Joined: 24 Jul 2012, 16:45
Gender: Female

Re: Interview and changing application

Post by kirstyx »

if you are a reserve its rare that you get saturdays off in all honesty but that might just be my office but if you get put on a set route then your days off will be rotational so every 6 weeks you will get a long weekend off.you can transfer your application i did but that was only allowed because the job closer to me was less than 2 miles away that was a couple of years ago so it may have changed
GT85
Posts: 365
Joined: 26 Nov 2013, 20:02
Gender: Male
Location: ASDO

Re: Interview and changing application

Post by GT85 »

Every office seems to work differently, I am lucky to work in an office where reserves get a rotating day off so that every 6 weeks I get a long weekend :thumbup
We're all here because we're not all there
Darren Bent
Posts: 2150
Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
Gender: Male
Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL

Re: Interview and changing application

Post by Darren Bent »

Just get the job first and then apply for transfer in few months time. Getting a job is hardest bit, and don't expect a full time job straight away.
postmanplod69
Posts: 146
Joined: 04 Sep 2007, 21:52
Location: at my frame

Re: Interview and changing application

Post by postmanplod69 »

Got a leave reserve in my office who has had 5 consecutive Saturday's off on the trot,quite a large office where I work but 1 guy who's been there a year has had 1,the leave reserve can't believe how lucky he has been and he's a nice guy but sometimes you think they would spread if out a bit if a Saturday off arises.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Interview and changing application

Post by dvbuk55 »

Don't withdraw from the interview, just apply for the other post as well, then it's two bites of the cherry.
chipsmum
Posts: 2
Joined: 12 Oct 2014, 07:51
Gender: Female

Re: Interview and changing application

Post by chipsmum »

I have tried to apply for the other job but the system won't let me as I am already in the application process ?
joeyuk
Posts: 93
Joined: 10 Jul 2013, 13:24
Gender: Male

Re: Interview and changing application

Post by joeyuk »

chipsmum wrote:I have tried to apply for the other job but the system won't let me as I am already in the application process ?

Just go through with the 1st one, u may pass the interview but not get the job so go on a waiting list so u then get 1st dibs on other jobs that come up. As it been said before just getting the job is hard enough as they normally have 5/6 people for each position.