ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
LIFE!! after Royal Mail
-
i luv saturdays
- Posts: 1
- Joined: 02 Oct 2014, 22:22
- Gender: Female
LIFE!! after Royal Mail
6 months since I resigned from RM.... [10 year service] I earn less money.....I miss the banter ever so slightly
I don't work Saturdays anymore, I have loads more energy, I don't feel stressed anymore, I'm smiling more
I have a social life again, I can get to the footie on a Saturday, I never get piss wet through anymore
I feel like a new person I can do things with family and friend I couldn't do before......My honest opinion
is that you don't realise what an awful "donkey work job" it is being a postman until you get out!.....really crap job.....just my opinion!!
I don't work Saturdays anymore, I have loads more energy, I don't feel stressed anymore, I'm smiling more
I have a social life again, I can get to the footie on a Saturday, I never get piss wet through anymore
I feel like a new person I can do things with family and friend I couldn't do before......My honest opinion
is that you don't realise what an awful "donkey work job" it is being a postman until you get out!.....really crap job.....just my opinion!!
-
houseoflords
- Posts: 352
- Joined: 06 Feb 2012, 22:25
- Gender: Male
Re: LIFE!! after Royal Mail
I agree, it's a s**t Hole, no matter how much they tell me how great it is, I'm not convinced even a tiny bit
-
chickenwittle
- Posts: 2094
- Joined: 15 Nov 2009, 09:43
- Gender: Male
Re: LIFE!! after Royal Mail
yeah thanks for that ,cant wait to get to work in the morning,enjoy your weekend.
-
El-Bandito
- Posts: 313
- Joined: 27 Jan 2009, 14:14
- Gender: Male
Re: LIFE!! after Royal Mail
No sh*t Sherlock. Just a shame that RM have reneged on their promise of more Saturdays off, more family friendly hours. more days in lieu I could go on and on and on with this.i luv saturdays wrote:6 months since I resigned from RM.... [10 year service] I earn less money.....I miss the banter ever so slightly
I don't work Saturdays anymore, I have loads more energy, I don't feel stressed anymore, I'm smiling more
I have a social life again, I can get to the footie on a Saturday, I never get piss wet through anymore
I feel like a new person I can do things with family and friend I couldn't do before......My honest opinion
is that you don't realise what an awful "donkey work job" it is being a postman until you get out!.....really crap job.....just my opinion!!
-
halfull
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 858
- Joined: 22 Jan 2011, 13:37
- Gender: Male
Re: LIFE!! after Royal Mail
out of interest what are you doing for work now?i luv saturdays wrote:6 months since I resigned from RM.... [10 year service] I earn less money.....I miss the banter ever so slightly
I don't work Saturdays anymore, I have loads more energy, I don't feel stressed anymore, I'm smiling more
I have a social life again, I can get to the footie on a Saturday, I never get piss wet through anymore
I feel like a new person I can do things with family and friend I couldn't do before......My honest opinion
is that you don't realise what an awful "donkey work job" it is being a postman until you get out!.....really crap job.....just my opinion!!
Glad your happy pal!
-
Edward Hunter
- Posts: 679
- Joined: 23 May 2007, 22:30
Re: LIFE!! after Royal Mail
yeah what you up to now? If you earn less than RM wages it cant be that great. And most on here couldnt live on even less money.
-
Nondescript
- Posts: 232
- Joined: 29 Nov 2013, 16:25
- Gender: Male
Re: LIFE!! after Royal Mail
There's probably a fair few on here working five-day weeks on 20, 24 or 25 hour contracts (mlself included), with little chance of any overtime except for the odd twenty minutes here and there. SO while the hourly rate at RM might be ok, we hardly come away at the end of the week with a living wage.Edward Hunter wrote:yeah what you up to now? If you earn less than RM wages it cant be that great. And most on here couldnt live on even less money.
-
postypie
- Posts: 435
- Joined: 18 Mar 2012, 19:37
- Gender: Male
Re: LIFE!! after Royal Mail
halfull wrote:out of interest what are you doing for work now?i luv saturdays wrote:6 months since I resigned from RM.... [10 year service] I earn less money.....I miss the banter ever so slightly
I don't work Saturdays anymore, I have loads more energy, I don't feel stressed anymore, I'm smiling more
I have a social life again, I can get to the footie on a Saturday, I never get piss wet through anymore
I feel like a new person I can do things with family and friend I couldn't do before......My honest opinion
is that you don't realise what an awful "donkey work job" it is being a postman until you get out!.....really crap job.....just my opinion!!
Glad your happy pal!
He works for TNT.
-
OnAFlyer
- Posts: 1938
- Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
- Gender: Male
Re: LIFE!! after Royal Mail
You obviously didn't like the job seeing as you left, so it's natural you would prefer doing something else.
I've spent the last 17 years being able to do things that my mates can't because of my work hours, yes we work Saturdays but so do a lot of other people.
I can't help thinking how completely out of shape some people must be if this job totally knackers them out every day.
I've spent the last 17 years being able to do things that my mates can't because of my work hours, yes we work Saturdays but so do a lot of other people.
I can't help thinking how completely out of shape some people must be if this job totally knackers them out every day.
-
cyrus
- Posts: 215
- Joined: 09 Mar 2010, 20:38
- Gender: Male
Re: LIFE!! after Royal Mail
Depends on your walk though- 4 hour 30 mins of constant flats. I know plenty of ex army,international class athlete's etc that struggle to do the job in my office.OnAFlyer wrote:You obviously didn't like the job seeing as you left, so it's natural you would prefer doing something else.
I've spent the last 17 years being able to do things that my mates can't because of my work hours, yes we work Saturdays but so do a lot of other people.
I can't help thinking how completely out of shape some people must be if this job totally knackers them out every day.
-
krussel
- Posts: 5300
- Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
- Gender: Male
- Location: Out on the streets.
Re: LIFE!! after Royal Mail
I have heard this "better life outside" before though, more than once.
Some days I really enjoy the walking around but others I feel its a waste of life.
Suspect there are many other jobs like that though.
Some days I really enjoy the walking around but others I feel its a waste of life.
Suspect there are many other jobs like that though.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
-
DirtyHarry
- Posts: 5051
- Joined: 13 May 2007, 23:16
- Gender: Male
- Location: London
Re: LIFE!! after Royal Mail
Jealous, doesn't cover even half what I'm feeling. But, well done on improving your working life.i luv saturdays wrote:6 months since I resigned from RM.... [10 year service] I earn less money.....I miss the banter ever so slightly
I don't work Saturdays anymore, I have loads more energy, I don't feel stressed anymore, I'm smiling more
I have a social life again, I can get to the footie on a Saturday, I never get piss wet through anymore
I feel like a new person I can do things with family and friend I couldn't do before......My honest opinion
is that you don't realise what an awful "donkey work job" it is being a postman until you get out!.....really crap job.....just my opinion!!
-
Judgee
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2262
- Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18
Re: LIFE!! after Royal Mail
OnAFlyer wrote:
I can't help thinking how completely out of shape some people must be if this job totally knackers them out every day.
I can't help thinking what an easy walk you must have to think like that!
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
-
Dalelad
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 62
- Joined: 09 May 2013, 21:10
- Gender: Male
Re: LIFE!! after Royal Mail
I'm already feeling better and I only finished last Saturday. Just been paid to sit on my ass on the back of a training bus all week learning some of the routes. Classroom next week for learning theory and hazard perception. I know its gunna be shift work but it feels great to be full time permanent and be on a better hourly rate. Also having 2 days off every week will feel like a holiday after having to work 6 days every week at RM just to try and make my hours up. Trust me, the grass is greener on the other side if you can find the right job for you. No harm in looking while you still at RM. They advertising for more posties soon at DO i've just left as theres a few of us part timers jumping ship. What really annoys me that in the postman/woman with driving vacancies advert, it states that there are excellent career prospects!! what a load of tosh. Its a dead end job pure and simple. I wouldn't recommend that job to anyone. Its funny though that since i've left, i'm still avin a look in here to see whats going on. I think i'm still yet to see a positive post on here which speaks volumes really!
-
Cedar_Room
- Posts: 826
- Joined: 31 Aug 2007, 14:09
Re: LIFE!! after Royal Mail
Different strokes for different folks.
I'm full time so the money's ok & I don't have to rely on any docket to boost my wage plus I've been lucky that due to the hours we work I've been able to pick both of my daughters up from pre-school & school.
Working Saturdays is a pain but I prefer it to working shifts which I did for over a decade in a former job.
I'm in my 40's now & enjoy the exercise & getting outside in the fresh air,some days it's a grind but in my experience that's the same in every job.
I get on well with the lad I work with,both use the correct equipment & don't rush.
The job isn't great & we all have our bad days but do I wake up every morning & dread going in,no?!
I'm full time so the money's ok & I don't have to rely on any docket to boost my wage plus I've been lucky that due to the hours we work I've been able to pick both of my daughters up from pre-school & school.
Working Saturdays is a pain but I prefer it to working shifts which I did for over a decade in a former job.
I'm in my 40's now & enjoy the exercise & getting outside in the fresh air,some days it's a grind but in my experience that's the same in every job.
I get on well with the lad I work with,both use the correct equipment & don't rush.
The job isn't great & we all have our bad days but do I wake up every morning & dread going in,no?!
“Shorts,in this weather?!”
“If they’re bills I don’t want ‘em!”
“What’s she been ordering now?”
“If they’re bills I don’t want ‘em!”
“What’s she been ordering now?”