ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Second Job

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
abbo75
Posts: 27
Joined: 04 Jun 2007, 13:14
Location: Norfolk

Second Job

Post by abbo75 »

I have been offered a second job in addition to my full time OPG role. It is delivering for Hermes which I could do in the afternoons. I need the extra funds, can anyone see a problem with this?
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16692
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: Second Job

Post by clashcityrocker »

Yes.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
postmanplod69
Posts: 146
Joined: 04 Sep 2007, 21:52
Location: at my frame

Re: Second Job

Post by postmanplod69 »

Conflict of interests ?
Rory
Posts: 90
Joined: 09 Aug 2012, 12:42
Gender: Male

Re: Second Job

Post by Rory »

Are you trolling? You'd be sacked, read your contract. :crazy:
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Re: Second Job

Post by aiden01 »

Rory wrote:Are you trolling? You'd be sacked, read your contract. :crazy:
he is hardly trolling if he joined this site june 2007 :crazy:
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Re: Second Job

Post by aiden01 »

aiden01 wrote:
Rory wrote:Are you trolling? You'd be sacked, read your contract. :crazy:
he is hardly trolling if he joined this site june 2007 :crazy:
sorry or maybe she :Very Happy
doorstepped
Posts: 1063
Joined: 10 Oct 2011, 23:17
Gender: Male
Location: Somewhere west of London

Re: Second Job

Post by doorstepped »

your contract will state that you can't work for a company that is in direct competition with RM.

not got me contract to hand but it probably says that you can't for a certain length of time after your employment ends either ( but like I say, not sure on this one, but was in my contract when I left Securicor Omega Expess a few years ago )
wabbithunta
Posts: 872
Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 18:39
Gender: Male
Location: On Planet Earth... Unlike the people who run RM!

Re: Second Job

Post by wabbithunta »

Question answered and sorted.. 'scuse the pun! :crazy:
"Better to die on your feet than live a life time on your knees"
spiderj
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 969
Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
Gender: Male
Location: ctp

Re: Second Job

Post by spiderj »

Non compete only applied when employed by RM

That's why I'm nice to all the other couriers when I see them

Might be joining them one day
I won
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Second Job

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

The exact wording:

Employment

4. Your employment with Royal Mail is a Part Time Occupation. You must not engage in any other employment such that you would be unable to meet your contractual obligations to Royal Mail. Further, any additional hours of work you may perform for another employer aggregated with those which you perform under this contract must not exceed the limits which apply under the Working Time Regulations 1998 or any agreements which relate to working time. You must not be involved in or have an interest in the activities of any organisation whose business is in competition with that of Royal Mail or any of its business units or subsidiaries and must advise Royal Mail of any other employment which you hold or intend to take.

This is from my contract written in 2004 so references to publications may be out of date, but the essence of the contract clause remains.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
abbo75
Posts: 27
Joined: 04 Jun 2007, 13:14
Location: Norfolk

Re: Second Job

Post by abbo75 »

Thanks guys for clarifying the issue, I thought there would be issues with it. I'll pass it on to the wife then, she wants to do it now so its a win win situation for me.
maisymoo04
Posts: 2226
Joined: 07 Apr 2010, 17:11
Gender: Male
Location: You dont want to no

Re: Second Job

Post by maisymoo04 »

abbo75 wrote:I have been offered a second job in addition to my full time OPG role. It is delivering for Hermes which I could do in the afternoons. I need the extra funds, can anyone see a problem with this?
Hermes?? You having a laff here you shouldn't be allowed to wear a royal mail uniform . just like one of us working for whistl (TNT) I no its f@@@ all to do with me what you do but talk about shi@@ on someone's doorstep :no no :no no :thumbdown
"Some day I will have the bottle to take the money"
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Second Job

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

bit of an OTT reaction to an honest question maisymoo04
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
abbo75
Posts: 27
Joined: 04 Jun 2007, 13:14
Location: Norfolk

Re: Second Job

Post by abbo75 »

Thanks Maisymoo for your comments which I'll take on board and then forget instantly! Best you get back to getting drunk and chasing women, much more worthwhile I'm sure.
Rory
Posts: 90
Joined: 09 Aug 2012, 12:42
Gender: Male

Re: Second Job

Post by Rory »

aiden01 wrote:
Rory wrote:Are you trolling? You'd be sacked, read your contract. :crazy:
he is hardly trolling if he joined this site june 2007 :crazy:
Like that has anything to do with it.