ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Special Leave, Sick Leave, Unpaid Leave, Annual Leave - Help

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Syze
Posts: 161
Joined: 16 Jun 2010, 03:15
Gender: Male

Special Leave, Sick Leave, Unpaid Leave, Annual Leave - Help

Post by Syze »

So we have a new DIM in our place who seems to be a bit of a dick. I have very young twin babies and they're both sick at the moment. It has been a brutal week with very little sleep and after one completely sleepless night I had to call my Line Manager and inform him I couldn't make it into work due to a combination of being exhausted, having an exhausted wife and needing to look after my sick children. My Lino is great and said he would put it down as special leave. I'm back to work after one day off, despite having had little rest. Today my Lino told me the DIM won't authorise special leave OR sick leave. He says to qualify for sick leave I would have to be sick, not my children - does exhaustion count? To qualify for special leave I would need to PROVE that my children were sick. Should I film them squealing at 3AM and show him the video? He's saying the day I took off has to be put down as annual leave or unpaid leave. I'm a bit miffed. Do I have any recourse here?
Judgee
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2262
Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18

Re: Special Leave, Sick Leave, Unpaid Leave, Annual Leave -

Post by Judgee »

Doesn't it come under domestic stress which can be paid or unpaid leave depending on your DOM? :hmmmm
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
Himaggen
Posts: 993
Joined: 09 Oct 2007, 23:40

Re: Special Leave, Sick Leave, Unpaid Leave, Annual Leave -

Post by Himaggen »

You were told that it would be special leave they should not, after you having taken that time, change their mind.

Tell the DOM that you expect the special leave will be honoured, and that if the Under Managers are failing to manage absence according to their liking then that is an issue which should not be to your detriment.
edbling
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 33
Joined: 15 Mar 2011, 09:23
Gender: Male

Re: Special Leave, Sick Leave, Unpaid Leave, Annual Leave -

Post by edbling »

Syze wrote:So we have a new DIM in our place who seems to be a bit of a dick. I have very young twin babies and they're both sick at the moment. It has been a brutal week with very little sleep and after one completely sleepless night I had to call my Line Manager and inform him I couldn't make it into work due to a combination of being exhausted, having an exhausted wife and needing to look after my sick children. My Lino is great and said he would put it down as special leave. I'm back to work after one day off, despite having had little rest. Today my Lino told me the DIM won't authorise special leave OR sick leave. He says to qualify for sick leave I would have to be sick, not my children - does exhaustion count? To qualify for special leave I would need to PROVE that my children were sick. Should I film them squealing at 3AM and show him the video? He's saying the day I took off has to be put down as annual leave or unpaid leave. I'm a bit miffed. Do I have any recourse here?
you are allowed 1 day off for dependent care per year, paid.
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Re: Special Leave, Sick Leave, Unpaid Leave, Annual Leave -

Post by rehabron »

Syze wrote:So we have a new DIM in our place who seems to be a bit of a dick. I have very young twin babies and they're both sick at the moment. It has been a brutal week with very little sleep and after one completely sleepless night I had to call my Line Manager and inform him I couldn't make it into work due to a combination of being exhausted, having an exhausted wife and needing to look after my sick children. My Lino is great and said he would put it down as special leave. I'm back to work after one day off, despite having had little rest. Today my Lino told me the DIM won't authorise special leave OR sick leave. He says to qualify for sick leave I would have to be sick, not my children - does exhaustion count? To qualify for special leave I would need to PROVE that my children were sick. Should I film them squealing at 3AM and show him the video? He's saying the day I took off has to be put down as annual leave or unpaid leave. I'm a bit miffed. Do I have any recourse here?
As previously stated you are entitled to special leave paid or unpaid at the discretion of your line manager for URGENT DOMESTIC DISTRESS which was authorised by your lino and then overturned by your DOM.
As you have returned to work within one day considering your domestic situation would expect a reasonable employer to grant this as paid leave.
Is your lino willing to state to your DOM that he authorised the special leave?
You do NOT have to prove to your DOM the reason for special leave being authorised.
Would suggest that you speak to your lino if he is going to support you in his authorising special leave and if so arrange a meeting in the presence of your lino, DOM and union rep.
If still being disputed commence a 2nd stage grievance procedure so that your case can be heard by a higher authority level than your DOM.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16692
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: Special Leave, Sick Leave, Unpaid Leave, Annual Leave -

Post by clashcityrocker »

edbling wrote: you are allowed 1 day off for dependent care per year, paid.
Can you provide a link to the agreement that states that?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16692
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: Special Leave, Sick Leave, Unpaid Leave, Annual Leave -

Post by clashcityrocker »

Syze wrote: My Lino is great and said he would put it down as special leave.
Did he say at any time it would be paid special leave?
Did you assume that was what he meant?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
silly suffolk
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 728
Joined: 04 Mar 2011, 21:31
Gender: Male
Location: deepest suffolk

Re: Special Leave, Sick Leave, Unpaid Leave, Annual Leave -

Post by silly suffolk »

parental leave. up to 4 weeks a year. unpaid. law of the land.
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: Special Leave, Sick Leave, Unpaid Leave, Annual Leave -

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

silly suffolk wrote:parental leave. up to 4 weeks a year. unpaid. law of the land.
Got to give 21 days notice for parental leave
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: Special Leave, Sick Leave, Unpaid Leave, Annual Leave -

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

clashcityrocker wrote:
edbling wrote: you are allowed 1 day off for dependent care per year, paid.
Can you provide a link to the agreement that states that?

It's in the special leave guidance information

http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... hp?id=2528" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
silly suffolk
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 728
Joined: 04 Mar 2011, 21:31
Gender: Male
Location: deepest suffolk

Re: Special Leave, Sick Leave, Unpaid Leave, Annual Leave -

Post by silly suffolk »

zx135 wrote:
silly suffolk wrote:parental leave. up to 4 weeks a year. unpaid. law of the land.
Got to give 21 days notice for parental leave
special leave domestic distress then.
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Re: Special Leave, Sick Leave, Unpaid Leave, Annual Leave -

Post by Postie45 »

if youre kept awake all night, surely you can self cert yourself off sick due to lack of sleep