ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Total knee replacement !!

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
carole123
Posts: 3
Joined: 23 Feb 2010, 20:54
Gender: Female

Total knee replacement !!

Post by carole123 »

Hi, guys and gals,
Have never posted before so here goes. After having an arthroscopy on my left knee in 2012 and then again on my right knee in March this year, I am having a knee replacement on my left knee in 2 weeks time, my question is, are there any posties out there, that has had a knee replacement and have gone back on delivery without any trouble.....can they still do a full delivery ? seeing rounds have increased. The OH doctor said I could not go out on delivery with one knee replacement, but could with 2 !!, so looks as though might be offered IHR, I have been a delivery postie for 9 years,
bogues2009
Posts: 87
Joined: 27 Jan 2007, 16:20

Re: Total knee replacement !!

Post by bogues2009 »

postie in our DO have had 2 knee replecements on the same leg..went back on duty..he overstrained it and doctor said they will have to amputate his leg just above knee as there was an infection..
carole123
Posts: 3
Joined: 23 Feb 2010, 20:54
Gender: Female

Re: Total knee replacement !!

Post by carole123 »

Poor bugger, ..... not to overdo it then,... , I have been worried about infections myself !!
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Total knee replacement !!

Post by dvbuk55 »

carole123 wrote:Poor bugger, ..... not to overdo it then,... , I have been worried about infections myself !!
And you aren't alone, my knee has been buggered for 12 years since I was 56 and was told I needed a new knee before that, but I would have to wait until I was 60 - well I'm just shy of 68 and have never had the replacement because I'm more worried about catching something whilst I'm in the hospital. :shock:
savo
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 411
Joined: 05 Feb 2009, 20:54
Gender: Male

Re: Total knee replacement !!

Post by savo »

Same here, had ACL reconstruction about a dozen years ago ( luckily was in BUPA at time via work )

Its started creaking lately, but after seeing the state of my (late) old man after he was ravaged by MRSA, theres no way I am risking an op on the NHS
'Dear chief secretary, I'm afraid to tell you there's no money left,' ( Liam Byrne MP )
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Total knee replacement !!

Post by krussel »

bogues2009 wrote:postie in our DO have had 2 knee replecements on the same leg..went back on duty..he overstrained it and doctor said they will have to amputate his leg just above knee as there was an infection..
Holy crap is that for real. :shock: :shock:
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Total knee replacement !!

Post by krussel »

carole123 wrote:Hi, guys and gals,
Have never posted before so here goes. After having an arthroscopy on my left knee in 2012 and then again on my right knee in March this year, I am having a knee replacement on my left knee in 2 weeks time, my question is, are there any posties out there, that has had a knee replacement and have gone back on delivery without any trouble.....can they still do a full delivery ? seeing rounds have increased. The OH doctor said I could not go out on delivery with one knee replacement, but could with 2 !!, so looks as though might be offered IHR, I have been a delivery postie for 9 years,

Hello carole. If you can take a step back from the situation (no pun intended) and ask yourself what advice would you give someone asking that question.

I am sorry but looking the way the job is going I would say that for delivery work its game over :sad:

However before you look at IHR explore other options for different duties. Get your rep involved. I wish you the best.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
carole123
Posts: 3
Joined: 23 Feb 2010, 20:54
Gender: Female

Re: Total knee replacement !!

Post by carole123 »

Heres an update for you, I have now just received a formal stage 3 dissmissal interview,....... just a few days before my operation !!
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Re: Total knee replacement !!

Post by DB1100 »

carole123 wrote:Heres an update for you, I have now just received a formal stage 3 dissmissal interview,....... just a few days before my operation !!
A bit different to the rosy picture they paint of RM in the courier,what a sh1t firm we work for.
For we were soldiers once,and young