ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
worried sick
-
mardenq
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16
- Joined: 03 Apr 2008, 09:02
worried sick
Bit of a long story so who ever reads it thanks,i started working as a postman in 97 (part time ),I was in my late 30,s,got made up to full time,im now 56.Ive had lots of run ins with managers over the years with not wanting to go over my time.Next part is probs my own fault but my wife is disabled and needs me to run her round so I have tended to go in 30 mins early and try rush round to get finished,they know my wife has had problems as ive had to take hols ect when shes been in hospital for opps ect.Anyway ive been getting pain and cramps in my legs for the last year and its got worse over the last few weeks,ive thought its just me getting old so done nothing about it.Went back to work Monday after 2 weeks hols and on Monday night could not sleep with pain and cramp,told manager as soon as I went in on Tuesday that I might struggle and after a hour it was getting worse so I told him id have to go sick.(never been on a stage for sick).I went to docs and he sent me to hospital for blood tests,he said the leg pain and cramp is because im over using the muscles then when I finish work and try to relax there cramping up and that's causing more pain then I go and do the same thing again the next day.Told me to stay off and rest for a week and go back to see him Monday when he will have the blood tests back.ive not slept much the last few nights with pain and being worried about what will happen next,hes given me quinine to try help with the leg cramps.i put in for my vr when they were asking people but not heard anything back.Cant see how I will beable to do the job without the pain ect coming back,I had time off work about 6 years ago with work related stress/depression and don't want to end up there again.When I spoke to line manager on Wednesday and told him what was happening and what the doc had said he thinks its just wear and tear with doing the job for 18 years,if the doc puts me on sick when i go back on monday ill no doubt have line manager on case again.is this leg pain /cramp a common problem when doing this job for this long ?
-
Judgee
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2262
- Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18
Re: worried sick
Easy to say but try not to worry. If the worst happens and you are unable to carry on in deliveries there are many other options from switching to an indoor duty sitting down to IHR. Wait and see what happens, it may not be as bad as you are thinking and a few weeks rest might make all the difference! 
Oh and leg pain is common, had various types over the years and mine at least have tended to sort themselves out eventually!
Oh and leg pain is common, had various types over the years and mine at least have tended to sort themselves out eventually!
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: worried sick
As for "is this leg pain /cramp a common problem when doing this job for this long" I've been getting that badly on hot days but not when it's cooler, so maybe the next several months won't be as bad.
-
DB1100
- Posts: 1976
- Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30
Re: worried sick
Try a foam roller,or have a sports massage,plenty of video's on youtube showing you how to go on using a roller,sometimes cramp can be due to not drinking enough water,especially when it's hot
http://www.livestrong.com/article/51329 ... -and-legs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.livestrong.com/article/51329 ... -and-legs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by DB1100 on 26 Sep 2014, 16:56, edited 1 time in total.
For we were soldiers once,and young
-
enskied
- Posts: 1877
- Joined: 16 Aug 2013, 17:14
- Gender: Male
Re: worried sick
I get cramps in my calf muscles, feet and ankles first thing in the mornings, fortunately it loosens up during the day. In your case I would ask for physio, massage from ATOS or whoever they are now, you don't have to be off sick to get preventative/ remedial treatment. Any half decent Dom would arrange that and discuss your care issues with your partner and try to put in a plan.
-
El-Bandito
- Posts: 313
- Joined: 27 Jan 2009, 14:14
- Gender: Male
Re: worried sick
If your manager is giving you a grievance just let him know about the DDA. This law was introduced in 1995 and trust me your manager will give you respect.
The Disability Discrimination Act (DDA) 1995
The Disability Discrimination Act (DDA) 1995
-
glenfiddich
- Posts: 1012
- Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 13:15
Re: worried sick
ive got plantar fasciitis which causes lots of lower leg pains good walking shoes painkillers and lots of stretching exercises is gradually making it better so hang in there and see what doc can do for you
-
BarnsleyLackey
- Posts: 349
- Joined: 24 Aug 2011, 16:07
- Gender: Male
Re: worried sick
Half decent DOM, wouldn't that be a paradox?enskied wrote:I get cramps in my calf muscles, feet and ankles first thing in the mornings, fortunately it loosens up during the day. In your case I would ask for physio, massage from ATOS or whoever they are now, you don't have to be off sick to get preventative/ remedial treatment. Any half decent Dom would arrange that and discuss your care issues with your partner and try to put in a plan.
-
enskied
- Posts: 1877
- Joined: 16 Aug 2013, 17:14
- Gender: Male
Re: worried sick
Yes..Usually. Our DOM is half decent, it causes more trouble than enough though. Shite at work related issues all my way.. Personal stuff quite good, obliging even ..but there is always a sting in the tail if on going. It would be easier if we had a decent DOM or full blownTw@, but we have a half decent one.BarnsleyLackey wrote:Half decent DOM, wouldn't that be a paradox?enskied wrote:I get cramps in my calf muscles, feet and ankles first thing in the mornings, fortunately it loosens up during the day. In your case I would ask for physio, massage from ATOS or whoever they are now, you don't have to be off sick to get preventative/ remedial treatment. Any half decent Dom would arrange that and discuss your care issues with your partner and try to put in a plan.
-
feduppostie
- Posts: 947
- Joined: 24 Jun 2007, 19:46
Re: worried sick
leg cramps at night can be a sign of blood clots so blood tests are a good idea
it can also be a much less worrying sign of dehydration
either way your doc is right to test you
you could try drinking more water for a period and see if it improves ( if blood tests come back ok which I hope they do)
it can also be a much less worrying sign of dehydration
either way your doc is right to test you
you could try drinking more water for a period and see if it improves ( if blood tests come back ok which I hope they do)
-
Dee Plish
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 282
- Joined: 04 Aug 2009, 18:05
- Gender: Male
- Location: Atop many steps
Re: worried sick
Superseded by the Equality Act 2010 http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2010/15/contentsEl-Bandito wrote:If your manager is giving you a grievance just let him know about the DDA. This law was introduced in 1995 and trust me your manager will give you respect.
The Disability Discrimination Act (DDA) 1995
As for managers giving respect ? Took one on a grievance as said manager (in a nutshell) did not have a clue about said act, and used his opinion as gospel against me with no recognition of the law whatsoever. The threat of an employment tribunal which would have butchered R M won my case for me.
mardenq: get the CWU / area safety rep / disability champion involved ASAP. NEVER expect a royal mail manager in 2014 to respect any law but their own, until it looks like the case will get into the courts of the REAL law. Then they poop - big time - and you get justice.
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
Re: worried sick
Almost all managers now are charlatans (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlatan" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) or as I call them bullshiters you only get the coaching manual spiel spat out at you they are work averse ie avoid work by being liars shysters and quacks hence the American name for a dodgy doctor! They consider themselves as god's but are little more than overseer's at the beck call and bite of their overseer's which are even more corrupt than the devil himself.
-
krussel
- Posts: 5300
- Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
- Gender: Male
- Location: Out on the streets.
Re: worried sick
I agree with all the above comments, esp drinking more water. I was getting cramp at nights during the warmer weather so increased my water intake once I got home. Also if possible try to rest for an hour when you finish. Not easy sometimes but force yourself to sit down and read a book or something.
As for going back to work, ask your GP to recommend a spell of reduced light duties. This may be indoor work or perhaps 1/2 of your walk etc.
Hope the blood tests check out ok.
As for going back to work, ask your GP to recommend a spell of reduced light duties. This may be indoor work or perhaps 1/2 of your walk etc.
Hope the blood tests check out ok.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
-
mardenq
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16
- Joined: 03 Apr 2008, 09:02
Re: worried sick
I had made a mistake with appointment,it was today not yesterday,informed line manager of my mistake at 7am yesterday.
Anyway my blood tests came back more or less ok so that was good news,what I have is calf strain and shin splits,because of the pain im getting im finding it difficult to sleep at night and feel really run down at the min.Hes given me 500m naproxen to help with the pain and sleep,also have to take quinine for the cramp.Hes put me on the sick till the end of October when I have to go back and see him to see how its going,hes said the cramp can be delt with by the use of meds and the calf muscle pain should ease up and hes said try a 10 min walk each day then put feet up and rest.The shin splints he is saying can be more of a problem as ill go back to doing whats caused them and they will probs end up returning.To round the morning off when I got back from the docs theres a letter from the office manager saying hes sorry im not well but hes sure they can find something for me to do (he hasn't seen sick note yet),he wants me to go into work tomorrow for a meeting with him,in the mean time I rang my line manager with the news and he has refered it to oc health so I will get a call of them soon
Anyway my blood tests came back more or less ok so that was good news,what I have is calf strain and shin splits,because of the pain im getting im finding it difficult to sleep at night and feel really run down at the min.Hes given me 500m naproxen to help with the pain and sleep,also have to take quinine for the cramp.Hes put me on the sick till the end of October when I have to go back and see him to see how its going,hes said the cramp can be delt with by the use of meds and the calf muscle pain should ease up and hes said try a 10 min walk each day then put feet up and rest.The shin splints he is saying can be more of a problem as ill go back to doing whats caused them and they will probs end up returning.To round the morning off when I got back from the docs theres a letter from the office manager saying hes sorry im not well but hes sure they can find something for me to do (he hasn't seen sick note yet),he wants me to go into work tomorrow for a meeting with him,in the mean time I rang my line manager with the news and he has refered it to oc health so I will get a call of them soon
-
mardenq
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16
- Joined: 03 Apr 2008, 09:02
Re: worried sick
this Saturday is my last day with royal mail,im leaving on ihr.Been off work since 23rd September with lower leg pain(shin splints-calf pain and ankle pain),having to take a cocktail of pills every day at the min (naproxen twice a day--co -codamol 4 times a day-quinine at night for the cramp im getting and amitriptyline at night to help me sleep).also ive had 3 lots of acupuncture and back for a 4th lot on Monday.The physio guy has also reffered me to a back specialist as he thinks I may have a problem in my lower back and need a mri scan.My doctor has said if i keep doing whats causing the pain it would only make it worse.18 years as a postie ,last 3 on a hct duty has done me in--lol.I left school at 15 to start a job and only been unemployed once since then for 4 weeks and that was before I got job at royal mail.Its been a big struggle the last few months with me not being able to help my wife much and her being disabled ive had to rely on my mother whos in her 70,s to take my wife shopping ect.Must say, managers have been very helpful and supportive,both dom and line managers have came to my house with paper work and explained everything to me.i live next to the delivery office and have been my own postman for years,will be strange seeing someone else doing my delivery.