ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Being messed around.
-
Jordanparker92
- Posts: 13
- Joined: 08 Jun 2014, 17:36
- Gender: Male
Being messed around.
I've been working for Royal Mail for Just over a year now .. I've not had a single day holiday because all I get told is that the holiday slots are taken up, they are people that have been here 20 years that can't have holidays .. So you've got no chance.I'm always being sent to different offices. For example I went into work, tied up my round .. Was just about to walk out and they said sorry your supposed to be at the other office .. which is around 12 miles away so me being me, i just went .. But the main thing I'm getting at is that I'm a float, being put on a different round each day but there is 3 people that started after me that have got there own rounds now, I seem to be the only person being put on different town day in and out. I've been messed around that much I don't know what to think anymore, it always seems to be me! Maybe because I use my car .. but also so do they other people that start after me. Any advice? as i feel like i'm being taken for a mug :/ Also been owed 13 hours overtime from May .. That still haven't been sorted!
-
iminavest
- Posts: 39
- Joined: 06 May 2013, 16:13
- Gender: Male
Re: Being messed around.
If you're using your car then you are a mug.
-
Nondescript
- Posts: 232
- Joined: 29 Nov 2013, 16:25
- Gender: Male
Re: Being messed around.
Having recently moved offices myself, I share your pain. It's tough being a reserve, certainly tougher than it was years ago as back then the managers gave you some leeway with respect to claiming overtime that resulted from not knowing the duty too well. All I can offer is that you start at your start time and don't come in early (despite the dirty looks you'll get from some of your P&L partners), and make sure you take your entire break before you leave the office.
During my first week at my new office I was coming in to find that my frame was about 45 minutes prep behind everyone else's, which I didn't let bother me as I knew it meant I would be able to claim overtime. Miraculously, since then it's always been in a much better state of readiness, as the DOM seems to have got the message that I don't come in early and work for nothing. I'm not saying it'll be all s**** and giggles if you do that, but it might make the job that little bit more bearable.
I'm also being sent to other offices, but the DOM phones a taxi - you shouldn't be using your own car to travel. When you get to the other office, the first thing you should do is make arrangements with the DOM for transport back to the office you are based at, and be aware that he may have gone home by the time you finish any overtime, so get his contact details so that he can phone you a taxi when you are finished. Also, make sure that you receive overtime payment up to the point that you return to your 'home' office, as some DOMs will try and pay you only to the time at which you finished delivery.
During my first week at my new office I was coming in to find that my frame was about 45 minutes prep behind everyone else's, which I didn't let bother me as I knew it meant I would be able to claim overtime. Miraculously, since then it's always been in a much better state of readiness, as the DOM seems to have got the message that I don't come in early and work for nothing. I'm not saying it'll be all s**** and giggles if you do that, but it might make the job that little bit more bearable.
I'm also being sent to other offices, but the DOM phones a taxi - you shouldn't be using your own car to travel. When you get to the other office, the first thing you should do is make arrangements with the DOM for transport back to the office you are based at, and be aware that he may have gone home by the time you finish any overtime, so get his contact details so that he can phone you a taxi when you are finished. Also, make sure that you receive overtime payment up to the point that you return to your 'home' office, as some DOMs will try and pay you only to the time at which you finished delivery.
Last edited by Nondescript on 23 Sep 2014, 17:43, edited 1 time in total.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Being messed around.
If you have not had ANY leave since you started working for Royal Mail a year ago, then your manager is breaking the law. You have a statutory RIGHT to have 28 days leave per year (inclusive of bank holidays). That would be grievance No 1.
If you are using your car to go to the other offices, then as long as you have the correct insurance you can claim fuel allowance. If refused - Grievance no 2.
If you are fed up of being used as a gopher then read up on the 2010 agreement and start using it to your benefit. Ie Start at your office, finish at your office and be back at the office at your finishing time. If they refuse Grievance no 3.
If you think you are being treated differently to others - Grievance no 4.
If you are using your car to go to the other offices, then as long as you have the correct insurance you can claim fuel allowance. If refused - Grievance no 2.
If you are fed up of being used as a gopher then read up on the 2010 agreement and start using it to your benefit. Ie Start at your office, finish at your office and be back at the office at your finishing time. If they refuse Grievance no 3.
If you think you are being treated differently to others - Grievance no 4.
Depends on the context but even if he was a mug it shouldn't stop you advising him, unless you think its acceptable to call people names rather than help.iminavest wrote:If you're using your car then you are a mug.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Darren Bent
- Posts: 2150
- Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL
Re: Being messed around.
Maybe a message to Royal Mail head office to inform them about your situation on holidays will force them to take action.
-
Jordanparker92
- Posts: 13
- Joined: 08 Jun 2014, 17:36
- Gender: Male
Re: Being messed around.
Thanks for your help TrueBlueTerrier & the others .. I've spoke to the managers quite a few times, things seem to be done .. then it goes back a step! Hardly ever claim petrol allowance as i think i'm being cheeky claiming it! if this keeps happening after this week ill have to start saying something as it's making me not want to go to work & putting me in bad moods! Just another quick question .. If i left royal mail without having any holidays, would they have to pay me for the full amount that I haven't received?
-
spiderj
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 969
- Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
- Gender: Male
- Location: ctp
Re: Being messed around.
In a word yes
But if you don't mind me saying this....if you don't establish some ground rules in this job ..will the next one be any better?
Its hard to educate some of the managers but it's educating they need.
As others said
Start on time... It's your right.
Claim fuel...its your right..unless you think RM need the cash they've saved?
As for holidays..personally I'd speak to your parent office Dom.explain that you understand they may have issues but as you haven't had a holiday for over a year,you wish to address this asap..if they fob you off...as tbt says stick in a grievance and ask for their boss,s details for the tribunal that you may have to initiate.
Take a break...you will feel better.
Its not easy but give it a go.if you're thinking of leaving it must be bad mate.

But if you don't mind me saying this....if you don't establish some ground rules in this job ..will the next one be any better?
Its hard to educate some of the managers but it's educating they need.
As others said
Start on time... It's your right.
Claim fuel...its your right..unless you think RM need the cash they've saved?
As for holidays..personally I'd speak to your parent office Dom.explain that you understand they may have issues but as you haven't had a holiday for over a year,you wish to address this asap..if they fob you off...as tbt says stick in a grievance and ask for their boss,s details for the tribunal that you may have to initiate.
Take a break...you will feel better.
Its not easy but give it a go.if you're thinking of leaving it must be bad mate.
I won
-
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1923
- Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
- Gender: Male
Re: Being messed around.
So you have ~2 weeks leave from last year and 4.5 weeks leave from this year upto the last full week in March to take? They are taking you for a mug!
... And that's before we talk about travelling time, fuel claims.
Next you will be telling us you do not take your paid breaks (20mins for 4hr day; 30mins for 5hr day; 10mins extra for each addition 2hrs) and/or claim your deserved overtime if you go over.
... And that's before we talk about travelling time, fuel claims.
Next you will be telling us you do not take your paid breaks (20mins for 4hr day; 30mins for 5hr day; 10mins extra for each addition 2hrs) and/or claim your deserved overtime if you go over.
-
Hitcher
- Posts: 1530
- Joined: 20 Sep 2009, 09:59
- Gender: Male
Re: Being messed around.
Do you have the proper insurance to travel to a different place of work than your regular one?
-
ysbrydtawel
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 111
- Joined: 03 Feb 2013, 20:57
- Gender: Male
- Location: South West
Re: Being messed around.
Wow... I don't know where to start. OK, I'll just do this in order.Jordanparker92 wrote:I've been working for Royal Mail for Just over a year now .. I've not had a single day holiday because all I get told is that the holiday slots are taken up, they are people that have been here 20 years that can't have holidays .. So you've got no chance.I'm always being sent to different offices. For example I went into work, tied up my round .. Was just about to walk out and they said sorry your supposed to be at the other office .. which is around 12 miles away so me being me, i just went .. But the main thing I'm getting at is that I'm a float, being put on a different round each day but there is 3 people that started after me that have got there own rounds now, I seem to be the only person being put on different town day in and out. I've been messed around that much I don't know what to think anymore, it always seems to be me! Maybe because I use my car .. but also so do they other people that start after me. Any advice? as i feel like i'm being taken for a mug :/ Also been owed 13 hours overtime from May .. That still haven't been sorted!
This isn't you being taken for a mug - this is Royal Mail treating you like a subhuman and effectively stealing from you, and flagrantly violating your rights. This is what you do:
1. If you haven't yet, join the union. You'll need it. Do it right now, here:
http://www.cwu.org/join.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2. Done? Good. Now, contact your union rep - if there isn't one in your office, there will be an area rep who covers your office and others - find out who it is, and ring them now.
3. Tell them exactly what you have just told us, with the following information in mind:
Royal Mail are breaking the law by not allowing you to have any of your holiday, and explain that you want either reimbursing for your lost holiday allowance immediately, or you want it added on to this year's.
When you tie up a round, and are told 'sorry, you should be in another office', you reply 'That's quite all right. I don't want to drive there, so please could you arrange for transport - also, I want to be back here for my finish time, please.'
You also mention to the union guy that you feel people with lower seniority have picked rounds you weren't even offered.
To be honest, since they owe you a year's worth of holiday and all those wages, not to mention the petrol money, you might consider taking them to an Employment Tribunal if this isn't rectified immediately:
https://www.gov.uk/employment-tribunals ... t-tribunal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Of course, you could just let them carry on, and it'll get worse and worse.
We have a perfect record in aviation: we never left one up there.
-
Lincox
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3485
- Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
- Gender: Male
Re: Being messed around.
I know there must be 1000s of posties out there who are scared sh.t that they will lose their job or not get a fixed term contract renewed, but for god sake you cannot go through life allowing an employer to deprive you of your employment rights. See the DOM tomorrow and ask him for an appointment to discuss all of the points that you have raised. Tell him that you will not be hoodwinked any more and that if he fails to listen to your concerns you will be placing multiple grievances covering each point, and will also raise these seperately with Moya Greene.
-
raikky
- Posts: 212
- Joined: 19 Jun 2011, 01:09
- Gender: Female
Re: Being messed around.
reading that reminded of my first couple of years. knowledge is key. it is also understandable that you fear for your job, thats if your on a temp contract.
about being sent to other offices. let them do that for you. if they ask you to go just say you need a ride. refuse to use your car. i remeber i was at another office for a week. i work on a no overtime policy, and knowing they duties were big, i went to the manager everyday to tell him that. he said take your car out on duty and when its time just go home. i said no ill need dropping back at 2.30 everyday. At the end of the day there the managers let them sort it out. they more or less do nothing but prep walks and thats why they earn more than us.
i cant believe abvout the holiday situation. e-mail moya straight away and get a grievance in asap
about being sent to other offices. let them do that for you. if they ask you to go just say you need a ride. refuse to use your car. i remeber i was at another office for a week. i work on a no overtime policy, and knowing they duties were big, i went to the manager everyday to tell him that. he said take your car out on duty and when its time just go home. i said no ill need dropping back at 2.30 everyday. At the end of the day there the managers let them sort it out. they more or less do nothing but prep walks and thats why they earn more than us.
i cant believe abvout the holiday situation. e-mail moya straight away and get a grievance in asap
-
postslippete
- Posts: 4194
- Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
- Gender: Male
Re: Being messed around.
Yes, email moya at justsayit@royalmail.com
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
-
Jordanparker92
- Posts: 13
- Joined: 08 Jun 2014, 17:36
- Gender: Male
Re: Being messed around.
Thanks for your replys, Usually I would do anything to help anyone out, I've Helped all my managers out many times by being send to different offices, doing overtime. I text my manager just asking what job I will be on tomorrow, It's a job that i've not done before as usually, but it's a Full time Job & I'm only part time? it's pushed me to the Limit. I asked him why are there people that are on the same jobs day in day out that started after me? He text me back saying " it took my 7 years to get my own round, these people will be moved when new starters start " It wouldn't bother me if i was on the same town but a different round, but I'm being sent all over the office on different towns each day.
Feels like there abusing me because they know I will do most things. I'm going to start by going in at my normal time instead of a hour early and not getting paid for it & also finishing at the time i should. I can't stand them walking over me anymore, I will be joining the CWU right now. As for the holidays I'm not sure what to do about them, can somebody tell me that if you leave Royal mail without Without taking any holidays, will you get paid for them?
I don't have the correct car Insurance for my car nope. Even tho I did ask my manager when I started if I'm covered and his answer was Yes. Don't worry i didn't believe this at all.
My dad worked for royal mail for 14 years, told me never to go for the job, Why did i ever apply for it. It's changed so much, it's all about money these days and managers wanting the respect off there managers and bonuses. I've hardly never had any respect.
Feels like there abusing me because they know I will do most things. I'm going to start by going in at my normal time instead of a hour early and not getting paid for it & also finishing at the time i should. I can't stand them walking over me anymore, I will be joining the CWU right now. As for the holidays I'm not sure what to do about them, can somebody tell me that if you leave Royal mail without Without taking any holidays, will you get paid for them?
I don't have the correct car Insurance for my car nope. Even tho I did ask my manager when I started if I'm covered and his answer was Yes. Don't worry i didn't believe this at all.
My dad worked for royal mail for 14 years, told me never to go for the job, Why did i ever apply for it. It's changed so much, it's all about money these days and managers wanting the respect off there managers and bonuses. I've hardly never had any respect.
-
spiderj
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 969
- Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
- Gender: Male
- Location: ctp
Re: Being messed around.
Take a big breath..........
And relax......
Follow the advice from some of the above....
Establish ground rules
Respect is a two way thing
If you're being shuffled needlessly and not getting stat holidays.
Use the procedures in place...
And keep going...don't stop...et 1 if need be.
And relax......
Follow the advice from some of the above....
Establish ground rules
Respect is a two way thing
If you're being shuffled needlessly and not getting stat holidays.
Use the procedures in place...
And keep going...don't stop...et 1 if need be.
I won