ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Hours cut without me knowing?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Hours cut without me knowing?

Post by bustedflush »

Got a shock today. I never look at wage slips as it's always the same. Checked online banking was £35 down on pay this week. Went and retrieved my pay slip and opened it, found that I was 30 hours basic as opposed to 32.5 since I started in 2012, and that 2.5 hours was removed in 'basic arrears' because last week when I got normal pay I assume that must've been 30 hours too?
I have no contract at the moment, my last one expired on Sep 16th. and like all before it was 32.5 hours. I am still working 32.5 nothing's changed, I have had no new contract, no notice of hours reduction, no word or note from any management, it's come completely out of the blue. WTF??
What do I do?
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Hours cut without me knowing?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Get onto the ARea Rep asap.

If you have received no replacement contract and continued to work beyond the expiry date then it becomes an implied contract and they can't reduce your hours without a new contract.

https://www.gov.uk/fixed-term-contracts ... m-contract" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Working longer than the contract’s end date
If an employee continues working past the end of a contract without it being formally renewed, there’s an ‘implied agreement’ by the employer that the end date has changed.

The employer still needs to give proper notice if they want to dismiss the worker.
changing your contract is a form of dismissal.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: Hours cut without me knowing?

Post by bustedflush »

Thanks very much. Hopefully there has merely been an error. The area rep's number is no longer valid and the office rep is not answering so I'll speak to DOM if he's in tomorrow. This is completely wrong. Never seen anything like this in my working life. :sad:
Justanotherstar
Posts: 351
Joined: 28 Dec 2012, 10:43
Gender: Male

Re: Hours cut without me knowing?

Post by Justanotherstar »

I have a question regarding contracts (sorry to hijack the thread lol)...I was taken on on a 10 hour contract, 5 hours over 2 days, Long story short the office that took me on didn't need me so I was sent to another office (although my contract is still held at the original office) when I got to the new office the manager suggested that i do my 10 hours on just 1 day (something I now regret - sometimes I get a nice shoot but working the full 10 hours usually kills me) my 3 month contract expired a couple of months ago and i'm assuming it has been renewed although I haven't received a new one, my question is Would I be able to go back to my original 5 hours over 2 days being that nothing was officially changed, obviously I would still start at 6am to do full walks or could just come in at 9 as per my contract if I am only needed for cut offs.

Cheers
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Hours cut without me knowing?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

No - in this case you have entered an implied contract because you are working it, and agreed it verbally.

However, I would certainly suggest speaking to the manager and explaining how exhausted you are after doing 10 hours, he may well be up for changing it as it will a little more flexibility for them.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: Hours cut without me knowing?

Post by bustedflush »

Ignoring the hijacker (try starting another thread my friend!) I have got an answer:
Apparently I was made permanent during my Rota Week last week. Nearly all the temps have been offered permanent 24's and there was one allocation of a 30-hr available which I got on account of being the first temp in line before the 5 or 6 others who came in after me who get 24 only. So something to be celebrated but in RM's strange way of communication (or lack thereof) they managed to turn even this good news into doubt and stress.
The DOM has stuck my missing hours down as O/T to be paid next week. I still haven't received the perm OPG contract yet. Like most, the walks in our office (prep and deliver with no IPS/manual sorting) are either 6 or 6.5 hours allocation. I get the 30 hours if put on a 6h and if put on a 6.5h I should automatically get 2.5 hours O/T from the system, but was advised to check each week the job-hours to make sure it gets put through OK.
I was pleased (I spoke to my lino just now who rang the DOM then rang me back to enlighten me regarding this mess!) to go permanent but did express my dismay at how it has been handled.... :crazy:

P.S. Thanks TBT for you quick reply and information before - I did quote a few of those facts to the lino... :Very Happy
Justanotherstar
Posts: 351
Joined: 28 Dec 2012, 10:43
Gender: Male

Re: Hours cut without me knowing?

Post by Justanotherstar »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:No - in this case you have entered an implied contract because you are working it, and agreed it verbally.

However, I would certainly suggest speaking to the manager and explaining how exhausted you are after doing 10 hours, he may well be up for changing it as it will a little more flexibility for them.

Ok thanks for the quick reply, i'll have a word.