ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Start/Finish time issue
-
davo04
- Posts: 25
- Joined: 24 Apr 2013, 22:41
- Gender: Male
Start/Finish time issue
Hi all, first time poster here.
Hypothetically, if I rang in sick one day but then started feeling better so wanted to go in, would I have to work from the time I went in until my normal finish time (say 3 o'clock) or would I have to work from the time I went in until X o'clock to make up the 7 hours I do a day?
Cheers
Hypothetically, if I rang in sick one day but then started feeling better so wanted to go in, would I have to work from the time I went in until my normal finish time (say 3 o'clock) or would I have to work from the time I went in until X o'clock to make up the 7 hours I do a day?
Cheers
-
IcanthelpthewayIam
- Posts: 4067
- Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
- Gender: Male
Re: Start/Finish time issue
you would probably be told to start back the next day unless they were short and then it would be up to you whether you worked yours full shift or till your finish time though dom could only insist on working your timedavo04 wrote:Hi all, first time poster here.
Hypothetically, if I rang in sick one day but then started feeling better so wanted to go in, would I have to work from the time I went in until my normal finish time (say 3 o'clock) or would I have to work from the time I went in until X o'clock to make up the 7 hours I do a day?
Cheers
-
davo04
- Posts: 25
- Joined: 24 Apr 2013, 22:41
- Gender: Male
Re: Start/Finish time issue
So, if I did go in then the DOM could only insist I work until my finish time, not after this to make the time up that was lost when I was feeling ill?
-
gluteus maximus
- Posts: 241
- Joined: 12 Oct 2013, 15:08
- Gender: Male
Re: Start/Finish time issue
You have no official finish time as such, you are paid xyz hours for that week. If you lose any hours for what ever reason then the employer will expect you to make up those paid for hours
-
davo04
- Posts: 25
- Joined: 24 Apr 2013, 22:41
- Gender: Male
Re: Start/Finish time issue
So if I was phoned by the DOM at say 12 midday and asked if I felt better, to which I said yes but hadn't fully recovered; I would be expected to go in to work to potentially do a full round (if there was no one to cover it), which would take me considerably past my finish time on that day and put me considerably out of my way considering I was ill only a few hours previously?
-
NewPostieUK
- Posts: 2104
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: SickAsAChipLand
Re: Start/Finish time issue
Three hours sick is three hours sick. You can't be expected to work from 12 til 8pm, or 11 to 7 or whatever.
So no, you wouldn't have to do a fully duty if you went in later, although knowing some managers..
So no, you wouldn't have to do a fully duty if you went in later, although knowing some managers..
-
NewPostieUK
- Posts: 2104
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: SickAsAChipLand
Re: Start/Finish time issue
gluteus maximus wrote:You have no official finish time as such, you are paid xyz hours for that week. If you lose any hours for what ever reason then the employer will expect you to make up those paid for hours
Really ?
So when do you make up these hours you lose when sick? Do you do 16 hour shifts? Work your hols? Have a week off then work the next 5 sundays to make up your hours?
-
Lincox
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3485
- Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
- Gender: Male
Re: Start/Finish time issue
This is not the case. Where have you got this information from. You have a weekly amount of contracted hours. These will be spread on a daily basis, either evenly or if your unit have agreed to Longs and Shorts then the time will be spread differently according to what has been agreed. These times then become your daily contracted hours and the employer cannot force you to work beyond these times or force you to bank hours that are unused from a previous day as there is no agreement for this between Royal Mail and the CWU.gluteus maximus wrote:You have no official finish time as such, you are paid xyz hours for that week. If you lose any hours for what ever reason then the employer will expect you to make up those paid for hours
-
postslippete
- Posts: 4194
- Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
- Gender: Male
Re: Start/Finish time issue
If you rang in sick, your lino would have to make arrangements to get the duty covered
So when you turn up late and the duty is covered, they will probably tell you to go home. Then class your absence as sick and tell you to return tomorrow
So when you turn up late and the duty is covered, they will probably tell you to go home. Then class your absence as sick and tell you to return tomorrow
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: Start/Finish time issue
Hypothetically, if you rang in sick with a nasty hangover one morning but then started feeling better after a couple of
s so and went in you DOM may well be so appreciative of your commitment that he would grant you the same 'home time' as all your colleagues. 
-
Brainache
- Posts: 394
- Joined: 30 Jul 2010, 21:37
- Gender: Male
Re: Start/Finish time issue
Rubbish.gluteus maximus wrote:You have no official finish time as such, you are paid xyz hours for that week. If you lose any hours for what ever reason then the employer will expect you to make up those paid for hours
Part of a day sick leave and then work to your time - sorting, taking late mail out, kill offs etc.
I dont think glut even works for RM.
-
gluteus maximus
- Posts: 241
- Joined: 12 Oct 2013, 15:08
- Gender: Male
Re: Start/Finish time issue
if i was say three hours late for my duty through sickness, and came into work after reporting sick . i would make those three hours up informally rather than have a part day sick absence recorded against me. That is what i am saying as to making up your paid for hours
-
hampshireman
- Posts: 792
- Joined: 18 Dec 2009, 15:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Start/Finish time issue
Really?gluteus maximus wrote:You have no official finish time as such, you are paid xyz hours for that week. If you lose any hours for what ever reason then the employer will expect you to make up those paid for hours
Methinks you are wrong
-
Lincox
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3485
- Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
- Gender: Male
Re: Start/Finish time issue
I believe in the past when I have come into work and then gone home sick, as long as half the duty has been completed there is no absence recorded against you. Might have changed with the new sickness rules but worth checking.gluteus maximus wrote:if i was say three hours late for my duty through sickness, and came into work after reporting sick . i would make those three hours up informally rather than have a part day sick absence recorded against me. That is what i am saying as to making up your paid for hours