ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

lapsing proceedure

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

lapsing proceedure

Post by eastie »

Seems a grey area
We had 8 packet bags of parcels today on P/L between us plus the big parcels and we left our double lapsing behind as we had absolutely no chance of doing it in our allotted time before cut off
Gets a call from DOM saying " you have forgotten your lapsing"
Problem is that how the hell do you know when you are going to finish with so many parcels. You don't know how many are going to be in, how many 739's you are going to fill out.
I say to the DOM I will do my round and come back and if I have time I will do the lapsing, but he wants me to take it out with me and then he fooks off and the lino then gets arsy when you ring up saying you are bringing it back as by then all the runners/early starters have gone home.
You get moaned at by management for not doing lapsing and they say "Oh its only 20 minutes" but bollox I work to live, not live to work and will not go over
holly123
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 220
Joined: 24 Jan 2012, 12:45
Gender: Male

Re: lapsing proceedure

Post by holly123 »

it should be done day by day and down to the discretion of the postie ,we get asked what time was we done yesterday meaning Tuesday but that's not my problem ,its not my fault royal mail cant level the work load over the week ,lad in our office asked area union rep and he said they cant bank hours from lighter days don't they pi.. you right off :arrrghhh
ganda
Posts: 131
Joined: 16 Dec 2011, 22:24
Gender: Male

Re: lapsing proceedure

Post by ganda »

Correct procedure: If you think you will not be able to finish with the lapsing included, tell manger before you go out. The ball is then in their court. If you can't finish, when your on delivery, give them a ring to tell them so. Do you part and you should be safe.
Richard007
Posts: 84
Joined: 09 Mar 2010, 20:34
Gender: Male

Re: lapsing proceedure

Post by Richard007 »

ganda wrote:Correct procedure: If you think you will not be able to finish with the lapsing included, tell manger before you go out. The ball is then in their court. If you can't finish, when your on delivery, give them a ring to tell them so. Do you part and you should be safe.
Well where are we supposed to ring them from ? there are no call boxs anymore & don't have a mobile if I did it's not right me paying to ring them !
I take lapsing on Tuesday & Saturday & maybe if workload permits I will take it on other days but mostly my round goes into extended delivery anyway so I just tell manager before I leave office , really annoying though that some posties come in 30 -40 mins early so they do their lapsing & make the rest of us seem lazy
A2B
Posts: 2025
Joined: 25 Feb 2009, 19:34
Gender: Male

Re: lapsing proceedure

Post by A2B »

Richard007 wrote: Well where are we supposed to ring them from ? there are no call boxs anymore & don't have a mobile if I did it's not right me paying to ring them !
I take lapsing on Tuesday & Saturday & maybe if workload permits I will take it on other days but mostly my round goes into extended delivery anyway so I just tell manager before I leave office , really annoying though that some posties come in 30 -40 mins early so they do their lapsing & make the rest of us seem lazy
People using their own phones to contact managers is one thing that really annoys me and i see mentioned on here very often, they are employed to manage let them decide before you go out what you should take or leave behind. If they want us to contact them they need to supply the means and before it's mentioned we have not been shown how to use the phone function on the pda and were told from the start not to use it for calls.
halfull
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 858
Joined: 22 Jan 2011, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: lapsing proceedure

Post by halfull »

A2B wrote:
Richard007 wrote: Well where are we supposed to ring them from ? there are no call boxs anymore & don't have a mobile if I did it's not right me paying to ring them !
I take lapsing on Tuesday & Saturday & maybe if workload permits I will take it on other days but mostly my round goes into extended delivery anyway so I just tell manager before I leave office , really annoying though that some posties come in 30 -40 mins early so they do their lapsing & make the rest of us seem lazy
People using their own phones to contact managers is one thing that really annoys me and i see mentioned on here very often, they are employed to manage let them decide before you go out what you should take or leave behind. If they want us to contact them they need to supply the means and before it's mentioned we have not been shown how to use the phone function on the pda and were told from the start not to use it for calls.
very good, but forgotten point!
siddy
Posts: 47
Joined: 12 Apr 2011, 20:50
Gender: Male

Re: lapsing proceedure

Post by siddy »

Lapsing Finished on 30 August why are people still doing it havent they got reps in there office :crazy:
Hitcher
Posts: 1530
Joined: 20 Sep 2009, 09:59
Gender: Male

Re: lapsing proceedure

Post by Hitcher »

Summer lapsing has finished, now we're on Autumn lapsing!
raikky
Posts: 212
Joined: 19 Jun 2011, 01:09
Gender: Female

Re: lapsing proceedure

Post by raikky »

you said you had no chance of doing it in your time. so the simple thing when you know tat is to go up to your manager and tell him/her 'I don't have any opportunity to lapse today'

remember, if traffic is above model, then no collapsing. I never lapse when its above model but we have plenty of idiots who come in early miss their break, collapse and come back moaning complaining teyve gone over.

lol my manager come round a few days ago and said 'do you have 30 minutes spare to take some extra out?' 'no' and he walks off. best thing is to give them short affirm answers until they bugger off and pick on someone else
Tuffers1875
Posts: 146
Joined: 14 Nov 2012, 15:27
Gender: Male

Re: lapsing proceedure

Post by Tuffers1875 »

Lapsing ain't going away according to our DOM. Not enough staff, so it's a way to get at least one duty covered :thumbdown
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: lapsing proceedure

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

Richard007 wrote:
ganda wrote:Correct procedure: If you think you will not be able to finish with the lapsing included, tell manger before you go out. The ball is then in their court. If you can't finish, when your on delivery, give them a ring to tell them so. Do you part and you should be safe.
Well where are we supposed to ring them from ? there are no call boxs anymore & don't have a mobile if I did it's not right me paying to ring them !
I take lapsing on Tuesday & Saturday & maybe if workload permits I will take it on other days but mostly my round goes into extended delivery anyway so I just tell manager before I leave office , really annoying though that some posties come in 30 -40 mins early so they do their lapsing & make the rest of us seem lazy

Use your PDA to call the office
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: lapsing proceedure

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

raikky wrote:you said you had no chance of doing it in your time. so the simple thing when you know tat is to go up to your manager and tell him/her 'I don't have any opportunity to lapse today'

remember, if traffic is above model, then no collapsing. I never lapse when its above model but we have plenty of idiots who come in early miss their break, collapse and come back moaning complaining teyve gone over.

lol my manager come round a few days ago and said 'do you have 30 minutes spare to take some extra out?' 'no' and he walks off. best thing is to give them short affirm answers until they bugger off and pick on someone else

It surprises me how many posties are oblivious to their office model week traffic figures, a little bit of knowledge would go a long way help reduce the bullying caused by managers, if posties went and got those figures its the best ammo they can use when saying no i dont have time, cant really argue with the figures because the DOM agreed to them in the first place, its what he built his house of cards out of
Cut Off King
Posts: 1078
Joined: 23 Jun 2009, 21:18
Gender: Female

Re: lapsing proceedure

Post by Cut Off King »

What are the CWU doing about this.......Oh thats right, nothing as they agreed to it.
raikky
Posts: 212
Joined: 19 Jun 2011, 01:09
Gender: Female

Re: lapsing proceedure

Post by raikky »

its like what is said above knowledge is key. but most people would rather moan and cry about it than do owt about it. there are plenty of rules in place for this kind of thing and many others. you just have to know the system.

lfor example

if your model traffic is 50000 for a Monday. and you manager than calculates it all out and comes out with 50000 as the actual figure. that means everything should be able to be completed without any overtime.if its over, say 1000, the manager will prob have a rough idea beforehand and bring part timers in early to compensate for this.if its under, then there are more hours in the office than workload,(hence the need for lapsing) so if your traffic is above model, then its likely that you may even go over on your duty. this information is gold for you so use it.

now the problem can be that managers might not even bother to check the traffic. I think a lot of it is computed but our manager says this gives an incorrect figure so we count all our boxes or large small etc and he challenges these figures to his dsm etc.

(if im wrong about the above tha correct me but this is what our manager told us ..
Glenno
Posts: 1491
Joined: 05 Jun 2007, 13:12

Re: lapsing proceedure

Post by Glenno »

A2B wrote:
Richard007 wrote: Well where are we supposed to ring them from ? there are no call boxs anymore & don't have a mobile if I did it's not right me paying to ring them !
I take lapsing on Tuesday & Saturday & maybe if workload permits I will take it on other days but mostly my round goes into extended delivery anyway so I just tell manager before I leave office , really annoying though that some posties come in 30 -40 mins early so they do their lapsing & make the rest of us seem lazy
People using their own phones to contact managers is one thing that really annoys me and i see mentioned on here very often, they are employed to manage let them decide before you go out what you should take or leave behind. If they want us to contact them they need to supply the means and before it's mentioned we have not been shown how to use the phone function on the pda and were told from the start not to use it for calls.
This second quote annoys me, the PDA is a bit of kit to be used appropiately, If you have not been trained on how to use it FULLY don't bloody sign it off on the resign, if needs be I and others on here can advice on using the phone on the PDA, I think Fishtank done summit on this a while ago :wave :wave