ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Start/Finish time issue

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
davo04
Posts: 25
Joined: 24 Apr 2013, 22:41
Gender: Male

Start/Finish time issue

Post by davo04 »

Hi all, first time poster here.

Hypothetically, if I rang in sick one day but then started feeling better so wanted to go in, would I have to work from the time I went in until my normal finish time (say 3 o'clock) or would I have to work from the time I went in until X o'clock to make up the 7 hours I do a day?

Cheers
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: Start/Finish time issue

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

davo04 wrote:Hi all, first time poster here.

Hypothetically, if I rang in sick one day but then started feeling better so wanted to go in, would I have to work from the time I went in until my normal finish time (say 3 o'clock) or would I have to work from the time I went in until X o'clock to make up the 7 hours I do a day?

Cheers
you would probably be told to start back the next day unless they were short and then it would be up to you whether you worked yours full shift or till your finish time though dom could only insist on working your time
davo04
Posts: 25
Joined: 24 Apr 2013, 22:41
Gender: Male

Re: Start/Finish time issue

Post by davo04 »

So, if I did go in then the DOM could only insist I work until my finish time, not after this to make the time up that was lost when I was feeling ill?
gluteus maximus
Posts: 241
Joined: 12 Oct 2013, 15:08
Gender: Male

Re: Start/Finish time issue

Post by gluteus maximus »

You have no official finish time as such, you are paid xyz hours for that week. If you lose any hours for what ever reason then the employer will expect you to make up those paid for hours
davo04
Posts: 25
Joined: 24 Apr 2013, 22:41
Gender: Male

Re: Start/Finish time issue

Post by davo04 »

So if I was phoned by the DOM at say 12 midday and asked if I felt better, to which I said yes but hadn't fully recovered; I would be expected to go in to work to potentially do a full round (if there was no one to cover it), which would take me considerably past my finish time on that day and put me considerably out of my way considering I was ill only a few hours previously?
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Re: Start/Finish time issue

Post by NewPostieUK »

Three hours sick is three hours sick. You can't be expected to work from 12 til 8pm, or 11 to 7 or whatever.

So no, you wouldn't have to do a fully duty if you went in later, although knowing some managers..
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Re: Start/Finish time issue

Post by NewPostieUK »

gluteus maximus wrote:You have no official finish time as such, you are paid xyz hours for that week. If you lose any hours for what ever reason then the employer will expect you to make up those paid for hours

Really ? :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
So when do you make up these hours you lose when sick? Do you do 16 hour shifts? Work your hols? Have a week off then work the next 5 sundays to make up your hours?
Lincox
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3485
Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
Gender: Male

Re: Start/Finish time issue

Post by Lincox »

gluteus maximus wrote:You have no official finish time as such, you are paid xyz hours for that week. If you lose any hours for what ever reason then the employer will expect you to make up those paid for hours
This is not the case. Where have you got this information from. You have a weekly amount of contracted hours. These will be spread on a daily basis, either evenly or if your unit have agreed to Longs and Shorts then the time will be spread differently according to what has been agreed. These times then become your daily contracted hours and the employer cannot force you to work beyond these times or force you to bank hours that are unused from a previous day as there is no agreement for this between Royal Mail and the CWU.
postslippete
Posts: 4194
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Re: Start/Finish time issue

Post by postslippete »

If you rang in sick, your lino would have to make arrangements to get the duty covered

So when you turn up late and the duty is covered, they will probably tell you to go home. Then class your absence as sick and tell you to return tomorrow
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Start/Finish time issue

Post by Lounge Lizard »

Hypothetically, if you rang in sick with a nasty hangover one morning but then started feeling better after a couple of :cuppa :cuppa s so and went in you DOM may well be so appreciative of your commitment that he would grant you the same 'home time' as all your colleagues. :Very Happy
Brainache
Posts: 394
Joined: 30 Jul 2010, 21:37
Gender: Male

Re: Start/Finish time issue

Post by Brainache »

gluteus maximus wrote:You have no official finish time as such, you are paid xyz hours for that week. If you lose any hours for what ever reason then the employer will expect you to make up those paid for hours
Rubbish.
Part of a day sick leave and then work to your time - sorting, taking late mail out, kill offs etc.
I dont think glut even works for RM.
gluteus maximus
Posts: 241
Joined: 12 Oct 2013, 15:08
Gender: Male

Re: Start/Finish time issue

Post by gluteus maximus »

if i was say three hours late for my duty through sickness, and came into work after reporting sick . i would make those three hours up informally rather than have a part day sick absence recorded against me. That is what i am saying as to making up your paid for hours
hampshireman
Posts: 792
Joined: 18 Dec 2009, 15:17
Gender: Male

Re: Start/Finish time issue

Post by hampshireman »

gluteus maximus wrote:You have no official finish time as such, you are paid xyz hours for that week. If you lose any hours for what ever reason then the employer will expect you to make up those paid for hours
Really?

Methinks you are wrong
Lincox
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3485
Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
Gender: Male

Re: Start/Finish time issue

Post by Lincox »

gluteus maximus wrote:if i was say three hours late for my duty through sickness, and came into work after reporting sick . i would make those three hours up informally rather than have a part day sick absence recorded against me. That is what i am saying as to making up your paid for hours
I believe in the past when I have come into work and then gone home sick, as long as half the duty has been completed there is no absence recorded against you. Might have changed with the new sickness rules but worth checking.