ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Letter from DOM
-
royalmailslave
- Posts: 126
- Joined: 20 Sep 2010, 17:09
- Gender: Male
Letter from DOM
Can anybody advise me of where I stand...I went sick on Wednesday morning ..full of a cold,bad chest and a terrible cough...that combined I haven't had the best few nights sleep,I received the initial bog standard "sorry your feeling ill" letter from the line manager...followed by a text message from him the day later mithering about if I'm coming back in this week he said for "staffing" reasons.....which I never replied
I received a further letter this morning from the DOM asking me to attend work this Saturday morning for a discussion on my illness....The letter is printed from the DOM ...but signed by the line manager....I've worked for RM for a long time and never had this before.....more to the point I don't feel I need to have a meeting to discuss my illness with the DOM...and I have every intention of returning to work Monday morning ......I'm currently on no stages and as far as I'm aware this current sick period shouldn't push me into a stage 1.....
Advice please
I received a further letter this morning from the DOM asking me to attend work this Saturday morning for a discussion on my illness....The letter is printed from the DOM ...but signed by the line manager....I've worked for RM for a long time and never had this before.....more to the point I don't feel I need to have a meeting to discuss my illness with the DOM...and I have every intention of returning to work Monday morning ......I'm currently on no stages and as far as I'm aware this current sick period shouldn't push me into a stage 1.....
Advice please
-
royalmailslave
- Posts: 126
- Joined: 20 Sep 2010, 17:09
- Gender: Male
Re: Letter from DOM
Since spoke to my CWU rep who says this letter is absolute nonsense ...and he shouldn't be sending such letters out after just 3 days of sickness..told me I haven't to attend.
-
Rumple
- Posts: 429
- Joined: 20 Nov 2013, 10:45
- Gender: Male
Re: Letter from DOM
It's sounds like the usual, managers putting pressure on staff.
-
The_Wax_Man
- Posts: 191
- Joined: 11 Nov 2011, 14:18
- Gender: Male
Re: Letter from DOM
RM are on a staffing freeze, have walks lapsing left right and centre with some mail not being delivered.
Staff sickness are at record highs, long term sickness rounds and holiday rounds not being covered.
Everyone is being pushed, pushed and pushed with Managers hiding the real truth from DOMS - Doms hiding the real truth from Area Managers, - Area Mangers telling above that things are being managed - Those above thinking everythings ok - Top layer thinking some of the workforce are lazy and not pulling weight which increases more demands and thus is the very cycle of RM
In between all of that, the Union are playing tennis through each levels.
Nothing is going to change. That is why you have the letter - as your normally one of the 'good guys' - they know by applying this bit of pressure on you, your guilt of taking time off will get you back.

Staff sickness are at record highs, long term sickness rounds and holiday rounds not being covered.
Everyone is being pushed, pushed and pushed with Managers hiding the real truth from DOMS - Doms hiding the real truth from Area Managers, - Area Mangers telling above that things are being managed - Those above thinking everythings ok - Top layer thinking some of the workforce are lazy and not pulling weight which increases more demands and thus is the very cycle of RM
In between all of that, the Union are playing tennis through each levels.
Nothing is going to change. That is why you have the letter - as your normally one of the 'good guys' - they know by applying this bit of pressure on you, your guilt of taking time off will get you back.
-
royalmailslave
- Posts: 126
- Joined: 20 Sep 2010, 17:09
- Gender: Male
Re: Letter from DOM
I'm going to resume work tomorrow ...because I feel pressured to do it,despite still not feeling 100%....I'm in possession of a letter from the DOM ...signed by my line manager that my CWU rep says is completely out of order ....and an agreement had been broken.....so I'm going to put a grievance in against them
-
AnotherLimey
- Posts: 751
- Joined: 08 Aug 2009, 18:45
- Gender: Male
Re: Letter from DOM
You are an idiot to go back, you have been told they are in the wrong, go back when your still feeling ill and they have wonroyalmailslave wrote:I'm going to resume work tomorrow ...because I feel pressured to do it,despite still not feeling 100%....I'm in possession of a letter from the DOM ...signed by my line manager that my CWU rep says is completely out of order ....and an agreement had been broken.....so I'm going to put a grievance in against them
-
Cedar_Room
- Posts: 826
- Joined: 31 Aug 2007, 14:09
Re: Letter from DOM
You've done nothing wrong pal.royalmailslave wrote:I'm going to resume work tomorrow ...because I feel pressured to do it,despite still not feeling 100%....I'm in possession of a letter from the DOM ...signed by my line manager that my CWU rep says is completely out of order ....and an agreement had been broken.....so I'm going to put a grievance in against them
Take the weekend off & return to duty on a monday,assuming you're feeling better.
Sod's law says it will throw it down tomorrow & you'll end up being even more off colour than you already are & possibly have even more time off.
“Shorts,in this weather?!”
“If they’re bills I don’t want ‘em!”
“What’s she been ordering now?”
“If they’re bills I don’t want ‘em!”
“What’s she been ordering now?”
-
centenaryman
- Posts: 512
- Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 20:31
- Gender: Male
Re: Letter from DOM
royalmailslave wrote:I'm going to resume work tomorrow ...because I feel pressured to do it,despite still not feeling 100%....I'm in possession of a letter from the DOM ...signed by my line manager that my CWU rep says is completely out of order ....and an agreement had been broken.....so I'm going to put a grievance in against them
its a standard thing they do at our place,,,,chancing there arm that you will give in an go in to work....this time they have come up trumps.
only you know if your well enough for work at this moment in time.
1 question for you....you return tomorrow and after your duty because you haven't recovered do you feel Ill enough to go back of sick....your 1/2 way towards a stage warning.....but have the weekend off,,,,telling them your fit for Monday is my advise
-
GoingRoundTheBend
- Posts: 108
- Joined: 25 Jun 2014, 20:09
- Gender: Male
Re: Letter from DOM
royalmailslave wrote:I'm going to resume work tomorrow ...because I feel pressured to do it,despite still not feeling 100%....I'm in possession of a letter from the DOM ...signed by my line manager that my CWU rep says is completely out of order ....and an agreement had been broken.....so I'm going to put a grievance in against them
As all above have said.... don't go back until Monday, use the weekend to recoup and relax. Don't let the baskets bully you into going back early
-
Hitcher
- Posts: 1530
- Joined: 20 Sep 2009, 09:59
- Gender: Male
Re: Letter from DOM
Have you been contacting them daily to let them know you're still not well enough for work?
-
rubberbond
- Posts: 1497
- Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
- Gender: Male
Re: Letter from DOM
If you are sick, you are sick, how are you expected to get better if they keep harassing you? When you are better you come back to work, all sickness is officially treated as genuine, so why do you need to discuss it? Is your manager medically qualified all of a sudden. Has he found a cure? Er no. See you Monday ,if I'm better!royalmailslave wrote:I'm going to resume work tomorrow ...because I feel pressured to do it,despite still not feeling 100%....I'm in possession of a letter from the DOM ...signed by my line manager that my CWU rep says is completely out of order ....and an agreement had been broken.....so I'm going to put a grievance in against them
Short of staff? Whose fault is that?
-
eastie
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2234
- Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
- Gender: Male
Re: Letter from DOM
They ring you up at home about 10 am in the morning asking you if you are in tomorrow
How the hell do you know how you will feel tomorrow.
Best thing is to ring up the office before the DOM gets in and leave the message with one of the early starters and then turn your mobile off
How the hell do you know how you will feel tomorrow.
Best thing is to ring up the office before the DOM gets in and leave the message with one of the early starters and then turn your mobile off
-
bigbazza
- Posts: 113
- Joined: 15 Feb 2010, 19:28
- Gender: Male
Re: Letter from DOM
Sod em go back Monday if your feeling fit enough.
-
makingsounds
- Posts: 202
- Joined: 19 Oct 2012, 15:07
- Gender: Male
Re: Letter from DOM
In my opinion, after 2 weeks off sick, you're classed as long term, between that and 28 days off, management can ask for a face to face meeting. Up to 2 weeks is short term and phone calls should suffice.
-
tonytucker
- Posts: 190
- Joined: 06 Aug 2009, 18:20
- Gender: Male
- Location: Essex now
Re: Letter from DOM
Ring up fri afternoon when no management are in and say see you Monday.now have a nice Friday evening and a lie in Saturday,will only still count as one absence anyway.
BRING IT BACK BRING IT BACK