ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Some quick advice

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
meechan13
Posts: 6
Joined: 05 Feb 2014, 19:41
Gender: Male

Some quick advice

Post by meechan13 »

I've been a postman now for about 9months on a 15 hour contract . I had a six month contract then a new 3 month one due to end soon . On average I'm working 55-65 hours a week. . Today im down for a collection only but this morning one of my managers phoned me telling me I had to Come In this morning my start Time had changed . I could not make it this morning I have appointments and commitments before my collection this afternoon . He has threatened me on the phone saying I will be in to see the higher manager and I have to come in no matter what when they phone . They phoned at 6 and wanted me in for 7 . He said my contract says I have to Come in when they say but surely this can't be correct , especially not with an hours notice . Normally I would of went in but today I couldn't . He further went on to say he can end my contract at anytime for not doing this even though I'm doing sometimes 4 times my weekly hours . After our heated discussion on the phone I'll be due to see him at half two for my collection and I would like to be as clued up as possible before I go in .
Thanks in advance
korky
Posts: 797
Joined: 30 Dec 2007, 09:28

Re: Some quick advice

Post by korky »

afraid those in "the know" will probably still be out before your shift starts,
are you in the cwu? if so call them, and don't go in alone, try and get a witness.
i always thought they had to give 24hrs notice to alter your hours, read through your contract to look what it says.
good luck
meechan13
Posts: 6
Joined: 05 Feb 2014, 19:41
Gender: Male

Re: Some quick advice

Post by meechan13 »

I phoned my cwu rep this morning and he didn't seem to worried by it and said if I had something on then that was fine . Hard not to worry when my contract is up for renewal soon though .
For nine months they really have worked me into the ground with the hours I've been doing then i genuinely can't make it they threaten to get rid of me . I've been bailing out our incompetent managers for 9 months at the drop of a hat and now this .
Was very angered by it this morning and just needing some solid information to make my case when I see management
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Re: Some quick advice

Post by rehabron »

meechan13 wrote:I've been a postman now for about 9months on a 15 hour contract . I had a six month contract then a new 3 month one due to end soon . On average I'm working 55-65 hours a week. . Today im down for a collection only but this morning one of my managers phoned me telling me I had to Come In this morning my start Time had changed . I could not make it this morning I have appointments and commitments before my collection this afternoon . He has threatened me on the phone saying I will be in to see the higher manager and I have to come in no matter what when they phone . They phoned at 6 and wanted me in for 7 . He said my contract says I have to Come in when they say but surely this can't be correct , especially not with an hours notice . Normally I would of went in but today I couldn't . He further went on to say he can end my contract at anytime for not doing this even though I'm doing sometimes 4 times my weekly hours . After our heated discussion on the phone I'll be due to see him at half two for my collection and I would like to be as clued up as possible before I go in .
Thanks in advance
As far as you were aware that on checking the duties for today you were listed for a collection commencing at 14.30 hours. To phone you at home at 6am requesting that you attend at 7am is unreasonable and insufficient notice for you to make any personal or domestic arrangements for you to accommodate RM for this unexpected attendance.
If you are interviewed by this manager on this matter when you arrive for work today request that the interview be postponed until you have a witness in attendance preferably your union rep with regards to manger's comments to you on phone.
Having regularly worked over 3 times your contracted hours you have been very obliging and this should be noted.
With your track record of the volume of hours that you work you are the type of employee that RM are looking for and as we are getting closer to Christmas pressure then I can't see DOM not renewing your 3 month contract when it ends.
meechan13
Posts: 6
Joined: 05 Feb 2014, 19:41
Gender: Male

Re: Some quick advice

Post by meechan13 »

Rehabron thank you for your help
I'll take all that on board when I go in soon
gluteus maximus
Posts: 241
Joined: 12 Oct 2013, 15:08
Gender: Male

Re: Some quick advice

Post by gluteus maximus »

Why are you working 60 hours a week, have you opted out of the working time Directive, How many hours a day are you working??

Do you think those overtime hours are not better suited in making up another duty or extending existing contracted hours??
meechan13
Posts: 6
Joined: 05 Feb 2014, 19:41
Gender: Male

Re: Some quick advice

Post by meechan13 »

I didn't opt out .
We are very short staffed and I've been doing prep/delivery/collection(a later finishing one ) 5 days a week more often than not , I work the most hours in our office just now through no choice of my own . Being the newish guy when the shifts are up I feel I just have to get on with it .
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Some quick advice

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

meechan13 wrote:I didn't opt out .
We are very short staffed and I've been doing prep/delivery/collection(a later finishing one ) 5 days a week more often than not , I work the most hours in our office just now through no choice of my own . Being the newish guy when the shifts are up I feel I just have to get on with it .

If you haven't opted out of the Working Time Directive then your manager is incompetent as by law they can't make you, nor should you work more than an average of 48 hours a week in a 17 week period.

Any decent Rep, or knowledgeable postie would blow this out of the water. Even if your contract was open ended and they were allowed to alter your start and finish times at short notice, it would have to be reasonable, and it would have to take into account your own personal circumstances. Basically, he has cocked up and is trying to dig himself out of a hole by bullying you.

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2006/n ... opeanunion" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
So what are the rights?

Employees have the right to:
· A maximum working week of 48 hours
· A rest period of 11 consecutive hours a day
· A rest break when the day is longer than six hours
· A minimum of one rest day per week
· The statutory right to four weeks' holiday
The individual opt-out comes with conditions: employees have to formally agree to waive their right to work a maximum of 48 hours a week, and a refusal to do so cannot entail negative consequences.
Employees who opt to work longer than 48 hours a week are subject to a cap of 60 hours, although this is worked out as an average across three months, allowing them to work for even longer in busier periods.

Employers will no longer be allowed to ask staff to sign waivers within one month of beginning employment, and will not be permitted to penalise staff who refuse to work longer or who later decide to opt out.

Employers must also keep records when the working hours of opted-out workers exceed 48 hours a week.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
meechan13
Posts: 6
Joined: 05 Feb 2014, 19:41
Gender: Male

Re: Some quick advice

Post by meechan13 »

Thank you trueblueterrier
All your help has been great
spiderj
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 969
Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
Gender: Male
Location: ctp

Re: Some quick advice

Post by spiderj »

Hope you get on okay mate.

Guy sounds like a right walloper.

As stated...read up on working time directive

We are not on zero hours/short notice contracts.

If he is threatening you with a higher manager and it does seem to be a threat in your case.

Email "just say it" it gets passed to a DSM...sometimes.

Most of all keep your cool,record everything and have witnesses.

And unless you need the cash...calm down with the hours..it can't be healthy.

I was doing the same until I nearly burnt out.

Do some ot but not much now.
:thumbup
I won
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: Some quick advice

Post by bustedflush »

FTC's are designed for operational needs not for bullying/blackmail although unfortunately this occurs. There are set procedures for terminating FTC's and seniority applies across the board. if you have had others come in after you on FTC's they would have to have a bloody good reason (usually disciplinary) to end yours first - and this ain't one of them!
If you've been working 50 hours and your rota week/holiday is being paid at basic FTC hours this is yet another example of RM getting FT employees with the fixed-costs of a PT employee and the Union should be on to this, ensuring your FTC hours are increased. Ringing you at an hour's notice is not acceptable, even Zero-hour people get more notice than that.

Welcome to RM!
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Some quick advice

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

bustedflush wrote: If you've been working 50 hours and your rota week/holiday is being paid at basic FTC hours this is yet another example of RM getting FT employees with the fixed-costs of a PT employee and the Union should be on to this,!

http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 18&t=65706" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
cliffeyhez
Posts: 98
Joined: 03 Oct 2011, 04:07
Gender: Male

Re: Some quick advice

Post by cliffeyhez »

All good advice, but I would also consider submitting a Grievance against your Manager for Bullying and Harrassment!
meechan13
Posts: 6
Joined: 05 Feb 2014, 19:41
Gender: Male

Re: Some quick advice

Post by meechan13 »

Thanks for all your help guys , I'm in too see a higher manager (no idea what his exact title is now seems to change on a weekly basis ) tomorrow so I've took everything on board and with my Union rep tomorrow we have a meeting . I'll keep you informed of how it goes . my rep seems confident that I've done nothing wrong so hopefully clear things up in the morning .
This completely sickened me today , it's the last I'll be putting in so many hours for them
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: Some quick advice

Post by bustedflush »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
bustedflush wrote: If you've been working 50 hours and your rota week/holiday is being paid at basic FTC hours this is yet another example of RM getting FT employees with the fixed-costs of a PT employee and the Union should be on to this,!

http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 18&t=65706" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes thanks I was aware of that one but the resolution seems pie in the sky at present. The union is taking the lead from a ruling here, whereas they should have been proactive on this subject years ago as regards just the basic contract/hours the person works when they regularly exceed them.